Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cutting off all Soviet Units from Stalingrad to the Urals

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Cutting off all Soviet Units from Stalingrad to the Urals Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cutting off all Soviet Units from Stalingrad to the Urals - 1/9/2013 11:16:16 PM   
matrixben

I am an Axis player playing against AI and wanted to advance to the Urals. Problem is, I will have captured enough points to achieve decisive victory before reaching Kazan and Chelyabinsk (one of two Soviet's permanent supply sources) in the Urals.

1. To shed victory points, I purposely let the Soviets recapture Syzran, Saratov / Engels, Gorky and Ulyanovsk before my attacks. Once I captured Chelyabinsk, all Soviet forces north and west of it are cut off.

I then noticed that I can do better by cutting the railway lines that link the rest of the Soviet forces from Baku (the other permanent supply source) and thus cutting all formations north of the Caucasus.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Cutting off all Soviet Units from Stalingrad to the... - 1/9/2013 11:27:07 PM   
matrixben

2. I use the two Hungarian armor divisions to cut the eastern most railway lines on turn 121 (10/7/43). As a result, all Soviet forces north of here are cut off.

What is weird is that AI allowed the creation of so many (relatively) Soviet formations south of the Hungarian divisions in just one turn - since there were no divisons around the railway line the turn before. As Baku is the only remaining permanent supply source (the North is cut off already), all divisions, weapons...etc. should come from the Caucasus. I doubt that there are that many transport ships available on the Caspian Sea to accomodate the movement. The troops also need to be unloaded and transport up to the front line too.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to matrixben)
Post #: 2
RE: Cutting off all Soviet Units from Stalingrad to the... - 1/9/2013 11:30:25 PM   
matrixben

3. Here is the map showing the result. Brown color north of Stalingrad are the pockets resulting from cutting Soviet's supply. Brown color south of Stalingrad are the remaining Soviet forces in the Caucasus.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to matrixben)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Cutting off all Soviet Units from Stalingrad to the Urals Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI