Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/25/2012 3:06:47 PM   
geofflambert

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/25/entertainment-us-durning-idUSBRE8BO04A20121225
Post #: 1
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/25/2012 3:35:23 PM   
dr.hal

Wow as I had no idea that he was a hero as well!!! Thanks! Hal

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 2
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/25/2012 4:54:12 PM   
Bobdina1

Had no idea, thanks for sharing.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 3
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/25/2012 5:40:44 PM   
PaxMondo

Yeah, I think he was the last of the Hollywood WWII vets ... a real vet, not a USO show vet.

Pax

(in reply to Bobdina1)
Post #: 4
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/25/2012 6:14:53 PM   
crsutton

Don't be fooled by that mindless pap of an article. Although Mr. Durning was wounded in action and decorated veteran, there is not a single shred of evidence that he was anywhere near Malmedy when the massacre occurred. It is a perfect example of myth becoming fact on the internet.

Still, he was a fine actor with a distinguished career and deserves recognition for what he accomplished.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 5
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/25/2012 8:06:40 PM   
geofflambert

No mention of Malmedy in Wikipedia, though he was in the Bulge but in what capacity no one knows, and no mention of being a prisoner, however briefly.

He didn't like to talk about it, like so many vets. That leaves room for people to make stuff up.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/25/2012 8:09:51 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 1:03:20 PM   
geofflambert

Even the Washington Post obit for Durning repeats the same stuff plus that he helped liberate Buchenwald. I found this at another site:

Voight brought a friend, actor Charles Durning, 81. An Army Ranger, Durning survived D-Day, the Battle of the Bulge and eight bayonet wounds. He also helped liberate Buchenwald.

How do you survive eight bayonet wounds? Was he trying to see how fast he could stab the ground between his toes and got scratched eight times? Also ran into stuff about Lee Marvin supposedly saying that Bob Keeshan was a very brave sargeant at Iwo Jima (the Kaptain was barely 18 at the time and stateside). Also, Mr. Rogers was a navy seal who had 25 kills in Viet Nam and wore those long sleeve sweaters because his arms were covered in tattoos. Marvin allegedly said he was (Marvin) was wounded on Mt. Surabachi. He was never there. He was wounded on Saipan.

Come to think of it, did Richard Dreyfus actually ever know a Mary Ellen Moffit?

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/26/2012 5:08:52 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 3:11:49 PM   
RevRick

Way OT - but..
I would love to see what current CGI could do with the Gorn...
And could we get a few to join the Marines....

I have heard several different times that Durning was in the Normandy invasion, and landed on June 6th. What outfit and what happened I don't know. But I have known several vets from that operation, and they deserve a salute no matter what!

< Message edited by RevRick -- 12/26/2012 3:16:21 PM >

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Post #: 8
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 4:35:27 PM   
geofflambert

This settles nothing of course. This is one of the longest obits I've seen in the NYT and I've been getting it every day for over twenty years.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 9
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 4:36:05 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 10
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 4:37:53 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 4:38:25 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 4:39:05 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 4:39:51 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 4:40:32 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 4:41:13 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 4:43:19 PM   
geofflambert

Sorry, I posted the wrong edit at the beginning.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 4:47:12 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

Way OT - but..
I would love to see what current CGI could do with the Gorn...
And could we get a few to join the Marines....

I have heard several different times that Durning was in the Normandy invasion, and landed on June 6th. What outfit and what happened I don't know. But I have known several vets from that operation, and they deserve a salute no matter what!

I'd like to animate this - - but I haven't got round to it yet. [gotten around]

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 18
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 4:53:02 PM   
geofflambert

Incidentally, the author, Robert Berkvist, is a journalist who specializes on the stage, actors, directors etc.. He does not specialize in anything military or war story wise. I can't vouch for him, but a lot of writers in his area are more critics than real journalists.

Post #: 19
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 5:09:40 PM   
crsutton

Well, read the obit in both the Washington Post and New York Times today. Nobody really seems to have any accurate record of Mr. Durning's actual military career. But it does not stop virtually every media news source and blogger from passing on the same myths. He was a ranger, he was in the Big Red One, he went ashore in the first wave at Normandy, he suffered multiple bayonet wounds. (one of rarest forms of injury in WWII), he stepped on a S-mine, he killed a German soldier with a rock, he was one of the few survivors at Malmedy, he was one of only three survivors at Malmedy, (really, only three? ), he was present at the liberation of Buchenwald-it just goes on. It makes Audie Murphey look like a total wanker.

I don't necessarily think Mr. Durning was responsible for all of this myth, although he seemed somewhat reluctant to deny any of it. Not out of character for an dramatic actor... I have been know to let a few embellishments about my life remain uncorrected.

It is just sad to see major news organizations pass around such stuff without verifying the facts.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 20
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 5:43:29 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton
I don't necessarily think Mr. Durning was responsible for all of this myth, although he seemed somewhat reluctant to deny any of it. Not out of character for an dramatic actor... I have been know to let a few embellishments about my life remain uncorrected.

Embellishments about your life? Have you seen my current AAR?

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/26/2012 9:06:56 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 21
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 7:36:09 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

It is just sad to see major news organizations pass around such stuff without verifying the facts.

Sad, yes. But absolutely nothing out of character about it, which is even sadder.

Whatever precisely was his military record, Durning seems to me to have been the real deal. As far as not denying myths that others propagate, how does one do that? How much of his life should have been spent chasing down what other people said not in his presence and then seeking (and getting!) sufficient publicity to counteract it? Heck, he might not even have known some or much of the stuff people made up and passed around. I go easy on him on that score, and instead would only hold him responsible for what he wrote and said. He might well have spoken out about some myths but we never heard about it because those same sad "journalists" never published it.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 22
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/26/2012 9:58:02 PM   
RevRick

The only thing I recall of possible substance is that he was interviewed on a television special sometime around 1994 about the Normandy Invasion, (and this is really digging back into memory) he also was asked to narrate a special about the invasion at another time. Do not rely on that, that is deep in long term memory - but my recollection of the fact that he was in the invasion is at least two decades old. Now try finding that on the net somewhere without slogging through 18 gazillion trivial posts of utter nonsense.

There were a couple of others that surprised me too. Like Eddie Albert (of Greenacres fame, no less) who was a coxswain for a landing craft at Tarawa.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 23
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/27/2012 5:14:54 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

There were a couple of others that surprised me too. Like Eddie Albert (of Greenacres fame, no less) who was a coxswain for a landing craft at Tarawa.

I never knew that!!!!!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 24
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/27/2012 7:01:41 AM   
geofflambert

Mr. Ziffle was on the same boat and Mr. Haney was the beachmaster.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 25
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/27/2012 4:25:17 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

quote:

I never knew that!!!!!

He was interviewed about it on a show about the Pacific war quite some time ago. He told the story (as best I remember it) how on one run back out he approached a group of Marines who were standing on a reef under fire. They had lost all their weapons in the deep water, and he tried to take them aboard. They refused. Instead, they asked him to bring them more rifles so they could make their way to the beach where they were needed.

He got rifles for them at one of the transports, and when he returned to them they were all dead.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 26
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/27/2012 9:10:03 PM   
crsutton

Well, the Washington Post issued a correction today about Mr. During's involvement in the Malmedy massacre. Don't know why this rubbed me the wrong way so much. Perhaps because all major media outlets were putting out the same misinformation. Below is the body of my letter to the editors that I wrote yesterday.

I was pained to read of the death of one of my favorite actors in the Post today. Even more painful to me was to read that according to the Post Mr. Durning "escaped the most deadly massacre of US troops during the war." Did the reporter think that Mr. Durining was a survivor of the Bataan Death March? No, of course not, since Mr. During did not serve in the Pacific. The obituary writer was in fact referring to the oft stated and unsubstantiated fact that Mr. Durning was present at the famous Malmedy massacre that took place during the Battle of the Bulge. There is no doubt that Mr. Durning served and was wounded in the European theater and without question he deserves our respect. But if the Post has found some accurate historical sources to confirm that he was indeed present during the massacre then now would be the time to disclose them.

In light of Mr. Durning's interesting and productive life perhaps this is a small matter. My point is that this article represents a more serious issue as far as the integrity of your paper. If a news organization as respected as the Post is willing to cut corners pass on misinformation without making a respectable effort to verify facts in a simple obituary then what credibility should we give any other article presented by your paper? I have long since given up relying on television, radio and internet news sources as trustworthy sources. Has the Washington Post also lowered the bar? I hope not. We not only expect but need you to be the best.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 27
RE: Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) - 12/27/2012 9:42:03 PM   
geofflambert

Good for you crsutton.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Goodbye to Charles Durning. (Jack Klugman too) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI