Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager will be launching on SteamCome and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another update
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? - 1/4/2013 6:23:52 PM   
Rtwfreak

If so can you tell me about "Quick Battles" and how they setup and are they random? Do you get points or can you set point limits to buy units with? How does the Ai play in them? Can you give the AI handicaps like in CMx1 where you could give it more units and +1 or +2 or +3 to the modifiers? Just sort of tell me from start to finish how you setup a Quick Battle and be specific with details please.
Post #: 1
RE: Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? - 1/4/2013 6:31:09 PM   
wodin

Only suggestion I can give is QB's are really only for H2H not against the AI. I believe you choose a map out of loads, then have points and buy units, yes you have modifiers and choose training\leadership\fitness etc etc. AI play though your best sticking to the many stock and user made scenarios and campaigns. Someone will come in with more specific instructions, I have looked in the QB point buying part but never actually used it.I only play against the AI.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? - 1/4/2013 6:37:50 PM   
Rtwfreak

Wow that sucks. No random generated battles at all like the previous Combat Mission x 1 series has with an ai you can setup to play against?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? - 1/4/2013 6:43:35 PM   
wodin

As I said I'm no expert here, I never played CMx1 quick battles either. You can have random selections aswell I believe..just the AI doesn't perform well as it has no instructions as such. There are so many scenarios I don't really see the need for QB for AI play.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 4
RE: Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? - 1/5/2013 4:38:08 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Yep I play it....not a bad system.  The game is great against people and not to bad against the AI.  You have weather, time, unit limits and map size if I remember for quick battles.  But their are alot of scenarios to be dl at battlefront.  You could be playing the game for years....its the best tactical level ww2 (3D) game out there.  The only problem is....they have a DRM....whole different licensing system to activate the game.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? - 1/6/2013 1:58:46 AM   
Ranger33

QBs against AI are not that great because:

1) The AI's unit choices are generally rubbish. This totally kills QB in CMSF, since you have to let the AI pick and you usually end up with 25 HUMVEE's vs 12 T-72's or other nonsense.

2) There is a tactical AI (units deciding what to shoot at, when to take cover, etc) that works pretty well. However, the strategic AI is extremely basic, it essentially boils down to "Unit Group 1 goes from A to B to C at a pre-determined pace". So the units are randomly assigned to arbitrary groups, then take off towards their destination with absolutely no regard for any other factors. This isn't so bad in hand-made scenarios since the designer can send specific units to specific points and kind of guess at what the player will be doing. However, in QBs everything is random, so the AI's plan of attack becomes very hit-or-miss. More often than not it's like lambs to the slaughter.

I loved QB in CMx1, since, while the AI was predictable, it would at least react to changes in objective possession, but it's barely playable against the AI in CMx2. AI units that reach the end of their pre-determined path will just sit there staring off into space until the clock hits 0:00.

P.S. I guess this is my first post here but I've lurked for a long time, have several Matrix games. Just wanted to clarify that I love CM games, not here to attack them or anything. The QBs against AI are simply not worth your time.

< Message edited by Ranger33 -- 1/6/2013 2:00:54 AM >

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 6
RE: Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? - 1/6/2013 3:07:40 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Welcome aboard....Ranger
quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

1) The AI's unit choices are generally rubbish. This totally kills QB in CMSF, since you have to let the AI pick and you usually end up with 25 HUMVEE's vs 12 T-72's or other nonsense.

2) There is a tactical AI (units deciding what to shoot at, when to take cover, etc) that works pretty well. However, the strategic AI is extremely basic, it essentially boils down to "Unit Group 1 goes from A to B to C at a pre-determined pace". So the units are randomly assigned to arbitrary groups, then take off towards their destination with absolutely no regard for any other factors. This isn't so bad in hand-made scenarios since the designer can send specific units to specific points and kind of guess at what the player will be doing. However, in QBs everything is random, so the AI's plan of attack becomes very hit-or-miss. More often than not it's like lambs to the slaughter.

I loved QB in CMx1, since, while the AI was predictable, it would at least react to changes in objective possession, but it's barely playable against the AI in CMx2. AI units that reach the end of their pre-determined path will just sit there staring off into space until the clock hits 0:00.

P.S. I guess this is my first post here but I've lurked for a long time, have several Matrix games. Just wanted to clarify that I love CM games, not here to attack them or anything. The QBs against AI are simply not worth your time.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 7
RE: Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? - 1/6/2013 3:22:20 AM   
junk2drive

I played some CMBO today. Fugly but fun. They fixed the fun in BB and made it more serious. I have CMSF but haven't gone for BN yet. More realistic and more whatever doesn't always turn into a more experience.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

Post #: 8
RE: Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? - 1/6/2013 5:19:36 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

CM:BN is really fun actually. It was the first one I got into, especially since it had a great tutorial walkthrough. With the module 2.0 it makes it better. It's easy enough for me to play and i'm an idiot.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 9
RE: Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? - 1/7/2013 4:47:06 AM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Welcome aboard....Ranger
quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

Thanks Ranger that was very helpful. I'll just stick to Panzer Command: Osfront then as the random battles and the AI are pretty good in it. I just don't know why developers as they keep developing thier games move away from the things that worked in the origional versions. Combat Mission CMx1 was so much fun for me and you could get a random game of it every single time. CMx2 Normandy and Italy look so good too.

Post #: 10
RE: Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? - 1/7/2013 11:50:23 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Have you tried Achtung Panzer? The UI takes a little getting used to but the game is INCREDIBLE! Have not played CM:N since I got into it. Here is a thread with many screens.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3080753

The campaigns are riveting with night battles, flares, trenches, the atmosphere is great, the graphics are not cartoony(sic), boarding tanks, huge battlefields where seeking out the enemy is a big part of it, awesome artillery effects, flamethrower tanks et. etc.

Just give it time to get used to it. Well worth the $20 it costs.

The manual isn't very good and the patching process can be tedious the first time but again, I highly recommend it.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 11
RE: Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? - 1/8/2013 6:27:18 AM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Have you tried Achtung Panzer? The UI takes a little getting used to but the game is INCREDIBLE! Have not played CM:N since I got into it. Here is a thread with many screens.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3080753

The campaigns are riveting with night battles, flares, trenches, the atmosphere is great, the graphics are not cartoony(sic), boarding tanks, huge battlefields where seeking out the enemy is a big part of it, awesome artillery effects, flamethrower tanks et. etc.

Just give it time to get used to it. Well worth the $20 it costs.

The manual isn't very good and the patching process can be tedious the first time but again, I highly recommend it.

Yes I got that one just recently as it was onsale for like $10. I tried it but it's clunky to me and I can't figure out where I am or which way I'm facing half the time. I'll give it a go again some day but not right now my brain just can't take that kind of frustration atm. lol

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Does anyone have/play Combat Mission BN or IT? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI