Thanks. The plan - for what it's worth (maybe not much, since the AI opponent does something diff each run) was:
(1) to give Regimental (yes - exceptionally - I usually only give BN level) Move orders, bypass ticked, no rest, quickest, fastest, arty direct support only checked, ordering the 751 and 753 into Hfn Sth. Hfn sth is very badly covered those first few darkness hours - nothing on the objective, I believe. Come dawn your stragglers will be seen and hit heavy by arty, there will be some chaos, retreating and routing, but the bulk of both the 751 and the 753 will get into Hfn sth. At this point, as you know, you have relatively little arty available as the axis arty ammo only arrives by 11ish. Try to rest the most rested of the 2 Regs a little, then, when everyone, or mearly everyone is in;
(2) Give one of the two (I used the 753) either an attack order for Hfn Nth (if you dare, I didn't) or another Move order, all the same parametres, except this time Attack ticked. It will start to go for Hfn Nth. It may not get in before nightfall. It probably will get in during the night though. Make sure the Move orders you are giving have completion times which go four or so hours past darkness, otherwise the units will just go into defence when their estimate runs out.
(3) Meanwhile, oop north I gave the 752 Bn plus the 326 Fusiliers and - separately - the 752 Reg - a detailed Move order, with waypoints taking it along the extreme top edge of the map, through Konzen, deep into the forests behind Mutzenich. When it all arrives (usually some time before nightfall day 1) give it a rest in situ order and let it gather strength safely hidden in the woods. Because I'd seen an 'engineer' unit up near the woods (from many plays of this scenario I know, in fact, that it's one of the 2 Allied deadly arty groups that make your life so hard, even though intel says it's an engineer) I gave 1 company of the 752, once it was in the woods, a Probe order towards that engineer unit. Once it was confirmed as an armoured arty group I hit it with a heavy barrage (and reattached the Probe unit to rest with the rest) of 3 or 4 of my heaviest arty, for at least half an hour.
(4) Come nightfall, around nine, I gave the 752 and 326 a Move order as above, attack ticked, destination Mutzenich. I separately gave the 752 reg the same order (quicker response time this way, I think). During the night they went through the woods and started, eventually, an attack on Mutzenich. This attack - retreating, starting again etc, some units routing, coming back - continued throughout Day 2, without me doing much (arty direct support was ticked so I didn't do much direct arty even), resulting eventually in a messy position by nightfall day 2.
(5) During the night of day 2 I lassooed all of the forces around Mutzenich and gave a defend order for Mutzenich. Still no rest (even ticked they all rest anyway in the very early hours). During the night of day 2 they more or less occupied Mutzenich, though with Allied forces still in position.
(6) Meanwhile, back sth, during the night of day 1, the II-751 reinforcements arrived. I gave them a Move order, as above, attack ticked, arty direct support, destination Monschau. It took them all of day 2 to get through the fighting around Hfn nth and out towards Monschau. When the Stugs arrived I ordered them there too. Throughout all of Day 2, however, I was only in intermittent possession of Hfn sth and nth.
(7) When the II-753 reinforcements arrive I order them (Move again, as before) to Monschau also. Dutring the night of Day 2 these conflicts - with a little tampering here and there from me - resolve into me having possession of Hofen sth and Hofen nth by 8.00 am Day 3, me being in Monschau and Mutzenich, but heavily engaged there and denied possession.
(8) During the 4 crucial hours left I give the units on each of the four contested objectives (Hfn sth & nth, Mon and Mut) Defend orders, arty direct support, no rest, then, on top of those orders I individually place companies in much wider positions, blocking roads in etc much more further flung than the AI places them, with Defend orders, so that when the Allies come at the objectives they meet blocks before they get inside the yellow objective ring.
(9) Then - most important - I spend all the last 4 hours controlling all the available arty myself and focusing it on clearing Mon and Mut and keeping the Hofens clear. This proved possible. Half hour barrages of All the arty available (on max aggro) cleared, one by one, Mutzenich, then Monschau, then kept the Hofens clear as Allied units approached. My arty ammo ran out at about 11.30, but by then we'd done enough.
(10) Throughout, whenever intell revealed something that might be his arty (he only has 2 units) I hit it hard with counter-barrage (or speculative counter-barrage)!
Hope that's all helpful.
Now I shall try the whole plan again, as above, and watch it fail.....
< Message edited by phoenix -- 1/5/2013 10:12:36 PM >