Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Riga/Lvov on turn one

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Riga/Lvov on turn one Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Riga/Lvov on turn one - 1/10/2013 8:13:07 PM   
The Guru

Hi there

I see AAR's reporting Riga lost to the Germans on turn 1. How the hell do they do that? It seems to me that the only units that can attack from the rigth side of the river are the 6th and 1st and they never get more than 1 to 1 odds?
What is this Riga gambit thing and how is it done?
Similarly, I also see AAR's with a panzer unit sealing the large Lvov pocket adjacent to the Rumanian border... I can't get that far!!! What do I do wrong...

Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a large looser Lvov pocket (that can subsequently be broken) vs a smaller but unbreakable one?

any help?

Thanks a lot!!

< Message edited by The Guru -- 1/10/2013 8:54:31 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Riga/Lvov on turn one - 1/10/2013 8:55:41 PM   
Blubel

What you say about Riga is completly right, and it works. You move 2 Panzerdivisions to the right side of the river and make hasty attacks. They should have enough MP for 2 attacks and the division in Riga will not hold against that.

As for Lvov it depends. Obviously you will be faster on your way to Kiev, if the pocket is sealed. On the other hand, if it is loose you will ultimatly beg more units and face less oposition thereafter. It might also cause your opponent to stick his neck out and try to prolong the struggle of the pocket. It might however also lead to him being scared away and not fighting before the river. What you want to do is mainly a personal thing. If you go for a loose pocket make sure to clear away the railways for the next turn and to put units on it if possible.

(in reply to The Guru)
Post #: 2
RE: Riga/Lvov on turn one - 1/10/2013 8:58:10 PM   
Blubel

As for the rumanian border you need to keep one of the panzer divisions closest to the border out of the fighting. You have to move it through completly cleared terrain to the border. I think there is a thread about how to do this in the war room.

(in reply to Blubel)
Post #: 3
RE: Riga/Lvov on turn one - 1/10/2013 9:37:22 PM   
SuluSea

If the Lvov pocket is done correctly it's locked down. In AGN,AGC & AGS I designate forces for the rear to cleanup and keep everything else heading East. It's most important (IMO anyway)to have forces with plenty of support at the spearheads so the ones in the rear are for the most part Corps that don't have support attached at the beginning or weaker units. I beleive it's in Q-Balls AAR about not only capturing Riga but shipping troops there as well after capture on turn 1...

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to Blubel)
Post #: 4
RE: Riga/Lvov on turn one - 1/10/2013 9:49:07 PM   
The Guru

Thanks

But it's kinda driving me crazy , but the most upfront Panzer div there is is the 11th and even when I run tests having cleared the way of all soviet units and desactivating movement FoW.. I don't have enough mov points to get to the border!!!
Is there any one there who can give me a hint about the path they use?!!!

I just don't understand

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 5
RE: Riga/Lvov on turn one - 1/10/2013 9:50:17 PM   
Klydon

The War Room has some sticked threads that have maps and discussion for the openings. The big thing that doesn't work anymore is turn 1 sea lift.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2754001

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 6
RE: Riga/Lvov on turn one - 1/11/2013 1:03:50 AM   
SigUp

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2694636&mpage=1&key=

This thread describes the evolution that led to the Lvov opener. But if you are playing against the AI I advise you not to use it. The game will become too easy then, as the AI is not as capable as a human in delaying and giving ground as a human.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Riga/Lvov on turn one Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI