Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT - Digging spitfires in Burma

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT - Digging spitfires in Burma Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT - Digging spitfires in Burma - 1/4/2013 10:05:14 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/hunt-begins-british-spitfires-buried-myanmar-195246032.html

If they were buried properly crated, then their condition shouldn't be that bad
Post #: 1
RE: OT - Digging spitfires in Burma - 1/4/2013 11:58:16 PM   
Gregg

I'm not holding my breath on this.
After 67 years in a wood crate, I do not expect much to be in usable condition.
First, the shipping crates were not designed to withstand the loads imposed on them by burial.
Thus, most if not all of the crates were crushed upon being buried.
Second, if not crushed, the wood would have long since been eaten or have rotted away, causing additional collapse.
Finally, dampness will have corroded most of the aluminum airframes into worthless junk.
I hope I'm wrong, but the engineer in me knows better.
Gregg

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 2
RE: OT - Digging spitfires in Burma - 1/9/2013 2:57:37 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/search-world-war-ii-spitfire-myanmar-turns-water-090001945.html

"The team had found a wooden crate believed to contain one of the planes, but it was full of muddy water. British aviation enthusiast David J. Cundall, who is driving the hunt for the rare Spitfire planes, called the results "very encouraging.""

How optimist!

(in reply to Gregg)
Post #: 3
RE: OT - Digging spitfires in Burma - 1/9/2013 3:36:34 PM   
Dixie

Wooden crates buried in the jungle of a monsoon prone country filled with aircraft built with wartime anti-corrosion protection for the best part of 70 years? I'm sure it will all be just peachy.

Although all they really need to find are a few bits of brass and they will have enough to 'rebuild' some Spitfires.

Post #: 4
RE: OT - Digging spitfires in Burma - 1/9/2013 4:29:25 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I think that is the hope; 140 planes can provide a lot of parts; also increases the chances of having at least one in not so bad conditions

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 5
RE: OT - Digging spitfires in Burma - 1/9/2013 5:47:05 PM   
Dixie

They only need one part from each to rebuild them. If they want airworthy Spitfires then none of the major parts will be useable. But if you've got a brass manufacturers plate then you can build a new aircraft around that. It's basically how a chap rebuilt a mk I Spitfire they dug out of the ground. It would be great t if they do find something though.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT - Digging spitfires in Burma Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI