Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hello Guys

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hello Guys Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 7:57:22 PM   
PZAndy

I am returning to some serious wargaming after years away tinkering with other games and interests. My question is what game to start off with? I am into WW2 and American Civil War but would play anything really.
My past wargaming is Gary Grigsbys World at War, Paradox Games Arsenal Of Democracy, Korsun Pocket, Panzer Corps Wehrmacht(not played it actually its on the shelf:) and i played WITP for a week before I gave up and played EVE online. Yeah I know..... I did print the entire manual of WITP....

So what do you all recommend to start off with? I do have a few simpler games like Strategic Command and an Arnhem one - its packed away somewhere but its not very complex. I do like complexity and micro managing but i also like mad combat and the like.

Any input gratefully received :)

Just looked on the other shelf and theres a copy of AGEODS Military Strategies - 3 games in 1.

< Message edited by PZAndy -- 1/7/2013 8:06:48 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 8:20:32 PM   
SLAAKMAN

No reason not to start here;
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=110

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to PZAndy)
Post #: 2
RE: Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 8:24:07 PM   
PZAndy

Thats not even out is it.....

Now i am confused as the site says coming soon and yet i see people asking for opponents... I presume its in Beta?

< Message edited by PZAndy -- 1/7/2013 8:26:22 PM >

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 3
RE: Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 8:27:45 PM   
CarnageINC

Welcome to the board PZAndy...never mind Slaakman...hes a dreamer...that game will never come out

How hardcore do you want to go? War in the East is a good game if you like that front. Decisive Campaigns Case Blue is the same front and era but is a different engine. Another great game that just came out is a WW1 game, Commander the Great War. Its got some good following so far. There is alway the grand daddy of them all....War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.

(in reply to PZAndy)
Post #: 4
RE: Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 8:30:40 PM   
PZAndy

How different is WITP AE? from the original? I was looking at Case Blue too and thinking it looks good!

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 5
RE: Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 8:35:06 PM   
CarnageINC

AE is a whole new animal then vanilla WitP. You have a lot more control over your entire forces. A key thing the fleet TF's have waypoints so it much more realistic than the straight line vanilla has. The air operations are vastly improved to. I can't really remember a whole lot of the old WitP but if you ask on the WitPAE forum you'll receive a better education than what I can provide.

(in reply to PZAndy)
Post #: 6
RE: Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 8:37:50 PM   
PZAndy

Thanks Carnage thats a decent start. I will go trawl the Google and forums. I will mull it all over whilst pretending to work tomorrow :) Ive got a new PC coming thursday so will be aiming on a quick install and then downloading some new games.
Thanks for the pointers.

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 7
RE: Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 8:39:46 PM   
CarnageINC

I'm sure other people will be kind enough to post some suggestions but it your doing the right thing by browsing the game forums that interest you most. Good luck sir

(in reply to PZAndy)
Post #: 8
RE: Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 9:11:52 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

No reason not to start here;
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=110

Game is great.. however, who knows when it will be out.

I am guessing it isn't even close.

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 9
RE: Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 9:25:31 PM   
Orm

I can recommend Commander - The Great War. Fun, fast and decent AI. Makes WWI fun to play. The multiplayer function is good and I find it easy to find opponents.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/385/details/Commander.-.The.Great.War.

See. The game is so good that it make me sound like a spammer.

Belli dura despicio

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 10
RE: Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 9:41:14 PM   
wodin

Case Blue is a damn fine wargame.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 11
RE: Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 10:01:07 PM   
sulla05

+1 on Case Blue or Warsaw to Paris.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
RE: Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 10:38:36 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Goofballs inserting hooves into mouths. The game already is out for those who can think outside the box;

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:World_in_Flames

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 13
RE: Hello Guys - 1/7/2013 11:07:24 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Since you understand historical wargaming, I would go with WitpAe....or.... GG's War in the pacific.....Or.....scourge of war.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 14
RE: Hello Guys - 1/8/2013 6:34:16 AM   
Rtwfreak

Norbsofts "Scourge of War" and "Antietam" and "Pike Creek" definitely. It's the only real civilwar wargame out there. All the others you slide some counters around a square or hex based map, this one you move real units of troups and can play it from any level of command you want all the way from Army commander down to a lowly detached cannon unit. Real time play in "real time". 1 second equals 1 second not 1 minute or 10 minutes like most real time games.

Next up you'll want Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge, Conquest of the Agean and Highway to the Reich. Another game much like the one above where you can command from an armies persective or take individual control of your subordinates and it also appears to play in real time and is not a click fest.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hello Guys Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote