Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Invasions and AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Invasions and AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Invasions and AI - 1/10/2013 10:12:29 PM   
Orm

To me it seems as the AI overreacts to a threat of invasion. I have several times moved a transport next to the enemy coast and the AI promptly moves units to the shore to defend versus an invasion. But when I left the transport in that coastal hex I noticed that the AI kept moving units to defend against the possible invasion. The AI apparently decided to defend in depth versus the invasion threat. This is a problem since the AI removes units from the front line to do this.

A couple of examples.

1) I had trouble advancing down Italy when I decided to try and invade Taranto with AH. The AI guarded Taranto versus this threat. But as I stayed with the transport there the AI shipped so many units to the Taranto area that the northern front was almost abandoned. I could just march south. When I reached Rome Italy had a unit defending there but it was also sent to the Taranto area so I could just march into Rome. This caused Italy to surrender with an entire army in the Taranto area. To me it would seem a better priority to use it to defend Rome than Taranto versus 1 lousy exhausted garrison.

2) Late war I launched an Turkish attack versus the Suez canal but I got no where at all. Even though I had artillery and air support. The Turkish units were just to weak. I moved a transport next to Alexandria and the AI moved a lot of units to Alexandria and into the desert south west of Alexandria. This weakened the Suez front so much that Great Britain had no units to replace the weakened front line units. After about ten turns I had advanced far enough to capture Cairo. During all these 10 turns I had that transport move along the Egypt coast west of Alexandria. I was surprised to find that the AI had about ten units in the desert defending it against my invasion threat that was a garrison with a zero in efficiency.

I've gotten the same over reaction from the AI when it controls the CP.

I also wonder if a unit should be allowed to stay at sea indefinitely without losing any strength?

"It would seem that you have no useful skill or talent whatsoever," he said.
"Have you thought of going into teaching?"
Post #: 1
RE: Invasions and AI - 1/10/2013 11:21:23 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

To me it seems as the AI overreacts to a threat of invasion. I have several times moved a transport next to the enemy coast and the AI promptly moves units to the shore to defend versus an invasion. But when I left the transport in that coastal hex I noticed that the AI kept moving units to defend against the possible invasion. The AI apparently decided to defend in depth versus the invasion threat. This is a problem since the AI removes units from the front line to do this.

A couple of examples.

1) I had trouble advancing down Italy when I decided to try and invade Taranto with AH. The AI guarded Taranto versus this threat. But as I stayed with the transport there the AI shipped so many units to the Taranto area that the northern front was almost abandoned. I could just march south. When I reached Rome Italy had a unit defending there but it was also sent to the Taranto area so I could just march into Rome. This caused Italy to surrender with an entire army in the Taranto area. To me it would seem a better priority to use it to defend Rome than Taranto versus 1 lousy exhausted garrison.

2) Late war I launched an Turkish attack versus the Suez canal but I got no where at all. Even though I had artillery and air support. The Turkish units were just to weak. I moved a transport next to Alexandria and the AI moved a lot of units to Alexandria and into the desert south west of Alexandria. This weakened the Suez front so much that Great Britain had no units to replace the weakened front line units. After about ten turns I had advanced far enough to capture Cairo. During all these 10 turns I had that transport move along the Egypt coast west of Alexandria. I was surprised to find that the AI had about ten units in the desert defending it against my invasion threat that was a garrison with a zero in efficiency.

I've gotten the same over reaction from the AI when it controls the CP.

I also wonder if a unit should be allowed to stay at sea indefinitely without losing any strength?

I recently attempted an early war invasion of Germany from Britain,and before I got anywhere near the coast,the AI starts defending the coast area,fog of war,what fog of war,how can you make a surprise attack against the AI when it knows whats happening.!

Make it so!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2
RE: Invasions and AI - 1/10/2013 11:49:03 PM   
Orm

The AI does indeed seem to be able to see through the fog of war. Many times have I've seen the AI react to things I've done behind the front that should have been invisible. And I know for sure that there has been no aircraft scouting for the AI at many of those occasions.

"It would seem that you have no useful skill or talent whatsoever," he said.
"Have you thought of going into teaching?"

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 3
RE: Invasions and AI - 1/10/2013 11:51:49 PM   
Rodia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

The AI does indeed seem to be able to see through the fog of war. Many times have I've seen the AI react to things I've done behind the front that should have been invisible. And I know for sure that there has been no aircraft scouting for the AI at many of those occasions.

Mata Hari.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4
RE: Invasions and AI - 1/10/2013 11:58:27 PM   
Myrddraal

Remember that coastal cities have a LOS of 1 into the sea.

(in reply to Rodia)
Post #: 5
RE: Invasions and AI - 1/11/2013 1:47:33 AM   
JeffK

AI cheats, never

Next problem, AI doesnt react to my invasions .

Somehow it must be given a priority to cover all contested ZOC before gathering enough for covering all contested hexes.
Therefore it only has to cover the landing but doesnt leave gaps in the front line.
Of course its in deep doo doo if it hasnt enough units to cover both, which is of course a good reason for the invasion. (Anzio done right!)

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Invasions and AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI