Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Overwhelmed: Read the manual like I was doing a paper for college but...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Overwhelmed: Read the manual like I was doing a paper for college but... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Overwhelmed: Read the manual like I was doing a paper f... - 12/18/2012 4:58:08 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Hello everyone. I read the manual back and forth, upside down and downside up. I studied, made notes.

Keep in mind i'm an idiot.

Anyway, I need your help. What the hell do I do for my first few turns?

In the future, I beg the developers, include a tutorial please. Please please it makes things so much more easier for idiots like me.

But yes, my first few turns, what do I do to not die instantly.

Please help
Post #: 1
RE: Overwhelmed: Read the manual like I was doing a pap... - 12/18/2012 5:05:26 PM   
Myrddraal

Hi,

My first question: are you playing Handicapped AI? If you are, I'm sorry to report that it is bugged, and will actually be harder than balanced. This is fixed in the patch (which is currently in public beta).

Otherwise, there are tactical experts on these forums who can definitely help you out. What sort of thing have you been trying, and how does the AI beat you? So for example: in this game (as in WWI) it's often the best tactic if you're under pressure to sit tight, dig trenches and avoid attacking. If you're attacking every turn against the odds, then you'll get beaten very quickly. Let us know what you've tried and we might be able to give you more focussed advice.

(in reply to heyhellowhatsnew)
Post #: 2
RE: Overwhelmed: Read the manual like I was doing a pap... - 12/18/2012 5:48:17 PM   
J P Falcon

I always believed that one of the ways to help pc wargamers is to set up a "turn order" summary similiar to board games. What this would entail is an order of thought process with specific rules reference numbers next to each decision point. So at a glance, a player could see how to employ all of the specific components of a turn and their suggested order of execution. The overwhelming aspect is that a player might tend to forget some of the things they should check during a turn as it is not simply a game of move-attack-end turn...

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 3
RE: Overwhelmed: Read the manual like I was doing a pap... - 12/18/2012 6:34:20 PM   
Keke

One thing you can do is to play the first couple of turns over and over again. That's what I did!

That said, the game is perhaps the easiest in the genre to get into -- at least, if one has any experience with Panzer General -type of games.

Jyri

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to J P Falcon)
Post #: 4
RE: Overwhelmed: Read the manual like I was doing a pap... - 12/18/2012 7:58:37 PM   
Mike Parker

You really think this is like Panzer General? I don't see it!

I loved PG

I love this game (even with the AI whippin my buttocks all over central Europe)

But they seem pretty amazingly different to me!

(in reply to Keke)
Post #: 5
RE: Overwhelmed: Read the manual like I was doing a pap... - 12/18/2012 8:57:59 PM   
ParaB

Just play a couple of games for a few turns. You'll quickly learn what works and what doesn't. The rules and features are fairly simple (compared to heavyweights like War in the Pacific or War in the East), although the gameplay gets surprisingly deep once you've become more familiar with it.

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Commander - The Great War >> Overwhelmed: Read the manual like I was doing a paper for college but... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI