Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does this work on Windows 8? I get XNA path errors

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Tech Support >> Does this work on Windows 8? I get XNA path errors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does this work on Windows 8? I get XNA path errors - 1/12/2013 5:55:17 PM   
RangerRob

I tried to use the demo, but I am not getting much luck with it. I installed and chose to upgrade the 3 items at the end (NET, DirectX, XNA). I get the launch screen ok, but when I choose an option to load the game up, it gave me an error about not being able to find some .png in UnitDecals. The full path was something like Users\[myusername]\Documents\Western Civ..\Conflict...\Settings\Data\UnitDecals\German...png

I created a symbolic link over to the C:\Matrix Games\Conflict...\Data directory for that, and then I got another error of something missing in the path. So moved over the 2 settings files in my Settings directory to the C:\Matrix Games\Conflict...\ directory and created a symbolic link from Documents\Settings-> C:\Matrix Games\Conflict...\ That got it past more errors, but it eventually said something about an error with DamageLibrary.xml .. which I could not even find anywhere in the install directories.

Is this some kind compatibility problem with Windows 8 (and XNA?) not setting up paths correctly? I did turn off my Windows Defender (AV) before running the install.
Post #: 1
RE: Does this work on Windows 8? I get XNA path errors - 1/12/2013 6:20:28 PM   
junk2drive

I installed on W8 and don't recall your kind of problems. I used my login, with admin rights but I have run into some things that I have had to log in to the admin account in order to do them. I don't have any outside AV installed. Sounds like something prevented the Documents/WCS folders from being set up.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to RangerRob)
Post #: 2
RE: Does this work on Windows 8? I get XNA path errors - 1/12/2013 8:06:17 PM   
RangerRob

Thanks for the reply and your experience. I just tried reinstalling Windows 8 Pro clean and then right after doing the CoH Demo install and I got the same thing. Perhaps it is just an issue with the Demo and W8 or something off with my system.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: Does this work on Windows 8? I get XNA path errors - 1/14/2013 3:49:47 PM   
ericbabe

Thanks for the report. We've sometimes encountered this sort of problem on Win7 machines as well, and it seems to be related to security settings within Windows (on in AV programs) that are preventing the game from reading/writing to files in the (My)Documents location. Try running with an Admin account or elevating the game to have admin privileges. If you have any AV software that restricts the way that applications and read/write files, make sure it allows COH to use the (My)Documents location.

(in reply to RangerRob)
Post #: 4
RE: Does this work on Windows 8? I get XNA path errors - 1/14/2013 4:11:57 PM   
RangerRob

Thank you for the suggestions. My account is in the Administrators group, and I also tried running the install from a Command Shell (Admin) in Windows 8. I did this from a fresh install of Windows 8 and still had the same issue. I did turn of the Windows Defender (built in Windows AV). I am not sure what else to try with it at this point.

I did not try to run the game as administrator, but just tested that. I did both the install again and game run using the "Run as Administrator" option. I still get the same error.

< Message edited by RangerRob -- 1/14/2013 4:45:31 PM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 5
RE: Does this work on Windows 8? I get XNA path errors - 1/14/2013 6:15:18 PM   
ericbabe

Would you mind posting more precisely the path that looks like "Users\[myusername]\Documents\Western Civ..\Conflict...\Settings\Data\UnitDecals\German...png"? The Data folder shouldn't be under the Settings folder, and, reading over my code, I'm not sure how it's looking for a file there. To get this directory path the program queries the operating system for the location of the Documents folder, but looking at the Microsoft documentation, this should work the same way under W8 as under W7, and even if this were the problem, I'm not sure why it would cause this Data and Settings issue. Do you have a Documents\West Civ...\Conflict...\Data\UnitDecals directory? (It should probably be empty, but, after running the game the directory should exist. If this directory doesn't exist, then it's likely some Windows security measure is preventing the game from creating this directory, and if so, I can look further into trying to figure out what that is.)

(in reply to RangerRob)
Post #: 6
RE: Does this work on Windows 8? I get XNA path errors - 1/14/2013 6:19:56 PM   
ericbabe

p.s. If the game can't create the proper directories because of Windows security, then it may be possible to create them by hand. The directory structure looks like this:

Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear
Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Data
Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Data\Maps
Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Data\Scenarios
Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Data\UnitDecals
Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Save
Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Save\Multiplayer
Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Screenshots
Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Settings

There may also be this, I'm not sure:
Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Log

Please ascertain whether this directory structure exists after you try running the game. We might try creating these by hand if they don't exist since the issue then may be that the game is being prevented from creating these directories.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 7
RE: Does this work on Windows 8? I get XNA path errors - 1/14/2013 7:13:23 PM   
ericbabe

I tested this routine, and on my Win7 machine Windows returns an absolute path to my Documents folder (something like "E:\Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\") though now that I think about it, I did change my Documents location from the default location under Users, so maybe that's why it's doing this.

Had you changed any Win8 settings with respect to the location of the Documents folder?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 8
RE: Does this work on Windows 8? I get XNA path errors - 1/20/2013 4:45:28 AM   
RangerRob

Thank you for your suggestions and response to my issue. I am sorry it has taken me a few days to get back with you, I had some other stuff come up.
I did not make any changes to the documents location, everything is default

The full path it is this if I do a 'Run as Administrator' or normally is:
C:\Users\[myusername]\Documents\Western Civization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\UnitDecals\GermanDecal_001.png

Oddly , I got this path the first time I tried to run it normally. Nothing was created on the drive after running it this way. After running as admin the first time, the paths above were created and I no longer get this one:
C:\Users\[myusername]\Documents\UnitDecals\GermanDecal_001.png

The directories you list above are all created within the first path I list above.

I did manage to get it working after figuring out a work around. When I load the game, it runs the autorun.exe it seems, which brings up the little game launch menu where I can choose the Configuration (board style) and then run the game as high or low res. If I click on one of the 3 configuration options first, it says changing, but then when I go to load the game, it gives me the error. If I instead choose a configuration option, exit the launcher app, and then load it back up and go click on play, it loads up no problem. The configuration option does actually get set and remembered, so its not a big deal, other than of course I never tried that. Although, I may also have to run it once as 'Run as Administrator', since the path wasn't right before I did that (or maybe I just needed to run it once as admin or non-admin and the second time it would work)

Thanks for the help again.

< Message edited by RangerRob -- 1/20/2013 4:51:52 AM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 9
RE: Does this work on Windows 8? I get XNA path errors - 1/21/2013 3:51:53 PM   
ericbabe

Glad to hear you got it working. I wish I knew a way to get around these security-related issues.

(in reply to RangerRob)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Tech Support >> Does this work on Windows 8? I get XNA path errors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI