Project Golf course OR Battle at Longstop hill 42

Achtung Panzer:Operation Star is an Eastern Front wargame with solid graphics and sprawling battlefields that really emphasize the scope of WWII tank combat. The gameplay is a remarkably realistic turn-based and real-time operational/tactical hybrid wargame that continues the series begun by the acclaimed Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943.
flashburn

Project Golf course OR Battle at Longstop hill 42

Post by flashburn »

Something Krabb and Myself are working on. Vary early project consisting of a new polygon (map)(in progress vary early) and something resembling the Allies in the early days of fighting in Tunisia (US for sure, and hopefully the UK as well. Features map made from satelite elevation data of area and will feature correct flora and buildings native to area. Season will hopefully consist of Winter in Tunisa with new infantry models and a few new vehicles.

VARY EARLY in project 2 weeks in or so and dont expect to see anything REALLY exciting for at least 6 months. But we have the early stages of polygon in progress. [:D]

Oh super can not post link........fine then. Look for details on simhq/graviteam or graviteam forum APOS.

OH POOP.........should have but in correct place in forum. drat.
flashburn

RE: Project Golf course OR Battle at Longstop hill 42

Post by flashburn »

Can someone that is a long term member on matrix forum that actually posts, :D post screens of project untill I can?
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

Another Vary early render of mountains I just rendered DUE west of longstop hill. Historically the British where dug in around here to prevent a flanking attack by Germans. Obviously its just grass and a mountain now. Theres a little town up here and of course it needs the right plants. But I do beleave this is APOS's 1st mountain. :D

Another early screen (SO MUCH TO DO!!!!) Rail road line and route 50 with longstop poking out behind. The hill has been updated since this with MUCH better satalite data.
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

1 bad screen of basic m1903a4 rifle for this project. 1st of many and yes it still needs help. LOL Just shotguning the small arm parts with basic LOD1 and no textures to flesh things out as I wait for other pieces to fall into place. :D

Currently awaiting scanned maps from the British Libabry from 1941-1943 of area in question. As I wait I figured do something stupid fun as it needs to get done anyways. Later will refine the small arm models and of course finish them. But this is #1. Many to go. Hopefully later tonight I'll have the same but with a tompson SMG. :D
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

I love these old LIFE photos. Somewhere in Tunisia....1943:D
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

Little fun FYI. Ill be recycling my m2hb from my ISABOW mod and the unofficial SABOW patch for this project as well as updating my M1 helmet seen here. You can also see my G3a3 rifle which should give an idea of what the small arms for this project should like when complete.

Oh ya my m1919 MG still needs a tripod. :D

flashburn

Post by flashburn »

1 crap tastic 2.5 hour lod1, no textures, needs help, shotguned SMG. :D

APOS low poly weapo models give me flash backs to 12 years ago. :D
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

I was hoping to get the basics of m1911 and the M1918 BAR done today, but its looking like only the m1911 due to people bugging me to death today. :D

Still basic LOD 1 's to do m1 carbine, m1 garand, and bar. then refine the crap out of models and texture. At least untill those maps I ordered from British Libary show up. Hurry up YOU!
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

Had a set back with maps. British liberary has maps in there LOndon branch (I looked at cat. in Yorkshire which said the had it) but prohibitly expensive for me on by current budget. THe 2 sheets I need look to be about 60 pounds each for them to scan. Thats like 240 bucks or somthing. ARGH! So now looking for US versions or those maps in a university libary that hopefully does not stick it to you for a old scanned maps. In the mean time.........get you propagada on!

http://archive.org/details/gov.archives.arc.38951

Heres some more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=U-NrWY1N69w

flashburn

Post by flashburn »

Completed LOD1 SMG with mangled smoothing groups (do not give a crap about that right now), unwrapped ready for a normal map and textures. :D

BTW. I am vary interested in feed back from the APOS crowd as to project. With WW2 fans it can be crazy as each person has differing favorite periods on war. Which sounds vary sick indeed. :D But you know what I mean. For me I find the opening of direct hostilies between Green US forces and Germany the source of much personal interest. And further more, Northern Tunsia in game land is always depicted as some sort of massive desert. Which it most certainly is not. Rolling hills with dead space with massive grassland, oak trees and even pines. It is closer to Italy than some massive egyptian desert. Although Southern Tunsia is closer to that mind set than Northern. But even there it is hilly and infact was more a war of the hills than anything else.

Personally I feel the Graviteam APOS way of going about doing legit historical battles is miles beyond other simular titles, hense this project. Right now just 2 guys with a crazy vision. Thanks for looking!
budd

Post by budd »

thanks for taking, what must be alot of time to do this. I'm following this thread and looking forward to playing this once it's finished. I'm not that picky about periods of the war or forces envolved, sure i have my favorites, but i'll play anything that is interesting and fun. Thanks again.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

Its HUGE amount of time. Ill work on in up to 12 hours a day. :D But its a labor of love. Aiming to have it some what and going by mid to late spring. If it works out expand expand expand. :D

Hopefully the Eastern front will be invading Tunisia about a month after I get these silly historical maps I am after. :D That should be interesting. Then make US and UK Army's. In that order. Thats a big one. But doing it in stages. Just whats needed at the fighting around longstop hill. Then if successful, flesh out the other stuff. Armor, aircraft, vehicles etc etc. Another map. bba bla bla.

Would love to do French and Italian as well but way to much scope right now.

Also would like to get historical records of the various units involved, but worry about that when its time to make the campaigns. I am after historical correctness as much as possible. Maybe some compromises in certain equipment. Like making 3 types of m1903 springfield is not super high on my list of things to do.
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

Normal map and mesh just needs final tweeks and then this little low poly guy is ready to texture. :D

My stupid over polygon budget BAR M1918a2

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

A WIP of the m1911a1. I have some dang proportion off but I can not for the life of me figure out what. Think I have worked on this long enough today.......ah well, got 3 models pretty well along now. :D
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

Straight off the 3d max. :D One lower poly M1 garand. Should look good then I get a normal map and texture on there.
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

Been going thru all my photos of tunisia in ww2. I see exactly 0 m1 carbines in use. It looks highly unlikly that many if any even made it with units that landed as part of Operation torch. Seems unlikly that any where involved in fighting around Longstop or even in medjez valley in 42/43. This is quite possible as production of the thing got under way in mid 42. The time it would take to produce enough of them and get them to combat units and train with it (as well as the supply issue of the .30 carbine round) would take time. But all I see in photos are m1903a1, m1903a3, m1903a4, m1 garands. m1928a1 SMG, m1a1 smg, m1918 and m1918a2 BAR's. Well m1911 and m1911a1's too. :D M1 carbine missed north africa? Or in such small numbers at the end? ARGH! Anyone have any data on this?

FYI and going to add a little more detail into the reciever area on m1 garand. [:D]

OH and I got a message from Graviteams super duper Andrey who recommends another 150-200 triangles for m1918a2 BAR.

If your a history buff like me and have data about US Army in Tunisia in NOV 42-Jan 43 please feel free to post any relavant info on units, weapons, gear, whatever as I flesh stuff out. I am after a historically correct, early ww2 deal here. Not that other BS that gives every wonder weapon to you. Also after data of 1st combat usage of M1 or ma1 bazooka. Highly likly some of these made it out of Algeria with combat units heading east. I am sure not all where blowing up goats with Patton back in the rear. [:D]
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

Bunch of stuff in various stages of work.
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

I think something like this should be enough quality for APOS. Now hopefully it looks something like this in game...........

OOPS forgot the spec map in 1911a1. Ahh well it still needs more work. But close to good enough...for now. :D

M1903a3 with m1 rifle grenade launcher and m9a1 anti tank rifle grenade. At beginning of US envolment in North Africa 1 man in infantry squad was to have this combo. Later was increased to more Joes with this and then replaced with rifle grenade launchers for M1 garand and m1 carbine in 1944.

While other nations had other last ditch anti armor infantry weapons, for the US Army.......this was it.
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

AHHHHHHHHH my eyes hurt! It is like bling wood for a combat weapon. Hmmmm need to rough that up. :D

I think this will be the worst of the weapons out of the lot I have made so far........

A tiny bit better. Just not alot of time to work on this stuff today. Definatly finishing m1918a2 next. And i hope the same wonky issues that came up on this guy do not show up on the m1 garand. Still a shockingly lot to fix on the m1903's. Not up to snuff so Ill have to work that out as I go.
flashburn

Post by flashburn »

Been moving and not much to say. Well except Graviteams Andrey has been cooking up some stuff. He posted over on Sukhoi.ru.

http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.p ... ost1962334

This happened as i was moving. :D Just got my computer up and running so I guess I have to get back at it. But still waiting on historical maps of area. But the polygon -details is largly complete. AS SOON AS I GET THOSE STUPID MAPS I AM AFTER, I should be able to get this part done. Although still need to make buildings, flora, rocks etc etc. But despite holidays and a move, things are moving along slowly but surely....

Return to “Achtung Panzer Operation Star”