Invasions and AI

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

Orm

Invasions and AI

Post by Orm »

To me it seems as the AI overreacts to a threat of invasion. I have several times moved a transport next to the enemy coast and the AI promptly moves units to the shore to defend versus an invasion. But when I left the transport in that coastal hex I noticed that the AI kept moving units to defend against the possible invasion. The AI apparently decided to defend in depth versus the invasion threat. This is a problem since the AI removes units from the front line to do this.

A couple of examples.

1) I had trouble advancing down Italy when I decided to try and invade Taranto with AH. The AI guarded Taranto versus this threat. But as I stayed with the transport there the AI shipped so many units to the Taranto area that the northern front was almost abandoned. I could just march south. When I reached Rome Italy had a unit defending there but it was also sent to the Taranto area so I could just march into Rome. This caused Italy to surrender with an entire army in the Taranto area. To me it would seem a better priority to use it to defend Rome than Taranto versus 1 lousy exhausted garrison.

2) Late war I launched an Turkish attack versus the Suez canal but I got no where at all. Even though I had artillery and air support. The Turkish units were just to weak. I moved a transport next to Alexandria and the AI moved a lot of units to Alexandria and into the desert south west of Alexandria. This weakened the Suez front so much that Great Britain had no units to replace the weakened front line units. After about ten turns I had advanced far enough to capture Cairo. During all these 10 turns I had that transport move along the Egypt coast west of Alexandria. I was surprised to find that the AI had about ten units in the desert defending it against my invasion threat that was a garrison with a zero in efficiency.

I've gotten the same over reaction from the AI when it controls the CP.

I also wonder if a unit should be allowed to stay at sea indefinitely without losing any strength?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
kirk23

RE: Invasions and AI

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

To me it seems as the AI overreacts to a threat of invasion. I have several times moved a transport next to the enemy coast and the AI promptly moves units to the shore to defend versus an invasion. But when I left the transport in that coastal hex I noticed that the AI kept moving units to defend against the possible invasion. The AI apparently decided to defend in depth versus the invasion threat. This is a problem since the AI removes units from the front line to do this.

A couple of examples.

1) I had trouble advancing down Italy when I decided to try and invade Taranto with AH. The AI guarded Taranto versus this threat. But as I stayed with the transport there the AI shipped so many units to the Taranto area that the northern front was almost abandoned. I could just march south. When I reached Rome Italy had a unit defending there but it was also sent to the Taranto area so I could just march into Rome. This caused Italy to surrender with an entire army in the Taranto area. To me it would seem a better priority to use it to defend Rome than Taranto versus 1 lousy exhausted garrison.

2) Late war I launched an Turkish attack versus the Suez canal but I got no where at all. Even though I had artillery and air support. The Turkish units were just to weak. I moved a transport next to Alexandria and the AI moved a lot of units to Alexandria and into the desert south west of Alexandria. This weakened the Suez front so much that Great Britain had no units to replace the weakened front line units. After about ten turns I had advanced far enough to capture Cairo. During all these 10 turns I had that transport move along the Egypt coast west of Alexandria. I was surprised to find that the AI had about ten units in the desert defending it against my invasion threat that was a garrison with a zero in efficiency.

I've gotten the same over reaction from the AI when it controls the CP.

I also wonder if a unit should be allowed to stay at sea indefinitely without losing any strength?

I recently attempted an early war invasion of Germany from Britain,and before I got anywhere near the coast,the AI starts defending the coast area,fog of war,what fog of war,how can you make a surprise attack against the AI when it knows whats happening.![&:]
Make it so!
Orm

Post by Orm »

The AI does indeed seem to be able to see through the fog of war. Many times have I've seen the AI react to things I've done behind the front that should have been invisible. And I know for sure that there has been no aircraft scouting for the AI at many of those occasions.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Rodia

Post by Rodia »

ORIGINAL: Orm

The AI does indeed seem to be able to see through the fog of war. Many times have I've seen the AI react to things I've done behind the front that should have been invisible. And I know for sure that there has been no aircraft scouting for the AI at many of those occasions.

Mata Hari.
Myrddraal

Post by Myrddraal »

Remember that coastal cities have a LOS of 1 into the sea.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

AI cheats, never[8|]

Next problem, AI doesnt react to my invasions [:'(].

Somehow it must be given a priority to cover all contested ZOC before gathering enough for covering all contested hexes.
Therefore it only has to cover the landing but doesnt leave gaps in the front line.
Of course its in deep doo doo if it hasnt enough units to cover both, which is of course a good reason for the invasion. (Anzio done right!)
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Return to “Commander - The Great War”