This game could use a couple of small fixes

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

PKH

This game could use a couple of small fixes

Post by PKH »

I've played this game it a bit before, and after downloading it again and playing some hours yesterday I feel it's a good game struggling with a really clunky ui. A couple of small things I would change which would improve playability a lot in my opinion.

- 'Save AP for fire' needs a shortcut, and the it's state needs to be saved per unit or globally, and not reset everytime I select a unit. Another possibility is to have a modifier key like 'alt' to override the 'save ap' and let me move the full amount.

- The 'Fast Computer player' needs to be fast. There is a 1-2 second pause between each move the AI does, and removing this would speed up the AI turn probably 3-4 times.

- 'Show hierarchy' needs to also highlight sibling units that share the same hq so I can keep them together before the hq shows up. It should use a different color for sibling units.

- The reachable hexes hightligt should be reversed, so instead of darkening most of the map, only the reachable hexes are darkened. Also it seems so show the hexes for the unit in a group which can go the farthest, when it should show for the unit which can go the shortest.

- There seems to an issues with a lot of the roads going through forests, in that the road gives no movement benefit when moving on it which makes no sense.

That's all I can remember at the momemt.
junk2drive

RE: This game could use a couple of small fixes

Post by junk2drive »

Did you press the M key to see the top menu? Click Options and select Auto Save APs for Firing. Or I don't understand your request.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: PKH

- 'Save AP for fire' needs a shortcut, and the it's state needs to be saved per unit or globally, and not reset everytime I select a unit. Another possibility is to have a modifier key like 'alt' to override the 'save ap' and let me move the full amount.

As junk mentioned above. M for Menu -- Options -- check on Auto Save AP's for firing.

- 'Show hierarchy' needs to also highlight sibling units that share the same hq so I can keep them together before the hq shows up. It should use a different color for sibling units.

Select a platoon and press the "Highlight Organization" button at the bottom of the screen, to the right of the binoculars.

- There seems to an issues with a lot of the roads going through forests, in that the road gives no movement benefit when moving on it which makes no sense.

The maximum number of SP's that can gain the benefits from road travel is 12 SP's. If you are trying to send more than 12 SP's down the road, it will default to the terrain type. ie, a forest, which is 65 AP's.

Jason Petho

PKH

Post by PKH »

As junk mentioned above. M for Menu -- Options -- check on Auto Save AP's for firing.

I'm aware of this, but it only sets the mode at the start of the turn for all units. You can't use this to switch default mode during a turn. I think a modifier key to override the default 'save ap for fire' mode would work quite well.
Select a platoon and press the "Highlight Organization" button at the bottom of the screen, to the right of the binoculars.

This is what I'm using, but it doesn't show sibling units. It only shows units and their HQ. Before the HQ shows up, I have to go into the unit detail (f2) to find out find out where it belongs. I want to be able to tell f.ex. which units belonging in the same batallion before the batallion HQ shows up. Highlighting siblings like that with a different color would do this.
The maximum number of SP's that can gain the benefits from road travel is 12 SP's. If you are trying to send more than 12 SP's down the road, it will default to the terrain type. ie, a forest, which is 65 AP's.
I'm aware of this as well. The problem is that a lot of the roads have trees growing in the middle of them, and it seems to cost as much to move through these hexes as to move though woods.

Another couple of things which I would change:
- The prompt at the start of the turn should be possible to disable, or have it show up as a text log on the screen. The same with the reinforcements dialog which shows up.
- The combat results dialog would be better as a scrolling onscreen text log. The dialog, although it can be skipped with space gets quite annoying.
- It shouldn't cost AP's to mount and dismount units during the mission setup fase. You can freely move them, but mounting costs AP.

I'm aware of this, but it only sets the mode at the start of the turn for all units. You can't use this to switch default mode during a turn. I think a modifier key to override the default 'save ap for fire' mode would work quite well.

This is what I'm using, but it doesn't show sibling units. It only shows units and their HQ. Before the HQ shows up, I have to go into the unit detail (f2) to find out find out where it belongs. I want to be able to tell f.ex. which units belonging in the same batallion before the batallion HQ shows up. Highlighting siblings like that with a different color would do this.
I'm aware of this as well. The problem is that a lot of the roads have trees growing in the middle of them, and it seems to cost as much to move through these hexes as to move though woods.

Another couple of things which I would change:
- The prompt at the start of the turn should be possible to disable, or have it show up as a text log on the screen. The same with the reinforcements dialog which shows up.
- The combat results dialog would be better as a scrolling onscreen text log. The dialog, although it can be skipped with space gets quite annoying. (edit: I've found out it can be disabled thank the gods)
- It shouldn't cost AP's to mount and dismount units during the mission setup fase. You can freely move them, but mounting costs AP.
- There should be an option for reinforcements to always show up mounted/loaded in their vehicles.
- As long as someone in a stack can shoot, I should be able to shoot without having to deselect units which have too low ap or have too short range. Also, the range shown should be the longest available in the stack.
- I'd like an option to select the minimum days between missions (up to at least 30) in the dynamic camapaigns to speed up the progress in the long dynamic campaigns.

And some more which would make the UI a lot more efficent:
- The whole 'reserve ap for X' could just be thrown out and replaced with different color overlays. F.ex. Green where you can move & shoot, and red for max movement. For carriers green could be max move & unload, yellow - max move & shoot, red - max movement.
- The move/fire toggle could be thrown out as well. Moving the cursor over an enemy should default to attack on right click. Have a toggle like ctrl to add to an assault instead.
- It should also copy the unit placement system from steel panthers where selection automatically passes to the next unit when placing a unit, with options to go to next/prev unit and next/prev formation. I'm starting to wonder if the designer was trying to see how much clunkyness he could shoehorn into this game.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”