Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wasted Political Points?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Wasted Political Points? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wasted Political Points? - 12/23/2012 9:22:01 PM   
guytipton41

Hi Folks,

In a stock scenario 1 game with PDU off, as the allies I bought some Dutch air units out of the dead pile. I'm beginning to fear (OK, feel certain) that I have wasted these points. This is my first PBEM game and I never lost the DEI in my AI games. Will I ever have any airplanes for these units?

Cheers,
Guy

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Wasted Political Points? - 12/23/2012 10:02:46 PM   
Alfred

Read this very recent but extremely badly misplaced thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3238169

In your case, as PDU is Off, your upgrade options are very limited. But not entirely for all the resurrected air groups. A very few Dutch air units can switch to other Allied nationality airframes. You will have to identify whether any of those few units have been resurrected.

The PPs have not been completely wasted as later on there are a few RAF and RAAF squadrons which appear piloted by Dutch flyers but equipped with no Dutch planes. Thus the resurrected air units, even without airframes, can be employed to train up Dutch pilots before the arrival of these other units.

Alfred

(in reply to guytipton41)
Post #: 2
RE: Wasted Political Points? - 12/23/2012 11:38:12 PM   
Cannonfodder

What Alfred said. Training will be slow though, without aircraft..

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: Wasted Political Points? - 12/24/2012 6:43:25 AM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Thus the resurrected air units, even without airframes, can be employed to train up Dutch pilots before the arrival of these other units.

Alfred

If you have a/c you can also use the LBs on ASW they won't do much damage.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 4
RE: Wasted Political Points? - 12/24/2012 3:30:53 PM   
guytipton41

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Read this very recent but extremely badly misplaced thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3238169

In your case, as PDU is Off, your upgrade options are very limited. But not entirely for all the resurrected air groups. A very few Dutch air units can switch to other Allied nationality airframes. You will have to identify whether any of those few units have been resurrected.

The PPs have not been completely wasted as later on there are a few RAF and RAAF squadrons which appear piloted by Dutch flyers but equipped with no Dutch planes. Thus the resurrected air units, even without airframes, can be employed to train up Dutch pilots before the arrival of these other units.

Alfred

Hi Alfred,

This is information I was looking for. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

As a follow-on question: Is looking at the air unit upgrade options (while in the game) sufficient, or do I need AE Editor to see if some chrysalis is programmed for my Dutch caterpillars?

Cheers,
Guy

Ps. As a Christmas gift I need a clone of Alfred's brain in a jar next to my computer... maybe a jar with a USB port.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5
RE: Wasted Political Points? - 12/24/2012 4:20:42 PM   
Alfred

No need to use the Editor. In general terms, when trying to ascertain the available options for use of aircraft models one is in fact better off not using the editor and instead rely solely on the in game "upgrade path" data which is quicker and allows for easy crossover to other relevant screens in game.

With PDU Off, clicking on the upgrade button takes you to the only aircraft model upgrade option the scenario designer has allowed. Not having choices makes it very simple.

For the original at start Dutch units, don't expect to find much of a chrysallis. For the few Dutch units scheduled to upgrade to other Allied nationality aircraft the potential pool of aircraft models are primarily limited to:

• the Australian Brewster Buffalo - a very short production run, luckily you won't find many Dutch fighter squadrons given this option
  • the Amercian B-25C Mitchell - not to be confused with the Dutch Mitchell of same nomenclamature

The future arriving Dutch flying for other airforces will be equipped with British Catalinas and Australian Mitchells II and IIRC Australian Dakotas. Note that one of these future units should arrive flying medium bombers but it will shift to flying Australian Kittyhawks (well at least it does with PDU ON although I can't remember whether it was scehduled to do so or I opted for the change).

Alfred

Post #: 6
RE: Wasted Political Points? - 12/24/2012 4:22:28 PM   
crsutton

Well, you wasted some points. Don't worry about it. It is not much.

You don't want to buy back everything you can in a email game-especially Commonwealth units. There are just not enough squads or devices to rebuild them all. Look to rebuild full divisions and tank brigades first.

Don't ever buy back a Dutch unit.

Buy back all American units. You will have no trouble filling them up.

Buy back all base forces and engineers. You can never have enough enough. Never buy AT unit and AA only if you have the devices. I would buy back most all HQ units.

Don't necessarily buy back every squadron you lose. If you lose a large carrier VT squadron you can take smaller squadrons, Marine or Navy, and and just put them on a carrier and expand them. Late in the war, you are hard pressed to use all of you squadrons anyways. I would buy back any lost US Army or Commonwealth fighter or bomber squadrons, but it is really the carrier squadrons that you are likely to lose in combat.

My take on it...

I should note that I am playing with PDU on. With it off there may be certain air groups that come to a dead end that you will not want to buy back but I don't know. You will have to check.

< Message edited by crsutton -- 12/24/2012 4:25:40 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Wasted Political Points? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI