Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need advice on color shade

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Need advice on color shade Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need advice on color shade - 1/11/2013 10:33:14 PM   
Hotschi

Trying to get some late war planes appearing an all-blue scheme - as far as I know there's no Dauntless or Avenger available in this scheme - so I played around with a Avenger bmp. I just took any Avenger bmp I could find.

This is what it looks now;

Looks a bit... well odd. Needs to be darker me thinks?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hotschi -- 1/11/2013 10:34:08 PM >

"One day, Tom, you'll be standing on a box on your bridge, and your ship will be smashed to pieces by bombers and torpedo aircraft; as she sinks, your last words will be "That was a f**ing great mine!""
- Air Marshal Arthur Harris to Adm Tom Phillips
Post #: 1
RE: Need advice on color shade - 1/13/2013 3:03:50 AM   
Halsey

Here's your same TBM.
Had to use my Adobe Photoshop, then re-whiten the background to draw opaque on a new background.

Attachment (1)

AE WITP Land Air Bitmap downloads

https://sites.google.com/site/aewitplandairartwork/home/ae-witp-bitmap-downloads

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 2
RE: Need advice on color shade - 1/13/2013 4:52:43 AM   
Reg

The reason I didn't put overall Glossy Sea Blue for these types in the Revolving Aircraft Artwork Set was as follows:

Bureau of Aeronautics, SR-2d - Amendment 1, "Specification for Exterior Colors, Insignia and Markings of Naval Aircraft" - Fighter Scheme was issued on 13 March 1944 and authorised overall blue for fighters. Bombers appear to have remained in the three colour Standard Camouflage Scheme.

Bureau of Aeronautics, SR-2e dated 26 Jun 1944 seems to have extended overall Glossy Sea Blue to all Carrier-based Aircraft though similar shore-based aircraft were not mentioned, so they kept the basic nonspecular (three colour) camouflage scheme.

Ref: http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/usn_e.htm

However, very few wartime aircraft were repainted whilst in service so in actual practice the updated colour specifications were only applied to new aircraft. It would have been some months before the new colours applied at the factory arrived at the front line squadrons. Older aircraft soldiered on with the livery they were delivered in. This process can be seen in sites like WINGS PALETTE where Glossy Sea Blue for TBMs only appears "circa 1945" and there is a mixture of old and new schemes until 1946 when the Glossy Sea Blue becomes prevalent. (Either the USN started repainting their planes or the older ones had been retired).

The Revolving Aircraft Artwork set reflects this by new aircraft models which appear in late '44 or '45 having Glossy Sea Blue colour schemes whilst the older ones retain their three tone schemes. With only one graphic for each aircraft type, it's all of a bit of a compromise but what can you do??

< Message edited by Reg -- 1/13/2013 5:21:05 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has introduced a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 3
RE: Need advice on color shade - 1/13/2013 7:17:01 PM   
Hotschi

Excellent Halsey, your blue is way better than mine. I too used Photoshop, first reducing the colors to b/w then applied "80 per cent overlay" of the blue color (I use a German Photoshop version, don't know the English terms of the various tools) to keep the structural background of the plane.

Now If you find the time to do a planetops, and also do the same with the SBD, I'd be very thankful again!

Reg, I do not question your reasoning why you didn't do this scheme. I was sure before that you had a very good reason for it. The reason I want to get carrier-based planes in this scheme, is pretty simple; the game ends in March 1946. By this time, I reckon, there'd be enough newly manufactured planes arriving at the front line, so why not have them appear in Glossy Sea Blue

"One day, Tom, you'll be standing on a box on your bridge, and your ship will be smashed to pieces by bombers and torpedo aircraft; as she sinks, your last words will be "That was a f**ing great mine!""

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 4
RE: Need advice on color shade - 1/13/2013 11:24:33 PM   
Halsey

SBD

Attachment (1)

https://sites.google.com/site/aewitplandairartwork/home/ae-witp-bitmap-downloads

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 5
RE: Need advice on color shade - 1/13/2013 11:25:15 PM   
Halsey

TBM Top

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 6
RE: Need advice on color shade - 1/13/2013 11:25:59 PM   
Halsey

SBD Top

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 7
RE: Need advice on color shade - 1/13/2013 11:26:33 PM   
Halsey

Here you go!

You'll have to renumber them though.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 8
RE: Need advice on color shade - 1/14/2013 9:34:27 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

Reg, I do not question your reasoning why you didn't do this scheme. I was sure before that you had a very good reason for it. The reason I want to get carrier-based planes in this scheme, is pretty simple; the game ends in March 1946. By this time, I reckon, there'd be enough newly manufactured planes arriving at the front line, so why not have them appear in Glossy Sea Blue

Hi Hotschi, No problems at all. I was just letting you know why the art work wasn't there.

Are you aware how you can install Halsey's art so it will automatically replace the three tone scheme at some time in '45?

If not, let me know and I'll post the instructions for you. It's pretty simple.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has introduced a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 9
RE: Need advice on color shade - 1/15/2013 7:51:33 PM   
Hotschi

Thank you Halsey, very much appreciated!

Reg thanks for the offer, but I know it in theory how it works - the same way as all the other rotating art work made by you.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Need advice on color shade Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI