sidewinder

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Duck Doc

sidewinder

Post by Duck Doc »

From my poking around at the game website I am thinking this is commanding-one-side-in-World-War-4-by-ordering-the-launch-of-every-sidewinder type of game. Would this be correct?
Dimitris

RE: sidewinder

Post by Dimitris »

A more accurate description would be "you _can_ order the launch of a single Sidewinder on lock-on-after-launch mode in high-parabolic trajectory with minimum loft time and with thrust-vectoring engaged, but you don't _have_ to."

From the first line of code, one of our primary design guidelines has been "minimum number of clicks per desired action".

Units, either acting individually or as part of a group or a mission (or both), follow sensible defaults with regards to detecting unknown units, identifying them, prosecuting them if relevant to their tasking, and avoiding enemy fire. These default behaviors can be tweaked by various mission-specific settings (if X do Y), RoE settings (which can be automatically inherited or overriden, a _major_ time-saver) and other options.

The player can intervene manually to finetune an action if he thinks he can come up with something better.

If you have browsed on our product page and watched the videos, you've already seen the units launch weapons and take other actions completely on their own, after being given only the most general directions by the player. This is not accidental.

And we are continuously working to refine the tactical AI to do even better.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Dale H

From my poking around at the game website I am thinking this is commanding-one-side-in-World-War-4-by-ordering-the-launch-of-every-sidewinder type of game. Would this be correct?

Hi Dale.

Thanks for posting in.

It can be if you'd like it to be. We've automated much of the commands but you'd can also do manual plots and weapons allocation as well. We find that players go either or so we've got the options to do both.

I really view this game as a strike warfare simulation. Its really about planning and executing the perfect strike while preventing your opponent from doing the same.

M

Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

Thanks, both. Interesting. I will have to take a closer look. Reassuring also.
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

Yeah, I watched one of the videos and read up on some of this at the site. Really seems to be a nice balance of user control vs. autonomous operation, and I'm pretty psyched to see the final product.
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

Watched some of the videos & I see now how things work. I am impressed. Hurry, please.
wodin

Post by wodin »

If I can afford it I'm looking forward to the Falklands scenarios..and then any scenarios with nuclear weapons!!
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Dale H

Watched some of the videos & I see now how things work. I am impressed. Hurry, please.

We'll do our best. Thanks!
sprior

Post by sprior »

any scenarios with nuclear weapons!!

I can do that:

1. Pour lighter fluid on PC
2. Apply flame.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”