Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Games with windowed mode and counters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Games with windowed mode and counters Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 4:44:08 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Hi everyone, me again.

Since you're all so helpful, awesome, amazing, beautiful and wonderful, I thought I'd ask another question. I am looking for a game that I can play in windowed mode (to sneak in a few turns at work, hehe) that uses NATO counters (or counters) so I can get used to them at the same time. I know WiTE does it. But was wondering if there was another game that Matrix Games sells here on the site.

Also, I was wondering, can you play Field of Glory in windowed mode by any chance?

(I really wish Decisive Campaign: Case Blue) was playable in windowed mode :( PS.

Feel free to list the games that Matrix sells here that has windowed mode by the way, they make me put them on my "to buy list" (the matrix store isn't good at letting people know this :( )

< Message edited by heyhellowhatsnew -- 1/3/2013 4:45:39 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 8:24:48 AM   
doomtrader

Hi,
For sure Time of Fury allows to play in windowed mode, with NATO counters turned on.

(in reply to heyhellowhatsnew)
Post #: 2
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 4:55:12 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

I heard Time of Fury is unplayable though. Is this true? :(

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 3
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 5:01:01 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Wait my mistake, I read the wrong review for the wrong game. Can you tell me more about Time of Fury? I am researching it now before I buy it but since you're a developer, I'd love to hear from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Or from anyone who has played Time of Fury. How is it?

For example, this is from Out of 8:

The Good: Streamlined approach better for novices, interesting events, can control multiple countries of your choosing, some alternative scenarios, central play by e-mail server

The Not So Good: Excruciating slow pace with long turn resolutions, tedious unit movement and combat, inefficient interface, oversimplified diplomatic and research options
What say you? This World War II turn-based grand strategy game is simplified, sluggish, and sometimes unwieldy: 5/8

Were the long turn issues, and interface issues fixed? I'll check the bug patches too.

< Message edited by heyhellowhatsnew -- 1/3/2013 5:02:59 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 5:19:14 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

I read the forums and reviews and the game intrigues me. Just waiting for some more games with windowed mode suggestions or more personal impressions from Time of Fury players before I pull the trigger

Post #: 5
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 5:29:26 PM   
doomtrader

The length of the turns mostly depends on the settings. Also this is quite large game with 600+ units in the game, so the AI movement can take 2 or 3 minutes. It can also take much much longer if you decide to follow every AI's step.

I think that you can make your opinion by just checking the AAR section.

Post #: 6
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 5:34:00 PM   
Wolfe

The Operational Art of War III is probably worth a look. http://www.matrixgames.com/products/317/details/Norm.Koger's.The.Operational.Art.of.War.III

As is Combat Command The Matrix Edition. http://www.matrixgames.com/products/404/details/Combat.Command:.The.Matrix.Edition

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 7
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 5:40:10 PM   
Rodia

Yes, Field of Glory can be played in window mode, according to this thread.

But as Wolfe, I recommend TOAW III, it's way sneakier!

(in reply to Wolfe)
Post #: 8
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 6:46:30 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rodia

Yes, Field of Glory can be played in window mode, according to this thread.

But as Wolfe, I recommend TOAW III, it's way sneakier!

Awesome, FoG is a definite buy next pay check before the sale is over then. I can't wait to sneak in PBEM turns :D

I have TOAW3, but the AI moves so fast when it makes its turns I get confused. If anyone knows a way to slow down AI turns so I can see what they're doing I'd appreciate it

I think I'll get Time of Fury, i'll read the AARs first but its looking like the winner. Combat Command is a bit too much for me :( Thank you for the suggestions though!

(in reply to Rodia)
Post #: 9
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 6:47:08 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

I swear grognard forums are the best forums on the internet. Everyone is so helpful and nice and awesome. I've never been in a community like this before.

Post #: 10
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 7:12:43 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

One last question before I pull the trigger on Time of Fury, is the windowed mode for it a moveable window? with like the minimize button and everything?

Sorry, it's important for the sneaky sneak. From the pictures i've seen I don't see them.

For developers and Matrix dudes and dudettes reading the game: WINDOWED MODE. For your future games please. A real windowed mode. That's like a #2 priority for me besides a TUTORIAL. Heh :D

< Message edited by heyhellowhatsnew -- 1/3/2013 7:13:44 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 7:33:06 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

One last question before I pull the trigger on Time of Fury, is the windowed mode for it a moveable window? with like the minimize button and everything?

yes

Post #: 12
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 8:29:46 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: heyhellowhatsnew

I swear grognard forums are the best forums on the internet. Everyone is so helpful and nice and awesome. I've never been in a community like this before.

Just how I felt when I first came here.

Welcome.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 13
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 9:11:52 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

quote:

yes

Sold! If I hate the game or it doesn't work I am going to put a hex on you ;p hehe

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 14
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 9:45:44 PM   
VPaulus

Commander: The Great War
Storm Over Pacific
Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided

Post #: 15
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/3/2013 10:31:01 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

How is a World At War: A Would Divided. It was on my wishlist to get before the sale was over. Also, any opinions on Storm over Pacific?

I'm glad a Matrix staff member is reading this so they know that some people want real windowed modes (and tutorials ;) ) in future games!

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 16
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/4/2013 12:44:50 AM   
junk2drive

FYI Windows key + M minimizes all open windows. Handy for approaching footsteps.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

Post #: 17
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/4/2013 12:51:07 AM   
mikkey

excellent shortcut, thanks junk2drive

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 18
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/4/2013 2:26:37 AM   
Wolfe

quote:

How is a World At War: A Would Divided. It was on my wishlist to get before the sale was over. Also, any opinions on Storm over Pacific?

I'm glad a Matrix staff member is reading this so they know that some people want real windowed modes (and tutorials ;) ) in future games!

Of all the WW2 Grand Strategy games that Matrix do WAW:AWD is by far my favourite - it does in 25 turns what others take 250+ to do to less effect. I also think it has a better AI than Time of Fury / Wrath / Strategic War in Europe / Storm Over the Pacific. The Deluxe AWD Mod is also excellent.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 19
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/4/2013 2:48:30 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Hey since Wasteland devs are peeking their heads in here. Is Storm over the Pacific playable in windowed mode too?

(in reply to Wolfe)
Post #: 20
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/4/2013 3:00:37 AM   
H Gilmer

Heh heh, i wouldn't have the cojones to play a computer game at work. Be sure to be on good terms with IT!!!

Post #: 21
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/4/2013 3:13:49 AM   
Wolfe

quote:

Hey since Wasteland devs are peeking their heads in here. Is Storm over the Pacific playable in windowed mode too?

Not a dev but yes it is.

PS as to your original post Decisive Campaigns (I have WtP so I'm assuming Blue will be the same) plays in a fixed window with a minimise button at top right.

< Message edited by Wolfe -- 1/4/2013 3:22:33 AM >

Post #: 22
RE: Games with windowed mode and counters - 1/4/2013 3:39:38 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

quote:

Not a dev but yes it is.

PS as to your original post Decisive Campaigns (I have WtP so I'm assuming Blue will be the same) plays in a fixed window with a minimise button at top right.

Yeah I noticed it but that would be way too super obvious since I can't move the window. It's sneakier with a moveable window.

I love DC:CB though so damned much I wish I could play it at work all day hehe

(in reply to Wolfe)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Games with windowed mode and counters Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI