Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

resources, how do i know what i need?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> resources, how do i know what i need? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
resources, how do i know what i need? - 12/24/2012 1:17:19 AM   
lethstang

Noob here. So Im noticing things are built much slower on my new planets. Now, I dont see any kind of construction values like you do in other games. Such as a defense base takes 100 production, 5 turns left to complete etc. So Im assuming the speed is based on how quickly its getting resupplied by freighters.

If thats the case, how do I know what resources Im lacking? I read in another thread a good tool to use is under ship/base tab, and then cargo holds. But Im not really sure how to read this. I see one columb with numbers, and then to the right one labeled "rsvd". What do both numbers mean? How do I use them?

Another question - under research it tells me what my potential is, and what im producing. Everything past my potential that im producing is wasted, correct?

Why does it let me continue to build more and more research labs on one planet? Do you guys just build a bunch of research in one system up to your max and then forget about it? Doesnt make sense to me why I would build research in two separate systems without bonuses then. Why not just take your highest bonus system and build all your research there?

A new race apppeared in my game. behind in everything else but its military is twice as powerful as the next runner up. He declared war on me. how do you fight something that much more powerful?

I have everything on automated. I pretty much just step in and order my fleet around. Veto diplomatic things. Tell them its ok to build something. Tell them its ok to build more ships. I feel like Im not even playing. How do I know when to build more mines (shouldnt I always build as many as possible) and how many freighters etc?
Post #: 1
RE: resources, how do i know what i need? - 12/24/2012 8:50:45 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: lethstang

Noob here. So Im noticing things are built much slower on my new planets. Now, I dont see any kind of construction values like you do in other games. Such as a defense base takes 100 production, 5 turns left to complete etc. So Im assuming the speed is based on how quickly its getting resupplied by freighters.

If thats the case, how do I know what resources Im lacking? I read in another thread a good tool to use is under ship/base tab, and then cargo holds. But Im not really sure how to read this. I see one columb with numbers, and then to the right one labeled "rsvd". What do both numbers mean? How do I use them?

Materials for the build is reserved on the colony doing the build. This number will appear under "rsvd". They will also reserve some luxuries, which confuses things a bit, but luxuries are not used in the build. If the number behind "rsvd" is larger than the "amt", you got a shortage. The other sources for "rsvd" number are freighters incoming to pick things up, and ships incoming with refuel order. But they will never reserve something that is there, and give no shortage.

There is two relevant things, one is having materials, the other is the build speed. I think you may see a speed value if you look at the construction tab of the planet, but if that is not the case, the speed difference between a 30M fresh colony and a 10000M mature colony is significant, even when materials are present.
quote:

Another question - under research it tells me what my potential is, and what im producing. Everything past my potential that im producing is wasted, correct?

Why does it let me continue to build more and more research labs on one planet? Do you guys just build a bunch of research in one system up to your max and then forget about it? Doesnt make sense to me why I would build research in two separate systems without bonuses then. Why not just take your highest bonus system and build all your research there?

It is a free galaxy, you can build what you want :)

I think you need to build to your capacity in the "unmodded" base numbers. The number before bonuses.
If you use AI designed spaceports, you will usually have more than enough research labs spread around on those.

quote:

A new race apppeared in my game. behind in everything else but its military is twice as powerful as the next runner up. He declared war on me. how do you fight something that much more powerful?

By being stronger and smarter. If you are not happy about this happening, disabling the return of shakturi story may be an idea while learning. :)

quote:

I have everything on automated. I pretty much just step in and order my fleet around. Veto diplomatic things. Tell them its ok to build something. Tell them its ok to build more ships. I feel like Im not even playing. How do I know when to build more mines (shouldnt I always build as many as possible) and how many freighters etc?

You can not order freighters. Those are the civilians, and you got no control. Automated constructors does a decent job at building mines, but if you want to do this manually you should check your empire's stores, and your resource locations. The easiest thing to notice is lack of fuel sources, but the AI has gotten better with those as well.

(in reply to lethstang)
Post #: 2
RE: resources, how do i know what i need? - 1/3/2013 11:51:11 PM   
Ardilus

Doesnt make sense to me why I would build research in two separate systems without bonuses then. Why not just take your highest bonus system and build all your research there?

If your research system is discovered by an enemy he can set you back years. Sometimes it is better not to put all the eggs into one basket. I usually begin a map with research concentrated at my homeworld space-port, and later claim a couple high bonus locations for each research field, while removing research facilities from all ports (no bonuses).

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: resources, how do i know what i need? - 1/4/2013 12:03:03 AM   
Ardilus

quote:

If you are directing construction activities through the expansion planner or other means, keep in mind that a glut of resources can drive the trade price down in the mid and late game. Also everything you build has a maintenance cost, so while it is generally beneficial to have more mines, keep an eye on your economy. Although mining stations operate in the private sector, maintenance costs will reduce the cash available for taxation. You can turn off construction automation by turning off automation on each construction ship.

There is a set amount of freighters and other civilian ships produced for each planet you colonize.

(in reply to Ardilus)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> resources, how do i know what i need? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI