Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Square into octagon -strat movement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog >> Mods and Scenarios >> Square into octagon -strat movement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Square into octagon -strat movement - 12/26/2012 4:08:53 PM   
davidss

Hi,
how to turn a square into an octagon?
Recently I've been exploring ideas of how to simulate a strategic map where all the individual maps connect to form one large continuous area.
While experimenting with hex shaped strategic map shapes (for six directions of movement) ... it seemed the basic square was best suited to visualize the terrain each map represents. The problem with a square, is the limit of movement to only four other surrounding maps.

The CC strategic map abstracts movement from map to map as an exit from a section of space on one map to the entry of a section of space on another ... which may allow for diagonal movement to four more maps (total of eight maps).

Depending on the size of deployment zones and potential conflicts in overlapping ... it may be possible to construct a strategic map with this idea.

Any thoughts about why this may not be possible in CC, or shouldn't be considered?
The attached image is portraying 4800 x 4800 pixels maps (600 x 600 meters in game) ... with about 150 meter length deployment zones ... with a buffer between for neutral deployment.

< Message edited by davidss -- 10/29/2013 6:33:55 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Square into octagon -strat movement - 2/20/2013 10:57:44 AM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: davidss

While experimenting with hex shaped strategic map shapes (for six directions of movement) ... it seemed the basic square was best suited to visualize the terrain each map represents.

Presumably you considered staggered squares, which would function like hexagons?

quote:

ORIGINAL: davidss

The CC strategic map abstracts movement from map to map as an exit from a section of space on one map to the entry of a section of space on another ... which may allow for diagonal movement to four more maps (total of eight maps).

Depending on the size of deployment zones and potential conflicts in overlapping ... it may be possible to construct a strategic map with this idea.

Any thoughts about why this may not be possible in CC, or shouldn't be considered?

This must have been the thought behind allowing eight map connections in CC V.

(in reply to davidss)
Post #: 2
RE: Square into octagon -strat movement - 2/21/2013 1:11:05 AM   
davidss

... the idea was to have one continuous area for a strat map, and connections linking that space from one map to the next. After more thought, I think the best way to accomplish this is by just having two connections for each side of a square ... without diagonal movement. 

< Message edited by davidss -- 2/21/2013 1:12:27 AM >

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 3
RE: Square into octagon -strat movement - 2/21/2013 8:12:00 AM   
CSO_Talorgan

OK

(in reply to davidss)
Post #: 4
RE: Square into octagon -strat movement - 2/21/2013 12:44:17 PM   
davidss

here's an example using an Operation Goodwood strat map concept.

< Message edited by davidss -- 10/29/2013 6:34:10 AM >

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 5
RE: Square into octagon -strat movement - 6/20/2013 2:38:12 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

Looks good.

(in reply to davidss)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog >> Mods and Scenarios >> Square into octagon -strat movement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI