Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Guadalcanal FF

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Guadalcanal FF Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Guadalcanal FF - 12/29/2012 1:47:00 AM   
junk2drive

From the Academy Games website list of scenarios for the board game

quote:

Firefight 25 – What if? 27 October 1942.
Simultaneous attacks at Bloody Ridge and the Matanikau River The Japanese had planned for the attacks in Firefights #10, #11 and #12 to take place simultaneously on the same night, but a breakdown in communication and coordination resulted in the three attacks taking place on three different nights. This Firefight speculates what might have happened if all three attacks had been better coordinated by combining them into one large firefight contest. The key in all three firefights is U.S. artillery that was able to decimate the Japanese by concentrating on each attack. That artillery will have to be dispersed among the firefights before the contest begins, seriously reducing the effectiveness of it in each attack.

Are we there yet?

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Post #: 1
RE: Guadalcanal FF - 12/29/2012 2:20:29 AM   
junk2drive

Interesting posts here about the content and future of the Pacific game

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/741501/why-i-want-this-coh-guadalcanal-game

Most is a year old but still relevant from what I can gather.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 2
RE: Guadalcanal FF - 12/29/2012 4:48:04 AM   
Gerry

Hello Paul:

It seems like the game production is very slow unfortunately. Maybe part of it is because Uwe has two? other game series going on at the same time.

Personally I am not interested in the Pacific. Or at least was not into it in ASL. But COH is such a neat system I may try it.

Your post just reminds me of the almost endless possibilities with this system it if takes off. Once the engine has got as mature as possible there is so much possible content out there, it is amazing.

Gerry

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: Guadalcanal FF - 12/29/2012 11:45:28 AM   
Jamm

Yes, there are so many theatres and countries involved the game could be huge.
But since the game is based on a licensed product, will we have to wait for a boardgame product first?
But I guess first and foremost, the game sales must be good for WCS to continue to develop the series.

When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro

Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to Gerry)
Post #: 4
RE: Guadalcanal FF - 12/29/2012 7:30:56 PM   
VR_IronFist

Based on previous posts by Eric, the sales of the CoH:AtB PC game over this Holiday Season combined with the sales of the CoH: Storms of Steel PC game early next year (2013), will determine the fate of the PC game franchise.

I tried to do my part by buying two friends (whom play the board game) each a copy of the PC game (it's on sale for 25% off right now) as a gift. Hopefully there are others who have done similar things and/or the new sales are strong.

As for other theaters, I've already pre-ordered my board game copy of Guadalcanal. It looks interesting and while I am significantly less interested in the Pacific Theater compared to the European Theater, Guadalcanal is the one big exception. It is a fascinating campaign and one I look forward to exploring using the CoH system.

On the other hand, the next planned board game after Guadalcanal is First Men In (D-Day Airborne Operations). As of now, I do not plan on purchasing that. Those operations have been covered in a great deal of depth in other game systems plus I have significantly less interest in gaming the D-Day campaigns (I've done plenty of reading on them). Instead I would have liked to see a game on the Axis airborne Invasion of Crete. It is much less covered, tactically more interesting in my opinion, and contains Fallschirmjägers (for me the most interesting units of WW2). That last one is a personal bias but heck, what can I do?

I did hear rumors of a Afrika Korps board game at some point. But again I would prefer a Crete based game first. Or even a Battle of Norway or The Finnish - Soviet Winter War.

< Message edited by VR_IronFist -- 12/29/2012 7:37:48 PM >

(in reply to Jamm)
Post #: 5
RE: Guadalcanal FF - 12/29/2012 11:22:16 PM   
tsnouffer

Uwe has mentioned a few time that Stalingrad isunder development too.

Games from the Front

(in reply to VR_IronFist)
Post #: 6
RE: Guadalcanal FF - 1/17/2013 8:26:14 PM   
tsnouffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: VR_IronFist

Or even a Battle of Norway or The Finnish - Soviet Winter War.

Snow maps would be soooooo kool . . . .

Games from the Front

Post #: 7
RE: Guadalcanal FF - 1/18/2013 3:51:42 AM   
Jamm

Snow maps can be designed for the boardgame style maps.
But there is no terrain effect at present. But they do look cool,..

I also second VR's request for an invasion of Crete.

When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro

Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to tsnouffer)
Post #: 8
RE: Guadalcanal FF - 1/18/2013 4:14:13 AM   
VR_IronFist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jamm
I also second VR's request for an invasion of Crete.

Shortly after I posted above, I wrote to Uwe directly and basically suggested the the same. He was not only kind enough to write me back but he also put me in tough with the designer of the "Invasion of Kreta!" I was ecstatic.

It was not only underway but the designer had already visited the island and had take lots of picture to aid in the development of the game. There's not much specifics except it was underdevelopment and it had a very tentative release date of 2014.

I did email back and forth with the designer, Kai von der Aa (who was extremely gracious in his answers) regarding some specifics. I particularly wanted to know how they might model Fallschirmjägers in the system, and when compared to existing units like Panzer Grenadiers. This is what he told me and gave me permission to share:

"Fallschirmjägers and also Gebirgsjägers will have their special treatment. Stats shouldn't model super heroes out of these soldiers, but the special education, training and faith (or corpse esprit) will lead to some special rules and for movement and morale checks. Also partisan actions will be modeled in a similar way."

I really look forward to see how they accomplish this.

(in reply to Jamm)
Post #: 9
RE: Guadalcanal FF - 1/25/2013 5:39:11 AM   
Ratzki

Are there any juicy tidbits on the progress of Storms of Steel?

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> Guadalcanal FF Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI