Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Realtime convert

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Realtime convert Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Realtime convert - 12/26/2012 4:48:20 PM   
Buio

Many 4x games are turn based, but Distant Worlds is pauseable slow realtime. After some time with the game, I now prefer realtime over turn based. There are just so many advantages in a game like this. There are never any rush either, I can pause whenever I want to and give orders and resolve stressful situations.

Of course I still also like turn based games. There are many excellent ones that probably could not be played any other way, like for example Civilization.

But compared to GalCiv2 and more recent games like Endless Space, I belive Distant Worlds has a superior model. Moving your ships in GalCiv2 around two squares per turn is just such a drag now. And the realism is just so much heightened with movement and fuel etc.
Post #: 1
RE: Realtime convert - 12/26/2012 7:49:04 PM   
Tyrador

Endless space is a total failure...especially the silly card based battles Distant worlds is No. 1 on the list of the top space 4x games. Even better than GC2 I should admit.

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 2
RE: Realtime convert - 12/26/2012 8:32:37 PM   
Bingeling

I have "always" liked relaxed, pausable real-time. Be it the infinity engine games, EUs or Distant Worlds.

I like to somewhat micro manage combat, and in war when 3 battles happen at once, that becomes a bit busy. No matter how slow and paused things can be the AI is superior to me when handling 9 things at once.

(in reply to Tyrador)
Post #: 3
RE: Realtime convert - 12/28/2012 2:08:08 PM   
stewart.bragg

Both have merit. Love Distant Worlds but like Civilization also. It's a matter of the game and the mechanics.

HOI3 & AACW2 Beta Tester

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 4
RE: Realtime convert - 12/28/2012 3:51:13 PM   
Modest

Exacly. Imagine chess in real time... Awful, isn't? But played in turns it is a splendit game.
But to be fair, generally if a game is turn based it have big minus in my book. I prefer games in real time, with very few exeptions (yes, chess is one of those exeptions).

(in reply to stewart.bragg)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Realtime convert Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI