Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Proofreading Service for Scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Proofreading Service for Scenarios Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Proofreading Service for Scenarios - 12/24/2012 11:57:59 AM   
General Staff

I look at a lot of scenarios, and sometimes the English could use some improvement in the scenario briefing++. This is obviously more so where English is not a first language.

So if anyone has any interest in getting their scenarios checked for English grammar++, just send me what you'd like me to look at and I'll gladly take a look at it and get back to you with suggested changes that you can decide whether to use or not.

Now I know some joker is likely to chime in with 'start with your own posts, will you?', but seriously it seems a 'win-win' for a lot of reasons:

1) It's an obvious 'win' if done correctly in terms of user understanding of the scenario.
2) It's a 'win' for me since I may get to see more scenarios.
3) Prior experience- I've done it before for a few designers (and, in a former life, advertising agencies), either as a stand-alone effort or as part of playtesting.
4) Native English speaker (UK or US if you wish, so colour or color, your choice), and some additional language skills particularly related to Military History, so I know abbreviations well and what Pz.Kpfw. stands for and means for example. If you give me a text in an original language and an English translation I'll attempt to reconcile for grammar, but only as an adjunct to the grammar++ effort.
5) No playtesting, though I may look at the scenario some, and this in itself might be useful if you talk about a unit I can't see for example. That's simply because I don't want to promise what I can't deliver.

This is a purely volunteer effort and is done on a 'best efforts' basis. It would seem to me designers have nothing to lose other than the overhead of organizing an email, since they can incorporate suggestions in their scenarios however they please or not at all.

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
(J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
Post #: 1
RE: Proofreading Service for Scenarios - 12/24/2012 12:03:14 PM   
demjansk

That's nice of you to offer this to others,

(in reply to General Staff)
Post #: 2
RE: Proofreading Service for Scenarios - 12/24/2012 1:26:35 PM   
General Staff

Hehe, maybe, see 2. Since any will likely be from non-native English speakers, I'll hopefully see scenarios off the beaten ('Anglo-Saxon' world) track, which I find interesting. I've seen particularly good stuff from the Polish TOAW contingent 1918-1939 which have taken me to areas of history I was previously completely ignorant of.

(in reply to demjansk)
Post #: 3
RE: Proofreading Service for Scenarios - 12/24/2012 2:47:56 PM   
Telumar

1.) Merry Christmas! 2.) Great offer! I usually asked my native speaker playtesters, but as scenarios develop, so do the briefings.. I have a briefing for a new version of Anzio 1944 @2km and Nijmegen 1944. Unfortunately both are in Adobe InDesign's .indd format, but i could export the text portions to a .doc or .odf. Or provide the documents as pdf files. If you're interested, drop me a mail. In case you don't have my e-mail adress anymore: cariundel at yahoo de.

Post #: 4
RE: Proofreading Service for Scenarios - 12/24/2012 5:23:23 PM   
General Staff

I can deal with most formats, but MS Word .doc allows me to put into MS Word. This has really exceptional auditing abilities (I'd imagine .odt has something similar but I don't use it that much), so you can view and accept/reject suggested changes and then pull a final version back out to whatever you're using.

I can return in .rtf format- readable by most WP apps- or if I've the software- and I've access to most formats in and out- return it to you in your preferred format. Your choice though, again, MS Word .doc allows for easier edit audit and accept/reject functionality at your end.

Best also to use a service like Dropbox to post files rather than clogging up mailboxes- http://db.tt/ieqdpshA if you want an account which will throw a few MBs of storage my way.

< Message edited by General Staff -- 12/24/2012 6:02:09 PM >

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 5
RE: Proofreading Service for Scenarios - 12/26/2012 2:26:42 PM   
altipueri

I once thought I could eat for free in Europe by offering to correct bad/amusing English in menu translations for free if they fed me for free.

But great idea, I remember trying to make sense of some scenario instructions in some other game where it had probably gone through the babelfish from Russian to German to English.

You know the old stuff: "Send re-inforcements we are going to advance" became "Send three and four-pence we are going to a dance"

Post #: 6
RE: Proofreading Service for Scenarios - 12/26/2012 3:46:38 PM   
General Staff

Hehe. Look on the bright side, I may get free scenarios to look at pre-release, but then I suppose with TOAW I'd (eventually) get them free anyway. Which, unfortunately for TOAW, makes game engines like Decisive Campaigns' and 'Panzer Corps' far more attractive (even just viable) financially- with add-ons- to any games publisher.

Otherwise, be amused: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-497544/Chinglish-Hilarious-examples-signs-lost-translation.html

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Proofreading Service for Scenarios Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI