Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hofen Ho Down rout

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Hofen Ho Down rout Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hofen Ho Down rout - 1/5/2013 1:05:34 PM   
altipueri

@Arjuna. This game has got me - I have had that one more replay effect which doesn't often happen to me with games, and the resultant loss of sleep. The trouble with your customers is that wargamers are like feckless children of feckless parents. It's always want want want, if only it was in red, blue, green or whatever. Other than giving settings sliders for all manner of things like Europa Universalis 3, or Crown of Glory, or Civilization 3 to name a few, then I fear that however you set the defaults there will be people who want it different.

Anyway, one more trudge through the woods to Hofen.....

< Message edited by altipueri -- 1/5/2013 1:26:06 PM >

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 31
RE: Hofen Ho Down rout - 1/5/2013 5:33:10 PM   
altipueri

Hooray, got a marginal victory with Monschau, Hofen North and Hofen South held.

985 killed versus 355 or thereabouts lost.

Time to stop now and get on with the rest of my life.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 32
RE: Hofen Ho Down rout - 1/5/2013 6:27:24 PM   
phoenix

I have that same persistence bug, Alti. Just had to give it one more go. Results below. :)

That's all settings normal, patch 4. Not a single attack used - all done with Move orders (attack ticked). Key was player controlled arty at key points - in particular blasting infantry in the objective zones. And player controlled defensive positioning of individual companies in order to ensure the actual defensive screen round each Objective was wider than the yellow circle, more or less. So, a bit of hands-on micromanagement, I suppose. I find if you leave the arty, in particular, to the AI then it is loathe to direct fire at units very close to one's own (I assume it can't untick the 'avoid friendlies' box) - and without doing that you can't get them out of your objectives.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by phoenix -- 1/5/2013 6:33:23 PM >

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 33
RE: Hofen Ho Down rout - 1/5/2013 6:28:50 PM   
altipueri

You've ruined my life. !

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 34
RE: Hofen Ho Down rout - 1/5/2013 6:34:37 PM   
phoenix

Sorry. But it did take me ages....

It has to be - whinges and gripes and all - a great game if it can keep me at it like this.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 1/5/2013 6:35:37 PM >

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 35
RE: Hofen Ho Down rout - 1/5/2013 6:49:42 PM   
altipueri

Well done.

Now come on you dossers and lurkers, no more posts or whinges until you show you can do at least a marginal victory like me or a decisive one like Phoenix.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 36
RE: Hofen Ho Down rout - 1/5/2013 7:00:42 PM   
HowieWowie

Nice job Phoenix you've shown a noob how the pros do it. I'm going to get back at it right now. I just hope I get some where before bed time or else I might as well stay up and keeping plugging away. Won't get much sleep otherwise!

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 37
RE: Hofen Ho Down rout - 1/5/2013 9:32:49 PM   
phoenix

Thanks. The plan - for what it's worth (maybe not much, since the AI opponent does something diff each run) was:
(1) to give Regimental (yes - exceptionally - I usually only give BN level) Move orders, bypass ticked, no rest, quickest, fastest, arty direct support only checked, ordering the 751 and 753 into Hfn Sth. Hfn sth is very badly covered those first few darkness hours - nothing on the objective, I believe. Come dawn your stragglers will be seen and hit heavy by arty, there will be some chaos, retreating and routing, but the bulk of both the 751 and the 753 will get into Hfn sth. At this point, as you know, you have relatively little arty available as the axis arty ammo only arrives by 11ish. Try to rest the most rested of the 2 Regs a little, then, when everyone, or mearly everyone is in;
(2) Give one of the two (I used the 753) either an attack order for Hfn Nth (if you dare, I didn't) or another Move order, all the same parametres, except this time Attack ticked. It will start to go for Hfn Nth. It may not get in before nightfall. It probably will get in during the night though. Make sure the Move orders you are giving have completion times which go four or so hours past darkness, otherwise the units will just go into defence when their estimate runs out.
(3) Meanwhile, oop north I gave the 752 Bn plus the 326 Fusiliers and - separately - the 752 Reg - a detailed Move order, with waypoints taking it along the extreme top edge of the map, through Konzen, deep into the forests behind Mutzenich. When it all arrives (usually some time before nightfall day 1) give it a rest in situ order and let it gather strength safely hidden in the woods. Because I'd seen an 'engineer' unit up near the woods (from many plays of this scenario I know, in fact, that it's one of the 2 Allied deadly arty groups that make your life so hard, even though intel says it's an engineer) I gave 1 company of the 752, once it was in the woods, a Probe order towards that engineer unit. Once it was confirmed as an armoured arty group I hit it with a heavy barrage (and reattached the Probe unit to rest with the rest) of 3 or 4 of my heaviest arty, for at least half an hour.
(4) Come nightfall, around nine, I gave the 752 and 326 a Move order as above, attack ticked, destination Mutzenich. I separately gave the 752 reg the same order (quicker response time this way, I think). During the night they went through the woods and started, eventually, an attack on Mutzenich. This attack - retreating, starting again etc, some units routing, coming back - continued throughout Day 2, without me doing much (arty direct support was ticked so I didn't do much direct arty even), resulting eventually in a messy position by nightfall day 2.
(5) During the night of day 2 I lassooed all of the forces around Mutzenich and gave a defend order for Mutzenich. Still no rest (even ticked they all rest anyway in the very early hours). During the night of day 2 they more or less occupied Mutzenich, though with Allied forces still in position.
(6) Meanwhile, back sth, during the night of day 1, the II-751 reinforcements arrived. I gave them a Move order, as above, attack ticked, arty direct support, destination Monschau. It took them all of day 2 to get through the fighting around Hfn nth and out towards Monschau. When the Stugs arrived I ordered them there too. Throughout all of Day 2, however, I was only in intermittent possession of Hfn sth and nth.
(7) When the II-753 reinforcements arrive I order them (Move again, as before) to Monschau also. Dutring the night of Day 2 these conflicts - with a little tampering here and there from me - resolve into me having possession of Hofen sth and Hofen nth by 8.00 am Day 3, me being in Monschau and Mutzenich, but heavily engaged there and denied possession.
(8) During the 4 crucial hours left I give the units on each of the four contested objectives (Hfn sth & nth, Mon and Mut) Defend orders, arty direct support, no rest, then, on top of those orders I individually place companies in much wider positions, blocking roads in etc much more further flung than the AI places them, with Defend orders, so that when the Allies come at the objectives they meet blocks before they get inside the yellow objective ring.
(9) Then - most important - I spend all the last 4 hours controlling all the available arty myself and focusing it on clearing Mon and Mut and keeping the Hofens clear. This proved possible. Half hour barrages of All the arty available (on max aggro) cleared, one by one, Mutzenich, then Monschau, then kept the Hofens clear as Allied units approached. My arty ammo ran out at about 11.30, but by then we'd done enough.
(10) Throughout, whenever intell revealed something that might be his arty (he only has 2 units) I hit it hard with counter-barrage (or speculative counter-barrage)!

Hope that's all helpful.

Now I shall try the whole plan again, as above, and watch it fail.....

< Message edited by phoenix -- 1/5/2013 10:12:36 PM >

(in reply to HowieWowie)
Post #: 38
RE: Hofen Ho Down rout - 1/6/2013 11:11:40 PM   
pekische

Phoenix thx! I tried it. I played first day according your recipe and than according me. I achieved marginal win, but if i had one extre hour i could capture Mutzenich too and achieve decision win. I think this is my best result in this mission - very good ratio of friendly vs. enemy killed. The most important thing is carefully work with own arty and bombarding enemy arty, I think.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pekische -- 1/6/2013 11:27:16 PM >

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 39
RE: Hofen Ho Down rout - 1/7/2013 9:28:23 AM   
phoenix

Good job, Pek. Nice to win, isn't it? A stiff 45 min bombardment of those units within the Mutzenich objective ring would probably have cleared them, so I'm sure you're right about the extra hour.

(in reply to pekische)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Hofen Ho Down rout Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI