Matrix Games Forums

Community impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat Power - Geometric not arithmetic?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Combat Power - Geometric not arithmetic? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat Power - Geometric not arithmetic? - 1/1/2013 10:50:32 PM   
altipueri

Page 131 of the manual says 9 is twice 8 which is twice 7 or words to that effect.

When I see an enemy unit with combat power 4 I think I need about 3 times that to have a successful attack on the 3:1 ratio - so as four units with combat power 3 is 12, that should do it; but they get chewed up.

Now I think I understand the geometric scale in fact I would actually need closer to 24 - i.e. 8 units of 3 - correct?

And this would be the approximate comparison Arithmetic to Geometric?

A=G
1=1
2=2
3=4
4=8
5=16
6=32
7=64
8=128
9=256

Post #: 1
RE: Combat Power - Geometric not arithmetic? - 1/1/2013 11:05:22 PM   
Arjuna

Your first estimate was right but please remember that these are raw combat power values - ie devoid of any other external factors like terrain effects, on call support from arty and mortars, current unit effectiveness etc.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 2
RE: Combat Power - Geometric not arithmetic? - 1/1/2013 11:28:20 PM   
Lieste

Roughly speaking - a single unit which is 2 'bigger' than the single enemy will give a 4:1 in raw odds.

When two units are similar sizes, the effect is similar to one unit of strength +1 to the biggest, combining two smaller units and one larger one can work the same.

(eg a 5 strength unit, supported by 2x 4 strength is roughly equal to a single 6 strength unit ~ and will only be 4:1 against a single 4).

For equal 'strength' units, the strength ratio is easier to see ~ being merely the ratio of numbers present.

For your example of a single '4' being attacked by a number of '3' units... you'd need 6 to reach 3:1 (each pair forms a composite '4' and three pairs give the desired ratio).

(Strength values may be 'meaningless' in certain contexts ~ eg a 1000m exchange of fires between *many* M5 Stuarts and M8 Greyhounds and a single Company of King Tigers... unless the lighter vehicles can get really close and hit flanks and rear (and get *a lot* of suppression) the King Tigers will just shrug of all hits while being able to kill with impunity.)

< Message edited by Lieste -- 1/1/2013 11:32:29 PM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 3
RE: Combat Power - Geometric not arithmetic? - 1/2/2013 12:09:15 AM   
altipueri

Thanks for the quick replies.

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Combat Power - Geometric not arithmetic? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI