Matrix Games Forums

Community impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Which is better in your opinion....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Which is better in your opinion.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 3:46:37 AM   
Titanwarrior89

our cable tv and internet(also cable) went up 10.00 dollars a month...now the total cost each month for both together is $122.00 a month. I thinking of going to direct tv or dish. In your opinion what is the pros and cons.

I have basic tv(no hbo,no show time or special channels) and high speed internet. So what do you think. By the way our cable goes up every year.....I won't mention the name because I am not for sure wether that would be a problem in the forum for the matrix guys. My feeling is no matter who you go with....they all suck.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Post #: 1
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 4:06:43 AM   
2ndACR

Verizon FIOS is still the best bang for your buck.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 2
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 4:18:16 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Ill check into it.....what is FIOS.  I live in central Arkansas and I am not sure if we have that service company in our area.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 3
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 4:24:19 AM   
Rtwfreak

Really man your computer is getting to be the best tv for the buck anymore. I have access to thousands of movies thru stagevu, just about any tv show after it's run on ABC or CBS or TBS or NICK. You can buy sports paks for baseball and football (haven't seen a basketball one but then again haven't really looked). I don't know why anyone carries a separate cable or satellite tv service anymore. I get everything I need online and just run a router setup so I can watch tv and play games and/or browse the web.

Post #: 4
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 4:30:34 AM   
Titanwarrior89

My wife mentioned that last night....something to check into as well. What set up do you have for your internet server?
quote:

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

Really man your computer is getting to be the best tv for the buck anymore. I have access to thousands of movies thru stagevu, just about any tv show after it's run on ABC or CBS or TBS or NICK. You can buy sports paks for baseball and football (haven't seen a basketball one but then again haven't really looked). I don't know why anyone carries a separate cable or satellite tv service anymore. I get everything I need online and just run a router setup so I can watch tv and play games and/or browse the web.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 5
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 4:32:37 AM   
Rick

I've been a DISH subscriber for quite a long time now. I've generally been happy with there offerings and satisfied with thier cost.

As far as pros and cons, I'd suggest you just go to their web sites and list the features/channels that you care about and make your list.

Rick

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 6
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 4:33:38 AM   
**budd**

personally i think there all the devil Until they let us pick what we want to pay for, they all suck.....I know not very helpful, just had to get that off my chest. My bill has went up 4 times in 2 years and they haven't added anything to justify it. I have comcast and i recently did a bit of research because i was kind of pissed off about the increases and looking to switch. Direct TV was quickly knocked off my list because of stuff i read from subscribers and those i know that have had issues. Billing issues and bait and switch issues. The only reason i was considering them was they were giving the NFL ticket for free this season and i'm an NFL nut. Dish had a nice special and i would of saved some money the first year but after that i would of paid a little more. I wasn't looking to change my internet, just my tv stuff. One thing about comcast is there internet is rock solid, but you pay for it. I started my research with the BBB , none of those companies are members but the BBB does keep track of complaints against them and you can gauge the feeling of it's customers. then i hit the forums and read up on the services and then called them up. When you talk to them make sure you get them to disclose there fee's and equipment costs those usually aren't part of the advertised price you hear about and see on their sites.In the end i didn't switch. Both dish and direct have 2 year contracts and you will probably save that first year for sure. In the end they were all in the same ballpark it just depends whats most important to you viewing wise and what level of service you expect.I know people that have both dishes on their house and switch every 2 years, back and forth. After football season i'll be looking at alternatives that don't include any of them.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Post #: 7
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 4:48:35 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Ill take all this into mind guys....just tired of the cable company wanting....and want.....every year and your correct Budd-they add nothing.

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 8
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 5:09:02 AM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

My wife mentioned that last night....something to check into as well. What set up do you have for your internet server?
quote:

I'm using DSL through AT&T for $19.99 a month at 3mb download speed but they have other speeds at higher prices of course. Sure saves me a lot of money a year just watching movies and tv and playing games this way.

Post #: 9
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 5:44:19 AM   
Qwixt

DirecTV is horrible in my opinion. They latch onto you like mobile phone carriers in the 90s. Their service worked ok for me, but I just hated the service and the company.

Where I live there are two cable companies, and it's very easy to get good deals because the two are trying to compete. I definitely will not be giving up my cable internet service for a DSL alternative.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 10
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 2:17:09 PM   
wodin

I'm thinking of getting rid of Virgin TV..most things I watch I'd download first now as even on cable it is shown in the states first.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 11
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 2:20:49 PM   
parusski

quote:

personally i think there all the devil Until they let us pick what we want to pay for, they all suck

I agree with you on this. I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu-plus and occasionally use Amazon...I always have more available to watch than I have time.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 12
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 2:21:49 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Thats one of the problems here, we only have one cable company and they know it.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

DirecTV is horrible in my opinion. They latch onto you like mobile phone carriers in the 90s. Their service worked ok for me, but I just hated the service and the company.

Where I live there are two cable companies, and it's very easy to get good deals because the two are trying to compete. I definitely will not be giving up my cable internet service for a DSL alternative.

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 13
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 2:25:50 PM   
vonRocko

Just remember that those sattelite dishes are very touchy when it comes to weather. Simple thunderstorms can mess with them. Land lines are more reliable, but usually more expensive.

Post #: 14
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 3:29:55 PM   
berto

quote:

Really man your computer is getting to be the best tv for the buck anymore.

+1

We "cut the cord" and dropped our cable TV subscription two or three years ago. Now, we're entirely Internet (a bit of Netflix, even less Hulu Plus until we cancelled, but mostly non-TV activity and occasional game playing).

Early MusiChicago, http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT, http://pikt.org
Campaign Series Lead Programmer, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=226
AGElint debugging toolkit, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 15
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 4:07:44 PM   
Titanwarrior89

So if you don't mind me asking, what is your total cost and who is your internet provide?
quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

quote:

Really man your computer is getting to be the best tv for the buck anymore.

+1

We "cut the cord" and dropped our cable TV subscription two or three years ago. Now, we're entirely Internet (a bit of Netflix, even less Hulu Plus until we cancelled, but mostly non-TV activity and occasional game playing).

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 16
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 4:47:07 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Just remember that those sattelite dishes are very touchy when it comes to weather. Simple thunderstorms can mess with them. Land lines are more reliable, but usually more expensive.

Thunderstorms??? Hell, when I tried satellite a few years ago a fart caused massive interference.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 17
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 4:58:51 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

So if you don't mind me asking, what is your total cost and who is your internet provide?

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

We pay Comcast a bit less than $150/mo. for business class Internet and telephone, but no TV. I'm happy with it.

Early MusiChicago, http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT, http://pikt.org
Campaign Series Lead Programmer, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=226
AGElint debugging toolkit, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

Post #: 18
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 6:53:21 PM   
ilovestrategy

We haven't had TV in almost 3 years now, could not afford cable any more. But my DSL internet is $20 a month with $8 a month for Netflix so I'm good to go. Cutting cable TV, land line, and internet saved me almost $200 a month. Now I spend less than $30.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 19
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/5/2013 6:54:42 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

We haven't had TV in almost 3 years now, could not afford cable any more. But my DSL internet is $20 a month with $8 a month for Netflix so I'm good to go. Cutting cable TV, land line, and internet saved me almost $200 a month. Now I spend less than $30.

Amen. I cut the cord years ago and I do not miss it.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 20
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/6/2013 3:18:36 AM   
Titanwarrior89

We did cut our land line but it was like killing a old friend with my wife.  Thought I was going to have too get her counseling on that one.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 21
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/6/2013 12:46:30 PM   
demjansk

Yes, this is crazy, time warner even started charging 3.95 to rent their cable modem which used to be free. go to this website www.stopthecap.com

I pay 124 bucks a month with no special channels but I need high speed internet for fps games. We have no competition in this area.

I hear that Intel, SONY cant remember- I believe is looking into getting into the tv market and offering channels like they do for the consoles. I wish playstation 3 did this for channels. I watch about 10 channels max but pay all this money.

what is this Stagevu? Never heard of it

Post #: 22
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/6/2013 3:08:16 PM   
SuluSea

Rates are high, too high. The cable companies make a killing off of us then we have our electied officials leeching more tax money to pee away making it even higher. I use my rights as a consumer to play one company against another. I'm a believer the last thing a cable company wants to do is lose you as a customer.

I have no compunction about calling my provider up when my annual subscription rate is ready to run out/ or does and tell them the new rate is too high and while I'd like to stay because I've been with you a number of years I can't afford the price so I will move to a competitor on the introductory plan. They have a few channels Comcast doesn't. Comcast in my area has no problem atlering the price and giving me the introductory offer. If they don't I'll find something else.

I'd urge you to do some investigations on dishes. I've never had them but I've heard of blinks and outtages with even high winds. If something comes with a contract it's usually a reason why. If the service is attractive one wouldn't be needed. Some could make a claim that dishes cost to install I maintain that underground cable costs to install as well.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 1/6/2013 3:12:10 PM >

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to demjansk)
Post #: 23
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/6/2013 3:59:30 PM   
parusski

For a while I had Charter Plus internet, 30 Mbps, paying 29.95 per month. This was adequate to browse, download and stream Netflix/Hulu.

But since I do a lot of heavy internet work from home I upgraded to the Ultra package at 100 Mbs, for $69.95 per month. Even adding $9.00 for Netflix and $8.00 for Hulu the total is just $86.00, far less than the $165.00 I was paying for useless, boring cable channels and internet.

If anyone just wants to stream Netflix, then even a 15-20 Mbs speed will work.

< Message edited by parusski -- 1/6/2013 4:00:21 PM >

(in reply to demjansk)
Post #: 24
RE: Which is better in your opinion.... - 1/6/2013 6:57:19 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I went to the internet to read about Charter....Are they dish, cable and are they only in certain areas. The reason I ask, is that at the bottom of their page it showed some cities and looks to be the only areas their in.
quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

For a while I had Charter Plus internet, 30 Mbps, paying 29.95 per month. This was adequate to browse, download and stream Netflix/Hulu.

But since I do a lot of heavy internet work from home I upgraded to the Ultra package at 100 Mbs, for $69.95 per month. Even adding $9.00 for Netflix and $8.00 for Hulu the total is just $86.00, far less than the $165.00 I was paying for useless, boring cable channels and internet.

If anyone just wants to stream Netflix, then even a 15-20 Mbs speed will work.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Which is better in your opinion.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI