Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: New Years for Canoerebel

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: New Years for Canoerebel Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 12/31/2012 7:08:20 PM   
Symon

Was looking for a nice traditional Southron New Yearís eve dinner recipe, and came across some interesting things about the genesis of the traditions.

Itís 1865 and your land is devastated and you are hungry. Canít eat cotton, and most plantations didnít grow truck. But they did grow peas and corn for animal feed and greens for the slaves, so that was pretty much what they were reduced to surviving on. It became a tradition.

Every New Yearís, a Southron would eat what their ancestors did as a hope for prosperity in the coming year. The black-eyed peas represent coins (serious traditionalists require at least 365 peas in a serving); the greens (collards, mustards, or spinach for the faint of heart) represent greenback dollars; the cornbread (donít forget, eating white bread was a mark of gentility) represents gold dollars.

Some folks think the hog-jowl for the beans is because the good hog parts were reserved for way more useful purposes and thatís all that was left. I like to think it was more a flavoring added to a fairly tangy, but nonetheless tasty bean.

I do like a ham steak, some black-eyed peas, collards, and cornbread for New Yearís eve.

Ciao. JWE
Post #: 1
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 12/31/2012 9:59:24 PM   
crsutton

Don't forget Poke Salad for the truly destitute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz4DvG4bQ2o

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 12/31/2012 10:32:07 PM   
danlongman

T.J. White really wanted to be Elvis
http://www.aces.edu/dept/extcomm/newspaper/june21b02.html
but he weren't

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/1/2013 7:51:27 AM   
DivePac88

We don't have a special dinner on new years eve down here, but we have it on new years day. Here is our dinner tonight; Roast lamb, along with roast potatoes, marrow, and fresh minted peas. Which is followed with a suitable break, then by a new Pavlova baked today, all prepared by the impeccable Mrs DivePac.

Attachment (1)

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/1/2013 10:56:53 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

Was looking for a nice traditional Southron New Yearís eve dinner recipe, and came across some interesting things about the genesis of the traditions.

Itís 1865 and your land is devastated and you are hungry. Canít eat cotton, and most plantations didnít grow truck. But they did grow peas and corn for animal feed and greens for the slaves, so that was pretty much what they were reduced to surviving on. It became a tradition.

Every New Yearís, a Southron would eat what their ancestors did as a hope for prosperity in the coming year. The black-eyed peas represent coins (serious traditionalists require at least 365 peas in a serving); the greens (collards, mustards, or spinach for the faint of heart) represent greenback dollars; the cornbread (donít forget, eating white bread was a mark of gentility) represents gold dollars.

Some folks think the hog-jowl for the beans is because the good hog parts were reserved for way more useful purposes and thatís all that was left. I like to think it was more a flavoring added to a fairly tangy, but nonetheless tasty bean.

I do like a ham steak, some black-eyed peas, collards, and cornbread for New Yearís eve.

Ciao. JWE

Black Eyed peas and corn bread. Sometimes(and I mean SOMETIMES, I miss Louisiana.

< Message edited by ilovestrategy -- 1/1/2013 10:57:08 AM >

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/1/2013 4:44:55 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

We don't have a special dinner on new years eve down here, but we have it on new years day. Here is our dinner tonight; Roast lamb, along with roast potatoes, marrow, and fresh minted peas. Which is followed with a suitable break, then by a new Pavlova baked today, all prepared by the impeccable Mrs DivePac.

Is marrow that yellow item? Don't know what that is. I know what bone marrow is, but that dish looks too voluminous to be that if it were a single lamb.

The Moose

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/1/2013 5:25:31 PM   
Symon

quote:

OMG! Does the impeccable Mrs DivePac have a sister ? I love to cook and lamb is my most favorite, but you can't get good lamb in the States. I spend a lot of time in Chile and the SW Pacific, and lamb is utterly righteous. Don't know from marrow; maybe the impeccable Mrs DivePac can send a recipe?

All my best hopes for a healthy and prosperous New Year.

Your friend. JWE

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/1/2013 8:45:29 PM   
DivePac88

Marrows are special vegetables that the Little People (Moon Ticks, and Cabbage Pixies) grow at the bottom of our garden. Marrows are especially prized in New Zealand, because they impart infinite wisdom on the People who eat them. Just look at me... I eat marrow all the time, and I'm probably the wisest person on this site.

Incidentally Mrs DivePac calls them Pumpkins, but I think that's because Shes a woman.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/1/2013 9:15:27 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Marrows are special vegetables that the Little People (Moon Ticks, and Cabbage Pixies) grow at the bottom of our garden. Marrows are especially prized in New Zealand, because they impart infinite wisdom on the People who eat them. Just look at me... I eat marrow all the time, and I'm probably the wisest person on this site.

Incidentally Mrs DivePac calls them Pumpkins, but I think that's because Shes a woman.

Ah. With the hint I went to Wiki and it says marrows are a type of British-English squash. In the US squash are eaten in a variety of ways, but pumpkins are pie veggies or decorations. Not great eating as a side dish. Some people like the seeds, roasted and salted.

The Moose

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/1/2013 9:48:14 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

but you can't get good lamb in the States. Your friend. JWE

You need to come to St. Louis and go to Ari's and get a lamb shank. They are awsome.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/1/2013 9:51:17 PM   
geofflambert

You can't get any more Southern than New Zealand. The marrow is the green squash with the yellow pulp.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 11
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/2/2013 1:59:02 AM   
Skyros

That''s exactly what I had today while I watched the Gamecocks stun the Wolverines!
quote:

Ciao. JWE

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 12
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/2/2013 2:32:31 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

but you can't get good lamb in the States. Your friend. JWE

You need to come to St. Louis and go to Ari's and get a lamb shank. They are awsome.

I certainly think I'll try that! I hear St. Louis is a foodies delight!

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

Post #: 13
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/2/2013 3:52:36 AM   
geofflambert

By the way, I'm all for substituting good olive oil for butter (and I do mean good), but in the case of a squash like that, it really needs a pat of butter.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 14
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/2/2013 7:43:46 AM   
Commander Cody

That marrow looks like buttercup squash, no? I didn't know the product from a pumpkin until my firm started to represent the NZ Buttercup Squash Council here. Good eatin'.

Ugh, don't get me started on the Michigan-South Carolina game.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Post #: 15
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/3/2013 6:49:42 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Ah. With the hint I went to Wiki and it says marrows are a type of British-English squash. In the US squash are eaten in a variety of ways, but pumpkins are pie veggies or decorations. Not great eating as a side dish. Some people like the seeds, roasted and salted.

I could eat butternut squash every day fro the rest of my life and be a happy man. It will need butter and brown sugar to top it off.

We roast the pumpkin seeds when we're done carving pumpkins. Great with salt!

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 16
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/3/2013 7:35:44 PM   
John 3rd

Hmmmm...reading this seriously makes me hungry!

We celebrated with my first attempt at Prime Rib done here at home. MAGNIFICENT!

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 17
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/3/2013 7:38:47 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

Ciao. JWE

...don't forget a dash of vinegar on the greeens and a tall, ice cold glass of buttermilk to dunk the corn bread!!!

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 18
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/3/2013 10:18:41 PM   
CaptDave

Mmm, butternut squash. We have a restaurant chain (Shari's) in the northwest whose specialty soup is butternut squash. Delicious!

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 19
RE: OT: New Years for Canoerebel - 1/3/2013 11:24:05 PM   
JohnDillworth

The state of education in the forum is appalling. Did you not read to your children? If you didn't read them Beatrix Potter why not? All please stand whilst I read a passage from the floppsie bunnies:
"When this happened, the Flopsy Bunnies went across the field to a rubbish heap, in the ditch outside Mr. McGregorís garden. Mr. McGregorís rubbish heap was a mixture. There were jam pots and paper bags, and mountains of chopped grass from the mowing machine (which always tasted oily), and some rotten vegetable marrows and an old boot or two. One dayÖoh joy!Öthere were a quantity of overgrown lettuces, which had ďshotĒ into flower."

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But itís still on the list.

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: New Years for Canoerebel Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI