Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ATG Civilization

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> ATG Civilization Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ATG Civilization - 12/21/2012 2:11:57 PM   
ironduke1955

Civ 5 is hex based why can't they use Vic's ATG gaming system. The military system in CIV 5 is so simplistic it makes Tic Tack Toe look complicated. Or what about ATG Civilization's.
Post #: 1
RE: ATG Civilization - 12/21/2012 2:30:05 PM   
Bombur

You have to master the event engine to simulate civilian economy and economic development. Such a scenario won´t be AI compatible too.

(in reply to ironduke1955)
Post #: 2
RE: ATG Civilization - 12/21/2012 4:59:23 PM   
ironduke1955

Give a guy some hope here please. Or give the CIV guys a kick up the pants.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 3
RE: ATG Civilization - 12/21/2012 5:14:19 PM   
Madlok

Large map, shroud, one town, loop, stone age, depleted land and you have 4X game like Civ.

Mój blog o strategiach po polsku (not English) https://strategiusz.wordpress.com

Post #: 4
RE: ATG Civilization - 12/21/2012 7:26:45 PM   
Josh

Yeah it can be tempting to see ATG develop to a Civ like game... add this and add that, but in the end it would not improve but ruin the game. So I think more like Madlok here; play on a large shrouded map starting in the "stone age" it's almost like Civ/Colonization. Civ never has been a true wargame, so the conflict aspect of it sucks.
Now on the other hand if someone could develop a ATG mod along the lines of "Call to Power"...

Man I loved that game.

(in reply to Madlok)
Post #: 5
RE: ATG Civilization - 12/21/2012 8:31:41 PM   
ironduke1955

The commander system lends itself very well to creating a balanced Ancient Medieval or Napoleonic army. I liked call to power in many ways it was superior to CIV but the Military systems always like CIV let the games down. Tanks being destroyed by a Phalanx (More Civ 3 than Civ 5). I was trying to calculate how many Sarissas you need to shove down the barrel to disable a tank. I have played the game on stone age good fun. But there is no more fun than taking the well laid out and organised homeland of your enemy and trampling it to dust, after all he declared war on you.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 6
RE: ATG Civilization - 12/21/2012 8:54:09 PM   
Bombur

quote:

ORIGINAL: ironduke1955

Give a guy some hope here please. Or give the CIV guys a kick up the pants.

I´m not saying it is impossible, it just will need a ton of events. My own mod allows you to play 60 years of military tech development in a random map, however, civilian economy is completely missed.
And forget the AI......it will never be able to deal with the increased complexity of such a game....

Post #: 7
RE: ATG Civilization - 12/22/2012 3:07:24 PM   
Josh

Well I think Duke is right in that trampling your opponent into the dust can be fun, detroying his infrastructure and oil wells and what not, CtP did a great job at that... but honestly I don't see ATG developing that way anytime soon.
On the other hand if I recall correctly Vic said he was working on a complete new game... so who knows. Sure the AI can be slow and dim, but some things can be hard coded to help it a bit. Me I always play against the AI, except for multiplayer shooters... they are great fun online.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> ATG Civilization Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI