Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Second Kurolag War 2771-74

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> After Action Reports >> The Second Kurolag War 2771-74 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Second Kurolag War 2771-74 - 1/5/2013 9:28:48 PM   
Antiscamp

THE SECOND KUROLAG WAR 2771-74

In the late 2760's diplomatic relations between the Sol Federation and the Kurolag Guilds again became harsh. The situation since the First Kurolag War had been quite open and peaceful with trade going between the empires and relations being kept cordial. What sparked the diplomatic freeze in the 60's, though, was the fact that the Sol Federation imposed trade sanctions upon the kurolag and they responded with sending their main fleet to blockade the Human colony at Thela 2. The Federation sent in its own fleet to Thela 2 and the situation remained at a standoff for months as both sides prepared. The Federation was not ready to respond as its land troop carriers were just returning from another military adventure and their ships needed to be refuelled.

The Federation sent a warning and told the Kurolag to remove their fleet from Thela 2. When that warning was met with nothing but ignorance, the Grand fleet was dispatched to Thela 2 to reinforce the fleet already stationed there against the Kurolag Main Fleet which was still blockading the colony. In February 2771, as Admiral Basant Kalan arrived at Thela 2, the decision was made to open fire and remove the Kurolag presence from the area. The situation was volatile for the Federation. A new threat had appeared at the other end of the empire, a new massive and dangerous pirate clan, called the Phantoms had started to attack the border colonies. The Federation needed a quick and decisive war against the Kurolag to relieve Thela of the blockade and then turn victorious to face the new pirate threat.

The Second Kurolag War was mainly to be fought in the border areas between the Kurolag Guilds and the Sol Federation. The systems that were main battlegrounds were the Thela 2 system as well as Maredon and land operations were fought in these as well as a series of space battles between the fleets. In the Federation, the war was popularly nicknamed "The Great Rat Infestation".

The Main Kurolag Fleet retreated as the first shots were being traded and pulled back to Maredon to resupply. Both the Grand Fleet and the Perec Fleet followed and the Transport Fleet with the land army was dispatched to Maredon as well to carry the war to the enemy. When the Federation forces arrived, the Kurolag had again resupplied and their main fleet again went to Thela 2, this time carrying land troops. This did not deterr the Federation though, which went ahead with landing its army on Maredon 1 and starting a bloody land war on the planet. It did not take long for it to fall into Federation hands. Things were going well for the Federation.

The space forces followed the Kurolag back to Thela 2 and defeated them in the First Battle of Thela 2. They had landed troops on the planet though, and occupied it. This meant that troops had to be shipped in to again retake the planet. In the meantime, the second space battle of Thela 2 was fought as Admiral Basant defeated a Kurolag fleet which came to help the stranded occupants on the planet. Kurolag fleets were at this moment operating deep inside Federation territory and taking out mining stations and lesser outposts, but by a joint operation by the Home Fleet, The Perec Fleet as well as Basant's Grand Fleet, the invaders were forced into a conclusive battle at Thela 2 where the Federation won the third and last in the series of battles. These successful operations were conducted in 2771-72.

The Federation was ready to negotiate with the Kurolag. All war goals had been attained and Maredon had fallen into Federation hands. The Kurolag refused, which led the Federation High Command to take a decision to start a war of attrition agains the enemy to force him into final negotiations. The previously untouched Uttithar Fleet of 12 ships was committed and attacked from the other side right at the heart of the Kurolag Empire. This, while the Perec Fleet led by Admiral Laurus Ikkuros with 14 ships attacked Trandusha, a very important Kurolag system. The goal was just to harrass the enemy, not fight any greater, conclusive battles.

The Uttithar Fleet met hard resistance in the Xa Fil system in February 2773. They took out the enemy space port and destroyed several of his ships, but the enemy received reinforcements, which overwhelmed the Federation attackers and forced them to retreat after heavy exchange of fire in space above the planet.

In the meantime, Laurus Ikkuro's fleet was facing large enemy forces in the Trandusha system. Stupidly, he went and attacked the enemy colony headlong, knowing that it was defended by a defensive station carrying fighters and heavy weaponry. In the Distaster at Trandusha in April -73 he lost his life trying to storm the strong defensive positions at the colony. Both Federation invasion fleets had been forced to battle, and beaten. The Uttithar Fleet got away with its reputation intact after having done well, although defeat, at Xa Fil, but the Perec Fleet had lost several ships and its reputation had been stained. While the Three Battles of Thela 2 are held by Federation historians to be the prime example of Federation military successes and heroism, the Distaster at Trandusha is still today debated by historians as the single best example of military stupidity and foolish pride.

The Federation, desperate to end the war and with growing war weariness, tried negotiations, but the Kurolag, emboldened by their successes against the "invincible" Federation Fleet, continued the war. The growing pirate threat at the other side worried the High Command at Sol. the Kurolag misused their opportunity though and sent their fleet against the strong defense works at Apotalpe Spaceport. This was a mistake, because the Federation Grand Fleet was also operating in the Apotalpe system. Several Kurolag ships were just picked off one by one outside Apotalpe in late 2773 and early 2774. In the meantime, the Federation had also colonized a new system on the border to the Kurolag, in the "east", to give it a better position against the enemy.

This, in conjunction with the fact that the Federation shipyards were now spitting out a large amount of heavy battleships, made the Kurolag open for negotiations. Peace was concluded in late 2774 with the Federation paying 70.000 credits as reparations to hastily end the war. This was a small price to pay, because the Federation had actually won the Maredon system. As the war ended, the Federation, with a battle-hardened fleet, could turn its eyes to the great pirate threat that was plaguing the border areas. The celebrations that followed in the war-weary Federation upon the signing of the peace treaty lasted for two weeks and was in the media called "The Greatest Party in Mankind's History".

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Antiscamp -- 1/5/2013 9:30:04 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: The Second Kurolag War 2771-74 - 1/6/2013 3:36:26 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

Nice WW style!

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 2
RE: The Second Kurolag War 2771-74 - 1/6/2013 4:25:21 PM   
Antiscamp

Thanks. I tried writing it like something that would have been in the history books a few decades later.

Writing about the situation like this, also made my game better. I ain't never again going to attack an enemy system without carrying out proper reconnaissance. :D

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 3
RE: The Second Kurolag War 2771-74 - 1/18/2013 11:58:29 PM   
tylertoo

More please.

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 4
RE: The Second Kurolag War 2771-74 - 1/20/2013 10:15:58 AM   
Antiscamp

There will be more stuff like this from me in the future. This is one of those games that create stories, and I like writing them down.

I am also experimenting with getting a YouTube AAR (Let's Play) together.

(in reply to tylertoo)
Post #: 5
RE: The Second Kurolag War 2771-74 - 1/20/2013 4:48:20 PM   
Bingeling

A good read. Committing big forces and losing is not a bright idea, and one may become cocky. It never hurts to get spanked once in a while, though. To balance the fortunes of war a bit

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 6
RE: The Second Kurolag War 2771-74 - 1/20/2013 10:07:34 PM   
Antiscamp

Trandusha felt like Borodino.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 7
RE: The Second Kurolag War 2771-74 - 1/21/2013 11:26:55 AM   
Bingeling

Also, I envy your map pimpage skills.

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 8
RE: The Second Kurolag War 2771-74 - 1/22/2013 2:41:15 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Also, I envy your map pimpage skills].

LOL!

Nice one Bing! Now if I can only get the sound of a 'pimp-slap' out of my head!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> After Action Reports >> The Second Kurolag War 2771-74 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI