Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A cautionary research tale

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> A cautionary research tale Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A cautionary research tale - 1/8/2013 9:29:26 AM   
Chris H

I posted this a while back and I'm doing it again as it has annoyed me somewhat as this is the second time it's happen (once really as I set the research up when I started the game). with myself.

MAKE SURE YOU RESEARCH ENGINES AT THE SAME OR FASTER RATE THAN YOU RESEARCH THE AIR FRAMES THAT NEED THE ENGINES.
Post #: 1
RE: A cautionary research tale - 1/8/2013 10:03:13 AM   
Empire101

Yep, there is nothing more infuriating than researching one and forgetting to do the other......I'm sure we have all done it once!!

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 2
RE: A cautionary research tale - 1/8/2013 1:57:23 PM   
d0mbo

Still doing it. You are too late :(

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 3
RE: A cautionary research tale - 1/8/2013 2:07:34 PM   
Chickenboy

The (only) good news is that the repair models for the aircraft engine factory R&D is entirely different from airframes. But yes-getting the airframes before the engines stinks. Not that I've experienced that, of course...

(in reply to d0mbo)
Post #: 4
RE: A cautionary research tale - 1/8/2013 5:06:37 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

The (only) good news is that the repair models for the aircraft engine factory R&D is entirely different from airframes. But yes-getting the airframes before the engines stinks. Not that I've experienced that, of course...

Like many other facets of the game, sounds maddeningly realistic!

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5
RE: A cautionary research tale - 1/8/2013 5:19:25 PM   
Icedawg

I have a question related to the OP's advice.

When researching a particular "end of the line" plane, like the Tojo C, don't you also have to research the earlier model(s) also? Otherwise, you run the risk of advancing the final version that you want to a point in time earlier than the arrival of the earlier model. If this happens, don't you lose the ability to upgrade production factories without damaging them?

For example, let's suppose that I advance the Tojo C such that it arrives before the Tojo B. If I upgrade an existing Tojo A production factory directly to the Tojo C, the factory gets damaged. If, on the other hand, I have the Tojo B avaiable, I could upgrade the factory to the Tojo B with no damage. The next turn, I could upgrade the Tojo B factory to the Tojo C (again with no damage).

Or am I missing something here?

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 6
RE: A cautionary research tale - 1/8/2013 5:28:41 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

When researching a particular "end of the line" plane, like the Tojo C, don't you also have to research the earlier model(s) also? Otherwise, you run the risk of advancing the final version that you want to a point in time earlier than the arrival of the earlier model. If this happens, don't you lose the ability to upgrade production factories without damaging them?

For example, let's suppose that I advance the Tojo C such that it arrives before the Tojo B. If I upgrade an existing Tojo A production factory directly to the Tojo C, the factory gets damaged. If, on the other hand, I have the Tojo B avaiable, I could upgrade the factory to the Tojo B with no damage. The next turn, I could upgrade the Tojo B factory to the Tojo C (again with no damage).

I've seen people mention this before, and I think it works for at least some models (various A6Ms come to mind)... I've not tested it, however.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 7
RE: A cautionary research tale - 1/8/2013 5:38:12 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

You're right. If the Tojo IIc appears at 3/43 for example and you haven't R&D the Tojo IIb, then you won't be able to upgrade without damaging them the factories already producing the Tojo IIa untill the Tojo IIb arrival dates.
Obviously you can convert into production the R&D tojo IIc factories without problem, but that won't be the best solution in a "realistic R&D ON" environement

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 8
RE: A cautionary research tale - 1/8/2013 6:07:05 PM   
nashvillen

Also, don't forget to turn upgrades to off on models you don't want going any higher!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 9
RE: A cautionary research tale - 1/9/2013 7:17:28 AM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

You're right. If the Tojo IIc appears at 3/43 for example and you haven't R&D the Tojo IIb, then you won't be able to upgrade without damaging them the factories already producing the Tojo IIa untill the Tojo IIb arrival dates.
Obviously you can convert into production the R&D tojo IIc factories without problem, but that won't be the best solution in a "realistic R&D ON" environement

Same goes for research as production. Upgrading through the chain prevents damage to the factory.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 10
RE: A cautionary research tale - 1/9/2013 11:11:21 AM   
Miller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

I posted this a while back and I'm doing it again as it has annoyed me somewhat as this is the second time it's happen (once really as I set the research up when I started the game). with myself.

MAKE SURE YOU RESEARCH ENGINES AT THE SAME OR FASTER RATE THAN YOU RESEARCH THE AIR FRAMES THAT NEED THE ENGINES.

Yep, guilty of this in my latest game. I had grand plans of getting all the best fighters researched by mid 44, only to find the required engine does not arrive until 9/45 and all the engine r/d factories have already switched into production factories

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 11
RE: A cautionary research tale - 1/9/2013 12:31:08 PM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Yep, guilty of this in my latest game. I had grand plans of getting all the best fighters researched by mid 44, only to find the required engine does not arrive until 9/45 and all the engine r/d factories have already switched into production factories

Oooch! Worse than mine, I'd sling my toys out the pram if that had happened to me.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 12
RE: A cautionary research tale - 1/9/2013 8:03:50 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Like many other facets of the game, sounds maddeningly realistic!

Didn't the Ki-100 owe its existence to the fact that there were Ki-61 aiframes sitting around waiting for delivery of their Kawasaki engines and it was decided to use Mitsubishi engines instead? Granted, this was no production date snafu - the Kawasaki engine factory was destroyed by Allied bombers - but the result was Japan's best fighter plane. Just have patience...

Carpe Cerevisiam

WitP AAR "Six Years of War"

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> A cautionary research tale Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI