Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Which scenarios are the smallest?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Which scenarios are the smallest? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/9/2013 4:11:59 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Hi! I am a complete idiot newbie at this game and no matter how many tutorials I read or AARs or how many times I read the manual, I feel like I am doing everything wrong. So I am deciding a different strategy: Failing until I get it.

Which is why I need your help:

Can you let me know of some of the smaller scenarios this game has so that I can play them and maybe get the gist of them through that? Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/9/2013 4:38:37 AM   
Rodia

The tutorial is a nice place to start, specially if you play step by step while reading the tutorial.doc.

Or in the same "Tutorials" folder look for "Tannenberg 1914" and "Kasserine 43".

Any favorite theatre/war?

(in reply to heyhellowhatsnew)
Post #: 2
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/9/2013 4:56:55 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

I played those using the tutorial.doc step by step but my turns turned out wildly different. I'll try those again.

I don't have any favorite theatre or war, just small scenarios that I can keep failing until I "get" it

(in reply to Rodia)
Post #: 3
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/9/2013 5:07:59 AM   
Rodia

There have been a lot of patches between that tutorial and now, so results may vary, as some rules have changed.

The basics though are still there. You can try with some AARs, the manual and the "what's new".

Personally my first scenario was Kasserine, played two or three times until I was feeling comfortable to try Korea 53.

Now I'm playing this:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3017830&mpage=3

(Post 64)

Post #: 4
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/9/2013 5:16:02 AM   
sPzAbt653

I put together two that are designed for beginners. And if you have any questions, go ahead and ask, there are plenty of people here glad to help.

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenarii/the-operational-art-of-war-scenario-796-Remagen

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenarii/the-operational-art-of-war-scenario-795-Arnhem

Post #: 5
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/9/2013 5:12:47 PM   
General Staff

You could try http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?43154-General-Staff-vs-Elmer-(2WiN-1944)&highlight=2win

This was from a 'Newbies' tournament a while ago, using '2 Weeks in Normandy 1944' by Brett Turner, a scenario that modeled the D-Day invasions through the first 2 Weeks (there's one for 4 weeks by same author too) after the ramps hit the sand on the beaches- from post # 1:

"Given I'm handing out advice and hurling people to their doom, I thought the least I could do was go where I'm directing others. So I thought I'd take Elmer for a test drive and try to illustrate some of the thornier concepts. Bear in mind this is a hotseat game and for clarity I've taken FoW off so you can see all Allied dispositions, though you pretty much can anyway with it on Turn 1.

Attached are ZIP files with the German at start position on Turn 1, followed by other posts with a Post-Round save attached with new attacks set up for all subsequent (7) rounds. And a brief commentary for each.

If you follow closely it gives you a step-by-step on how you roll with the rounds. If you have Qs on why I moved what, where, when, how and why on dispositions just ask.

Hope this makes rounds and how to form defensive lines in depth a little clearer.

N.B. Note that all attacks are Limited Attacks using Minimize Loss Settings unless otherwise noted.
"

2WiN was (is?) a Tournament favorite, though I haven't seen one of those in a while.

There's a 'Road to Rimini 1944' scenario in similar vein at: http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?92945-Road-to-Rimini-1944-Allies&p=1306009#post1306009

This is against a live opponent with FoW ON, so you can't see all opposing dispositions and is therefore more realistic, though more difficult to deduce what's going on.

I'd suggest looking at them in the order here.

< Message edited by General Staff -- 1/9/2013 8:51:39 PM >

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
(J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 6
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/9/2013 7:12:58 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Here's my thread on scenario sizes:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1961976

The attachment spreadsheet is getting out of date, though.

(in reply to General Staff)
Post #: 7
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/9/2013 7:32:00 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

I really want to let you all know I appreciate all your help. I have really put a lot of time and effort into learning this game because I DO LOVE IT. I love it a lot. But whenever I play I just feel so dumb and a failure and I get angry at myself.

I can play Case Blue, which is listed as advanced, but with this game I just get a huge amount of self loathing. I cant' tell you how many times i've read the manual, how i've read all these threads and the AARs.

For example,

I have no idea what the blue numbers mean. The orange numbers mean or why there are red circles (I just attacked the border guard).

I don't know why after some turns my units get that green light on the top right corner to yellow even though the HQ and supply units are clear and available.

I don't even know how to resolve a fight with multiple units without clicking "end turn" in order to resolve them.

For example, All those units in grey attacked the border guard, but I had to go to end turn to resolve the attack.

I am a newbie grognard, i'm still learning things, but I swear this game makes me hate myself so much for being stupid :/

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 8
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/9/2013 7:35:04 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

And what do the 9 and 15 mean in the corners? What do the numbers on the flags mean? (e.g. the 10 in Krusevac and the 5 in Mostar.

I feel like i'm half way there getting the basic concepts, and when I follow the tutorial docs the outcomes are never the same.

One of the tutorial documents is for Korea 51' i think. and that map is HUGE. They only give advice for one turn and i'm like completely lost and then I start getting angry at myself because as I keep saying, I feel DUMB and worthless for not understanding this game

Post #: 9
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/9/2013 7:38:05 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

edit: for double posting

Post #: 10
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/9/2013 7:40:29 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

I really can't thank you all enough for this. I am downloading the campaigns and reading the new links you have given me now. I want to buy you all beers

Post #: 11
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/9/2013 8:19:20 PM   
Rodia

The blue and red dots with numbers are the supply for one or other side. Orange means both sides have supply (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

4th column 3rd row button changes how the supply is displayed. The one you have in the screenshot is the most informative display, but I found it ugly so I go on/off.

The green light going to yellow in your units is the readiness or their state. When units have that light orange or red try to retreat them to a place with good supply (towns, highways).

The 10 in Krusevac and the 5 in Mostar are objective values, like victory points.

Not an expert or anything, just here for the free beer.

Post #: 12
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/10/2013 12:38:47 AM   
sPzAbt653

Don't beat yourself up so badly, the tuturials and manual were written long ago when humans spoke a different language. Its often much easier to come here for answers.

Mr. Rodia has already provided some answers, and I will a little bit in hopes of also getting free beer.

The orange, blue and red circles are an indication of the estimated supply level for those hexes. While I am playing I keep them turned off. Every few turns I will toggle them on to see what the general situation is. Each scenario is different, so you have to play a few turns before you know if '25' is ok and '9' is pretty bad, and how that will effect your units.

'Health' lights in the right corner of the unit indocate a combination of its supply, readiness and equipment levels. They will go from green (good) to yellow to orange to red (bad). Your units will lose effectiveness corresponding to these lights.

All combats must be plotted and resolved for each round before any can be resolved (yes you are correct, you must hit the end turn button in order to resolve combats). Usually players don't get to involved in the rounds until they are past the novice stage. I think I played for about 5 years before I started paying attention (yeah, I'm a little slow) to rounds (there are 10 for each turn).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/10/2013 1:12:29 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

So when a unit has a yellow or red light what should I do to make it go green? The manual says just not to move it for a while but i'm not sure.

Thanks for the support everyone

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 14
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/10/2013 2:24:40 AM   
sPzAbt653

Yes, not taking any action will get the best results. BUT ... the readiness level recovers at or less than the supply level. In some scenarios this is a long process, others are fairly reasonable. To get a grip on your recovery rates in a scenario, let a unit sit out of harms way for a few turns and monitor what happens (if enemy air, naval or artillery bombards it, it will lose some recovery). This is where those supply numbers do come in handy, because if you are sitting idle in a hex that has '9' supply, you probably aren't going to recover more than that per turn. In some scenarios its possible to hop on a train to a rear area that is in good supply (note that train embarked units do not recover anything while embarked).

Scenarios differ. For example, in Barbarossa '41, your German units will never recover anything so don't even worry about it, just keep plugging along with units in the red.

(Mmmm, I can taste that free beer!)

Post #: 15
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/10/2013 3:56:30 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

You're getting two beers now.

So supply is handled from the HQ or other places as well? Because say if i'm pushing an attack, do I have to keep moving my HQ or as long as I control those hexes the supply will flow?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 16
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/10/2013 3:59:20 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Also what is an RBC?

"Now try for an RBC against the US Engineers in 39,21, by moving 2/86 Panzer Grenadier from 40,18->40,20 " from the Kasserine tutorial document

Post #: 17
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/10/2013 4:20:35 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: heyhellowhatsnew

So supply is handled from the HQ or other places as well? Because say if i'm pushing an attack, do I have to keep moving my HQ or as long as I control those hexes the supply will flow?

I just discussed this about a month ago here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3210671

See post #2.

RBC = Retreat Before Combat.

Post #: 18
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 1/10/2013 5:29:47 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

I just discussed this about a month ago here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3210671

See post #2.

RBC = Retreat Before Combat.

Thanks!

PS: Guess what I just did with the help of everyone in this thread?!?!? :D

I just put down the tutorial document and said eff it, i'm going to play it like i do Case Blue, cut them off, pincer, trap.

I could have done a heck of a lot better, I was a bit tired so sometimes i made dumb mistakes like putting arty in the front link or tanks in front of tank destroyers but WOOOOTTTT

So many beers I owe all of you! I had so much fun!

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 19
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 2/23/2013 4:37:17 AM   
PEWPEW

quote:

I really want to let you all know I appreciate all your help. I have really put a lot of time and effort into learning this game because I DO LOVE IT. I love it a lot. But whenever I play I just feel so dumb and a failure and I get angry at myself.

I can play Case Blue, which is listed as advanced, but with this game I just get a huge amount of self loathing. I cant' tell you how many times i've read the manual, how i've read all these threads and the AARs.

For example,

I have no idea what the blue numbers mean. The orange numbers mean or why there are red circles (I just attacked the border guard).

I don't know why after some turns my units get that green light on the top right corner to yellow even though the HQ and supply units are clear and available.

I don't even know how to resolve a fight with multiple units without clicking "end turn" in order to resolve them.

For example, All those units in grey attacked the border guard, but I had to go to end turn to resolve the attack.

I am a newbie grognard, i'm still learning things, but I swear this game makes me hate myself so much for being stupid :/

Where is that scenario that you have in the image? I only have 4 missions in the tutorial folder and none of them look like that.

Post #: 20
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 2/25/2013 9:23:01 AM   
Ruppich

Tutorial 41 look at the title of the window

(in reply to PEWPEW)
Post #: 21
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 2/26/2013 3:03:27 AM   
PEWPEW

I dunnno about you, but I don't see a Tutorial 41 in my folder.

(in reply to Ruppich)
Post #: 22
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 2/26/2013 6:10:30 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: PEWPEW

I dunnno about you, but I don't see a Tutorial 41 in my folder.

Because I created the Tutorial '41 with slides :) I can put it in a public drop-box folder if you wish.

Klink, Oberst

P.S. Slides uploaded at: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56215959/TOAW%20Tutorial.zip
.SCE, .EQP File and .BMP file as .ZIP: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56215959/Tutorial%20%2741.zip

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 2/28/2013 12:54:24 PM >

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

(in reply to PEWPEW)
Post #: 23
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 2/28/2013 4:38:38 AM   
PEWPEW

Thank you!

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 24
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 4/7/2013 4:51:21 AM   
PEWPEW

Alright, I finished

Balkans 12 and 13
Kasserine Pass
Arracourt

What now?

(in reply to PEWPEW)
Post #: 25
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 4/7/2013 5:17:36 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: PEWPEW

Alright, I finished

Balkans 12 and 13
Kasserine Pass
Arracourt

What now?

Go over to the Gamesquad TOAW forum. Look for the thread Scenario Catalogue. Go to the last post. Download the catalogue. It is a zipped excel file so I hope you have excel on your computer. It has all manner of details on all of the scenarios available for TOAW. Not quite finished yet but getting there. One of the details it lists is scenario size.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 4/7/2013 5:19:45 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to PEWPEW)
Post #: 26
RE: Which scenarios are the smallest? - 4/7/2013 5:41:42 PM   
Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

It is a zipped excel file so I hope you have excel on your computer.

If you don't you could be able to open it with OpenOffice.org

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Which scenarios are the smallest? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI