Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why have traditional pbem games opted to run thru specific servers now ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Why have traditional pbem games opted to run thru specific servers now ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why have traditional pbem games opted to run thru speci... - 12/30/2012 9:19:00 PM   
scout1

Seems several recent games have opted to run turns thru servers recently rather than emailing turns directly between participants ..... What is the advantage and for whom ?

Sorry if this is a silly question, just don't understand the recent trend .....
Post #: 1
RE: Why have traditional pbem games opted to run thru s... - 12/30/2012 9:30:50 PM   
thedrillsgt

I have no basis for this, but i'll give you two reasons;

1. some security function that lowers the ability of either of the players to alter/replay outcomes
2. traffic or some profit motive on the web site

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 2
RE: Why have traditional pbem games opted to run thru s... - 12/30/2012 10:09:29 PM   
Rudankort

In addition to stronger anti-cheating, this approach also makes it much easier to find an opponent when all people are playing via a common connection point. Also, this makes the games much easier to manage. If you are playing just one PBEM game, it might be fine to use conventional email, but if you have several games running in parallel, it becomes quite messy to send around the right files to right people. The whole experience becomes much more streamlined using the server. This also gives us a lot of options for future development, like easily adding rankings, ladders, tournaments and the like.

(in reply to thedrillsgt)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Why have traditional pbem games opted to run thru specific servers now ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI