Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Anatomy of a near-death experience

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> After Action Reports >> RE: Anatomy of a near-death experience Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Anatomy of a near-death experience - 12/26/2012 9:17:05 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

All over - Italy join the war and I have no units left on the Western Front and nothing to defend against Italy with. Well played Ulver!
warspite1

I think our posts crossed

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 31
RE: Anatomy of a near-death experience - 12/26/2012 9:18:55 PM   
ulver

quote:

All over - Italy join the war and I have no units left on the Western Front and nothing to defend against Italy with. Well played Ulver!

You are conceding? You are totally kicking my ass in Russia – I am in the process of fortifying Petrograd as you are rapidly approaching. Was going to to a bit of AAR there about the Armored Train hero cities.

I would love to see a post about your grand strategic thinking in this game from the onset. You totally did the opposite of what I expected pretty much every turn. I figured that the short western front and initial British neutrality is an invitation to Go east and seek to knock Russia out of the war in 1915. Yes the price is that France gets to build a stack of bombers and turns the Ruhr to rubble ( or alternatively gets high tech artillery with obscene amounts of ammunition) but I figure that is a price worth paying.

You went west in a big way - why?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: Anatomy of a near-death experience - 12/26/2012 9:34:52 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ulver

quote:

You are conceding? You are totally kicking my ass in Russia – I am in the process of fortifying Petrograd as you are rapidly approaching. Was going to to a bit of AAR there about the Armored Train hero cities.

I would love to see a post about your grand strategic thinking in this game from the onset. You totally did the opposite of what I expected pretty much every turn. I figured that the short western front and initial British neutrality is an invitation to Go east and seek to knock Russia out of the war in 1915. Yes the price is that France gets to build a stack of bombers and turns the Ruhr to rubble ( or alternatively gets high tech artillery with obscene amounts of ammunition) but I figure that is a price worth paying.

warspite1

Why? Because I am in the mould of Alexander, Caesar or Napoleon; a tactical and strategic genius without parallel....

..well, either that or I just got lucky because I didn't even consider going east! The fact that I then put a French unit within one hex of Paris confirms I am in fact, a complete moron

What I achieved in Russia proves that that should have been the way to go, but.....

On a more serious note though - I must say that any games I play in future will be on the proviso that a) there is no disbanding and b) strategic bombing needs to be curtailed massively. It wasn't a feature of WWI, but can be a killer in this game.

Another fun game though Ulver - thank-you. You are a very good player, and with your ability to exploit rules and test things to the limit you really should be a beta tester

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 12/26/2012 9:35:36 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to ulver)
Post #: 33
RE: Anatomy of a near-death experience - 12/26/2012 9:51:15 PM   
ulver

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ulver

quote:

warspite1

Why? Because I am in the mould of Alexander, Caesar or Napoleon; a tactical and strategic genius without parallel....

..well, either that or I just got lucky because I didn't even consider going east! The fact that I then put a French unit within one hex of Paris confirms I am in fact, a complete moron

What I achieved in Russia proves that that should have been the way to go, but.....

On a more serious note though - I must say that any games I play in future will be on the proviso that a) there is no disbanding and b) strategic bombing needs to be curtailed massively. It wasn't a feature of WWI, but can be a killer in this game.

Another fun game though Ulver - thank-you. You are a very good player, and with your ability to exploit rules and test things to the limit you really should be a beta tester

The Entente needs to be able to reduce cost if faced with a serious U-boat effort. You also need the ability to disband to get the cash to repair damaged corps.

If you have two damaged corps and no PP to repair them it makes sense to be able to disbanded one to repair the other, eliminating the ability to disband would cause other problems that might be as big as the ones we have. I actually rather like that you have a constant balancing act in the trade-off between the size of your army and production. Makes sense to me – you keep your workers in the factories and farms or do you send everyone to the front? Nations did disband forces as various times to send workers back to industry and farming.

The ability to strategic bombard is very powerful and massive 4 engine bombers were being built in 1918 to bomb Berlin
http://www.thecrossinthesky.com/2008/10/did-british-ever-successfully-bomb.html

They didn’t quite make it before the war ended but it does make sense that strategic bombardment is a path to pursuit It is just that you can get it far too early in this game. I would suggest a nation can only build a number of bombers equal to its bomber technology. Nothing wrong with plauserbal what-if technology. The problem is the devastating bomber raids in 1915, that should only be possible in 1918 with a massive investment in researching a specialized strategic bomber.

EDIT: Make that bomber technology -1. Italy enters the war with bomber technology 2 and Russia with 3 (the latter dosen't matter much they will never be able to build more then 1 anyway but having 2 Italian bombers in 1915 is just crazy. Capping it at bomber tech -1 makes more sense anyway.

< Message edited by ulver -- 12/26/2012 10:09:37 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> After Action Reports >> RE: Anatomy of a near-death experience Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI