Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Huge Leap Forward

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> A Huge Leap Forward Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Huge Leap Forward - 12/23/2012 11:41:04 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Thanks for listening to the players and improving on the tabletop/counter aspect of your game. While many more will appreciate the classic rules being implemented, I cut my teeth on the persistent ap's and am real glad to see the counters get the respect they deserve.

And dynamic counter stats- wow! Never even envisioned that.

Now for one final nit-pik of a wish.

Some way for the camera to be fully free roaming that can tilt and rise and remembers the angle of the tilt while zooming in and out. Would it ever be possible to be able to be at ground level, panned upwards and rise to what is basically a top down view without switching between modes?

Barring that, like another posted, just having the camera retain the tilt you set up while the camera zooms up and down would be a blessing.

Again, congratulations on giving what so many people wanted it appears; a nearly direct port of the tabletop experience.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Post #: 1
RE: A Huge Leap Forward - 12/23/2012 11:54:50 PM   
junk2drive

Did you know about these?

Ctrl+ScrollWheel . Rotate Camera
Alt+Scroll........ Tilt Camera
Shift+Scroll...... Camera Height
Alt+Lt or Rt Arrow Rotate Map 1/6th

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 2
RE: A Huge Leap Forward - 12/24/2012 12:08:25 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Actually my mouse already does this. Much easier.

Hold Right Click and pan L/R...... Rotate Camera.

Hold Right Click and pan Up/Down.... Tilt Camera

Mouse wheel........................ Camera Height

I'm thinking more of a seamless transition all across the camera spectrum.

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: A Huge Leap Forward - 12/24/2012 12:16:55 AM   
junk2drive

Mouse wheel alone swings the camera, wheel plus shift raises/lowers the camera without changing the angle.

Right click and pan does not work well on my setup, wheel plus ctrl does.

Seems like all games have something with camera controls that people don't like or have a hard time adjusting to.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

Post #: 4
RE: A Huge Leap Forward - 12/24/2012 1:04:58 AM   
ericbabe

You can run the game in console mode by passing "console" (without quotes) as a command line argument to the game in the shortcut (www.ehow.com/how_7208987_add-line-parameter-windows-shortcut.html) then from within the game access the console by pressing '`' and then in the console enter the command "freecam". Freecam mode lets you move the camera anywhere.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 5
RE: A Huge Leap Forward - 12/24/2012 5:23:44 AM   
junk2drive

Couldn't get it to work. I even tried creating a new shortcut to autorun.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 6
RE: A Huge Leap Forward - 12/24/2012 5:32:18 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

That's definitely free moving. Eric. Is there any way for the camera to retain its position when changing heights?

After tilting the view to the appropriate setting it always reverts back to a predetermined view instead of simply raising and lowering from that angle. Always did seem a limitation on the camera.

Does this make sense?

mo reb

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 7
RE: A Huge Leap Forward - 12/24/2012 3:43:47 PM   
ericbabe

You can use the CTRL/SHIFT/ALT keys to move the camera freely, but the wheel by itself returns the camera to a system of angles/positions. We do this so that if users get "lost" navigating with the camera they can just spin the wheel without decoration keys and they should immediately be back to a sensible view. If you don't want to be constrained to this system, just don't use an undecorated mouse wheel spin.

You can use the SHIFT key to modify the y-position of the camera without changing any of its rotations.

Post #: 8
RE: A Huge Leap Forward - 12/24/2012 3:48:37 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive
Couldn't get it to work. I even tried creating a new shortcut to autorun.

Did you create a shortcut to HexGame.exe? If so, right click on this shortcut, select "Properties." You should see a dialog with a tab called "Shortcut." On this page there should be a field called "Target." In that field there will be a path similar to:

"E:\Matrix Games\Conflict of Heroes\HexGame.exe"

Edit this path so that it reads:

"E:\Matrix Games\Conflict of Heroes\HexGame.exe" console

Hopefully that should do it.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 9
RE: A Huge Leap Forward - 12/24/2012 3:59:10 PM   
junk2drive

In PCO we used a / so it would be .exe" /console and the webpage you referenced also used a /

I tried the hexgame exe first and got an error message but I'll try again.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 10
RE: A Huge Leap Forward - 12/24/2012 4:02:40 PM   
ericbabe

Yes, no slash before the arguments, just "console" all by itself. (Well, with a space.)

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 11
RE: A Huge Leap Forward - 12/24/2012 4:31:05 PM   
junk2drive

With Windows 8 I have admin rights on my login. I had to switch to administrator login to add the switch and run the game on that desktop to get it to work. If I try from my login I get an error message about Emitters.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 12
RE: A Huge Leap Forward - 12/24/2012 6:56:56 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Did you know about these?

Ctrl+ScrollWheel . Rotate Camera
Alt+Scroll........ Tilt Camera
Shift+Scroll...... Camera Height
Alt+Lt or Rt Arrow Rotate Map 1/6th

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

You can run the game in console mode by passing "console" (without quotes) as a command line argument to the game in the shortcut (www.ehow.com/how_7208987_add-line-parameter-windows-shortcut.html) then from within the game access the console by pressing '`' and then in the console enter the command "freecam". Freecam mode lets you move the camera anywhere.

Thanks. The keyboard shortcuts and the free cam work together great.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> A Huge Leap Forward Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI