Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unable to install WITP:AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Unable to install WITP:AE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unable to install WITP:AE - 1/7/2013 6:00:43 AM   
mrsmith00

Hi everyone,

I just bought WITP and am looking forward to playing it but I am unable to install it.

While installing it the following error pops up: "Could not open the uninstall executable for writing: Access to C:\windows denied"

It appears there is some permissions conflict. I have tried running it as administrator and I am installing it to the default location.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit.

Cheers
Post #: 1
RE: Unable to install WITP:AE - 1/7/2013 7:41:46 AM   
Chris H

What folder are you installing it too?   If it is C:\windows then install it to another location i.e. C:\matrix.

(in reply to mrsmith00)
Post #: 2
RE: Unable to install WITP:AE - 1/7/2013 8:12:11 PM   
CaptDave

Microsoft went a little overboard with security in Windows 7 (and my understanding is that Windows 8 is even worse in that regard). You might need to go through Windows Explorer to specifically authorize your admin user to modify the Windows directory. Admin is supposed to be God as far as the OS is concerned, but really isn't.

This might not be the problem; it's just one idea.

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 3
RE: Unable to install WITP:AE - 1/7/2013 9:07:58 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

What folder are you installing it too?   If it is C:\windows then install it to another location i.e. C:\matrix.

That's what I have. C:\Matrix Games. Works fine.

For the OP, I assume you have Admin access? At home you would, but if it's a work PC you might not.

Second, individual folders have permissions. If you create a C:\Matrix Gams folder it will create with the default permissions you have set. If it still doesn't work you can go into the right-click menu, Properties/Security etc. and hard-set the folder owner and/or permissions. I'm sure folks here could walk you through it.

The other thing to check is if you have a corrupted download file.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 1/7/2013 9:08:49 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 4
RE: Unable to install WITP:AE - 1/7/2013 10:26:37 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

That's what I have. C:\Matrix Games. Works fine.

For the OP, I assume you have Admin access? At home you would, but if it's a work PC you might not.

Second, individual folders have permissions. If you create a C:\Matrix Gams folder it will create with the default permissions you have set. If it still doesn't work you can go into the right-click menu, Properties/Security etc. and hard-set the folder owner and/or permissions. I'm sure folks here could walk you through it.

The other thing to check is if you have a corrupted download file.

As the Moose said

The error message makes me think it's a permissions issue rather than a corrupted file. Make sure you have admin access and install it in root (as C:\Matrix Games) instead of either of the Programs Folders

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 5
RE: Unable to install WITP:AE - 1/8/2013 7:29:20 AM   
DivePac88

You are getting the error message because you are trying to install the game into the C:\windows main Root folder, follow the installing path the Guy have already suggested above, and you will have not problems.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 6
RE: Unable to install WITP:AE - 1/8/2013 7:34:40 AM   
AndyG1

I have Win 7 64 bit. I always turn off (eg move the bar down to the lowest level) my UAC (User Access Control) when I install anything. Up to you if you want to move it back to the default level. Admin rights always helps too.

(in reply to mrsmith00)
Post #: 7
RE: Unable to install WITP:AE - 1/9/2013 6:23:16 AM   
mrsmith00

I was installing it to c:matrix games, not windows.

In the end I tried the trouble shooting basics, 'have you tried turning it off and on again?' A quick reset and it worked fine. No idea what was bugged.

Cheers

(in reply to AndyG1)
Post #: 8
RE: Unable to install WITP:AE - 1/9/2013 7:34:30 AM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrsmith00

I was installing it to c:matrix games, not windows.

In the end I tried the trouble shooting basics, 'have you tried turning it off and on again?' A quick reset and it worked fine. No idea what was bugged.

Cheers

Don't you just love all the little computer quirks.

(in reply to mrsmith00)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Unable to install WITP:AE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI