For new players that find the game somewhat overwhelming

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Since the game is now on sale;
Although they are no longer in the AAR list, here are two of my AARs that explain some of the aspects of the game (and nowadays probably does so better than me, as I have forgotten a bunch of stuff since I have not played in some time [:D]

Economy

1st game, how, what and why

Hope this is of some help, if not ask in the forum, if noone replies, send me a pm and I will see what I can remember [:)]

Good luck on the battlefield to all!

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
CarnageINC

RE: For new players that find the game somewhat overwhelming

Post by CarnageINC »

Thanks for the links sir! [&o]
Nimrod 9th

Post by Nimrod 9th »

I still play this game now and then. It isn't collecting dust on the shelf. I enjoy playing as the Union. I like the basic game system or design. Sure wish they would update the AI. Even though the game (and map) could use a number of small improvements (you can't make everyone happy) I like the basic game engine/design. But I do get very frustrated with the AI. A couple minor changes to the Southern AI would make a huge difference (less focus on Richmond, not as aggressive in the West). Oh well, I'm just repeating what I've read in many other posts. But figured no harm in mentioning them again. Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season.
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

For what it is worth, I found that editing the AcwConstants.txt file in the Data folder helped defuse the focus on Richmond (sometimes called "turtling") by the Confederate AI.

Save the original somewhere safe then with any text editor. Find the line:

AI_OutOfTheaterMultiplierOnValuex100 15

and change it to:

AI_OutOfTheaterMultiplierOnValuex80 12

Save and go play.

I settled on this value after some trial and error and it seems to help a lot and make for more of a challenge when playing the Union. However, no warranty's, guarantees or promises are offered.

Forge of Freedom is a gem and it still sees a fair bit of use.

Good Luck.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Since the game is now on sale;
Although they are no longer in the AAR list, here are two of my AARs that explain some of the aspects of the game (and nowadays probably does so better than me, as I have forgotten a bunch of stuff since I have not played in some time [:D]

Economy

1st game, how, what and why

Hope this is of some help, if not ask in the forum, if noone replies, send me a pm and I will see what I can remember [:)]

Good luck on the battlefield to all!

Terje

Nothing gets removed from the forum, so if you're not seeing old AAR's switch the option from viewing just 365 days' worth (or whatever it's at) to "All Topics" and you'll see, well, all topics.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Nimrod 9th

Post by Nimrod 9th »

Thanks Random for the idea. Unfortunately, I'm computer stupid. It's a challenge doing simple things like posting to this forum. If it's such an easy fix and so many people comment about it in the forums, I don't understand why an official patch isn't done. Sounds like it would take all of 15 minutes or less for people that know what they're doing.

Playing as the Union I'm usually entertained until summer '63. By that point Southern forces in the West are reduced down to almost nothing by battle and by reinforcing Richmond (Richmond is so heavily defended I don't even bother trying to take it). I can tell I've got the game won. I stop and start another game.

Dispite my complaining I'm still having fun with the game.
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

ORIGINAL: Nimrod 9th

Thanks Random for the idea. Unfortunately, I'm computer stupid. It's a challenge doing simple things like posting to this forum. If it's such an easy fix and so many people comment about it in the forums, I don't understand why an official patch isn't done. Sounds like it would take all of 15 minutes or less for people that know what they're doing.

Playing as the Union I'm usually entertained until summer '63. By that point Southern forces in the West are reduced down to almost nothing by battle and by reinforcing Richmond (Richmond is so heavily defended I don't even bother trying to take it). I can tell I've got the game won. I stop and start another game.

Dispite my complaining I'm still having fun with the game.
There are lots of game parameters that can be tweaked by the user and everybody who mods their games started modding somewhere.

Respectively disagree that it is something that should be patched since virtually all AI's are all pretty stupid concentrating around Richmond is not necessarily always the wrong thing to do. No doubt such a patch would bring complaints from other quarters that the AI does not give Richmond the forces needed. The Developers gave us the Civil War as they saw it within the confines and compromises required by the engine and did a pretty good job overall, I think.

It's nice that FoF can be modded at all, many games do not allow this to the extent that the FoF/CoG-EE systems do. Sorry this fix doesn't work for you.

Good Luck!
DEB

Post by DEB »

ORIGINAL: Nimrod 9th

If it's such an easy fix and so many people comment about it in the forums, I don't understand why an official patch isn't done. Sounds like it would take all of 15 minutes or less for people that know what they're doing.

Offical patches usually contain loads of similar "fixes" ( although this is really a mod ). They need to wait until a reasonable amount have accumulated and/or an important few need to be done. Most players are competent enough to make this kind of fix ( or mod ) themselves though. See if you can find a friend / relative / work colleague who can assist you. No Game experience required, just ability to trace a file and use Notepad.
ORIGINAL: Randomizer

There are lots of game parameters that can be tweaked by the user and everybody who mods their games started modding somewhere.

So true, and this type of mod is the easiest somewhere to start ( unless you have a competent scenario editor that is ).

Respectively disagree that it is something that should be patched since virtually all AI's are all pretty stupid concentrating around Richmond is not necessarily always the wrong thing to do. No doubt such a patch would bring complaints from other quarters that the AI does not give Richmond the forces needed. The Developers gave us the Civil War as they saw it within the confines and compromises required by the engine and did a pretty good job overall, I think.

Oh so true on all counts. This item really is a user type tweak ( mod ) for those who feel it's required. Once I'm "up and running" with this game, I may well do this one myself, should I reach the same conclusions re Richmonds "defence allocation".

It's nice that FoF can be modded at all, many games do not allow this to the extent that the FoF/CoG-EE systems do.

So true. There's little worse than finding something you feel needs changing / correcting only to find you can't do it ( always presuming you can understand what you are reading of course ).
Stvitus2002

Post by Stvitus2002 »

New player here,
just learning the ropes. I have already found out that any
brigade with Improvised weapons is just that. As a weak link,they should not
be anywhere near the front lines. Also, in detailed combat,there should
have been some mechanism for defensive fire during the opponents move.
Can't see how an enemy brigade can march right between two of my own
units without any chance to respond. Something like SPWAW's defensive fire
might have been a good idea.

WO 0/0
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Warrant officer 0/0

New player here,
just learning the ropes. I have already found out that any
brigade with Improvised weapons is just that. As a weak link,they should not
be anywhere near the front lines.

WO 0/0

Actually their close fighting skills are not TOO bad, so they can be used if you place them below a ridge and place long range units on the ridge. But I agree, you should get rid of those ASAP :)

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”