Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bird War Two, Emu Against The Chicken (No poultry Allowed).

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bird War Two, Emu Against The Chicken (No poultry Allowed). Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bird War Two, Emu Against The Chicken (No poultry A... - 12/30/2012 9:34:31 PM   
BBfanboy

Sprior is in cahoots with Cap Mandrake in the "Bring Me the Head of the Mayor of Diego Garcia ...etc." AAR. Very entertaining but you would need to search to find the lucky action he mentions. The two Admirals made a lot of that luck with uncanny estimates of what they could get away with in dicey circumstances.

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 31
RE: Bird War Two, Emu Against The Chicken (No poultry A... - 12/30/2012 10:07:41 PM   
DivePac88

Thanks BB, on my way there now.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 32
RE: Bird War Two, Emu Against The Chicken (No poultry A... - 1/1/2013 12:39:24 AM   
DivePac88

Just an update on this game, Andre is back from his Christmas break, and beginning to work-up the turn, so I should have turn 1 in here in a few days. We Skype'd this morning just to iron the spirit/HRs of the game out, and made two changes to the OOB data base.

The changes are; that I get 15 B25B's a month from the start, till the C model comes in the 8/42. The other was a OOB mistake I spotted with the Japanese 21st KuT-1/21st Kut-1 Det, which starts at Osaka. It had an error in that the 22nd KuT-1 Det which arrives in 1942, was attached to the 21st KuT-1 and would have caused problem with replacement airframes/pilots.

Cheers Des.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 33
RE: Bird War Two, Emu Against The Chicken (No poultry A... - 1/1/2013 11:46:41 AM   
sprior

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2341315&mpage=10&key=

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2341315&mpage=20&key=

The other 337 pages is mostly drivel.

Bear in mind that your fowl opponent is a regulat contributor and has seen this all.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 34
New Flash Manila, Chickens Attack and Emus Take Losses. - 1/12/2013 3:10:04 AM   
DivePac88

CB kindly sent me the combat replay while he works-up the 2nd turn, and Iíve run it so Iíve now also got the combat-report. It is a bit of a surprise as he has opened with KB raiding Manila, while Iíve seen it in other games, but never used it myself. But the end result this time is that most of the shipping in Manila is on the bottom, or at the least heavily damaged.

So I have to figure now that most of my USN Pacific Subrons are devastated, and revise some of my strategies. Whereas the USN subs weren't very effective hunters early in the war, because of their faulty torpedoes. They do provide some excellent intelligence on enemy shipping/convoy movements early in the war, particularly his CVís and BBís.

Also Iíve been able to pin-down his flightdeck distribution from the combat-report, which Iíll think about for a few days to workout his possible strategies.

So they are;
5 x CV (KB?) in South China Sea west of Manila, with a strike package of 88 x A6M2, 90 x B5N2, 101 x D3A1.
1x CV (Kaga?) in Philippine Sea east of Manila, with a strike package of 18 x A6M2, 27 x B5N2, 27 x D3A1.
1x CVL ( Ryujo) in Philippine Sea east of Mindanao, with a strike package of 24 x B5N2.
1x CVE ( Taiyo) in Philippine Sea southeast of Mindanao, with a strike package of 9 x B5N2.

CB also hit the Port of Manila with IJNAF LBA from Formosa, and apart from a naval bombardment at Iba, has hit none of the Luzon airfields. So my air power on Luzon is still mainly intact, but not for long I suspect. But my intern plan is for the Luzon fighter force to fight and die here, taking as many sons of Nippon with them as possible. While my B-17 force will launch a few spoiling raids on ports, then leave for similar targets from the DEI, and my PBY force will come strait away.

Well that's about it till I get the turn and put out a full report on the damage, to view the combat-report just click on the attachment.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 35
New Flash Manila, Chickens Attack and Emus Take Losses. - 1/12/2013 3:19:13 AM   
DivePac88

Here is a Screenshot of the situation off Luzon, and what a think is the positions of his Carriers-

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 36
RE: New Flash Manila, Chickens Attack and Emus Take Los... - 1/12/2013 4:47:17 AM   
BBfanboy

Your assessment of carrier distribution seems very accurate to me.
I wonder if he is planning on landing at Iba with the intention of marching quickly to take Clark Field nearly undamaged and to prevent Bataan from being reinforced or built up? The units cut off in the north would not be a threat to him.

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 37
RE: New Flash Manila, Chickens Attack and Emus Take Los... - 1/19/2013 8:16:38 PM   
DivePac88

Yes thanks BB, I've got the working turn back now and it confirms what we thought. I also think from his distribution of flattops, I can discern some of his operational strategy. So it would appear that CB intends the main body of KB to operate further west into the South China Sea (and maybe even the Java Sea), while Kaga and probably the other CVL's will initially operate in the Pacific. With maybe the Kaga force, and/or the CVE's putting in an appearance to cover his jump onto Ambon in the Southern DEI.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 38
RE: New Flash Manila, Chickens Attack and Emus Take Los... - 1/19/2013 9:03:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

Here is a Screenshot of the situation off Luzon, and what a think is the positions of his Carriers-

Ah...yes. The well-known Olongapo Vise Move. Very dangerous. Good luck getting ships out of Manila (other than 30 kt combatants and subs).

The good news is your P-40's and 17's at Pearl live to fight another day. Not to mention BB's for bombardment purposes later.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/19/2013 9:04:29 PM >

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 39
RE: New Flash Manila, Chickens Attack and Emus Take Los... - 1/20/2013 4:12:14 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

With CVs on both sides searching eagerly for victims among the maze of islands, this is the time to send some of your surviving ships to the north of Luzon. I know of a couple of posters who have managed to sneak some ships out this way. There is not much to detect them in the Bonins or at Marcus at game start. If they do bump into his convoys and he send Kaga et al after them, that leaves some chance for others to try the island route to the SE.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 40
RE: New Flash Manila, Chickens Attack and Emus Take Los... - 1/21/2013 9:44:40 AM   
DivePac88

Thanks Capt and BB, I was a bit worried as I had sent all the surviving vessels from Manila south. But I've now got the second turn back, and there was only one carrier raid south of Davao, which I assume came from a CVL.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Sangi at 78,96

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 14
B5N1 Kate x 13

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AVD William B. Preston, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x B5N1 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo

So I was lucky and I am thinking that his eyes are elsewhere, and not on cleaning up my surviving shipping from Manila. KB has moved due west toward Malaya, and maybe going to support landings at Mersing or Palembang. While Kaga has disappeared of the map, and not moved south as I thought she would. So your guess is as good as mine, is CB moving her toward Truk or on to the Marshals?

I have sent the turn back now and will attempt to update the AAR tomorrow, that is if CB hasn't sent the turn back already, as he turns them over pretty quick now.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 41
Bird War Two, Emu Against The Chicken - 1/23/2013 4:23:33 AM   
DivePac88

Update to 12-9-41

The Dropbox is empty so I have the time for an update, and of course because I am the Allies now, the news is generally not good.

Just a quick word on my strategy now as an Allied player, whereas I was aggressive as a Japanese player, you will find me now a very timid Allied player. Itís not that Iím afraid of losing assets, but it is because I run on a risk-management system. I really donít mind losing ground and air assets, or even large naval platforms, but I expect a positive return from the loss.

Pearl Harbor and Vicinity.

No activity on the West-coast and NorthPac areas yet, plus I have air-seach and ASW patrols set-up and running in these areas. Meanwhile around Pearl Harbor; CB has only his midgets subs active, and he has had no hits to date from a few attacks, also Iím certain that Iíve badly damaged 2 of them. Iíve thinned out the shipping at Pearl Harbor, by sending the 4 more modern BBís, the CAís and a DD division to San Diego.

Iíve reinforced Wake with a PBY squadron for search, while a naval port detachment and about 12000 supply are on the their way. This operation is being covered by Lexington, and a task force made up around the 4 old BBís from Pearl Harbor. Iím also heavily mining Wake, and Lexington has taken off the Wildcats for now. Iím also resupplying all the other sentinel Islands around Pearl Harbor, and beefed-up all their PBY search capabilities.

But to date CB has made no moves toward Wake, that my PBYís have so far detected. Meanwhile to the south he has taken Nauru, and Ocean Islands, along with Tarawa overnight. But there is no move as yet toward Canton Island, where I now have 6 PBYís based. Enterprise will be on station by tomorrow to protect Canton, and the reinforcement operation that is on itís way toward the Island.

The amphibious convoy that is on the way to Canton Island from San Diego, contains an up to strength USMC defence battalion, a naval port detachment, and around 12000 supply. It is my intention to hold Canton, to shield my Pacific convoy routes, but to treat Wake more as an expendable road-block (shame on me).

The Philippines.

I have found the Philippines to be a challenge to my mental stability so far, and hear the constant sound of sinking and breaking-up sounds of shipping while I am sleeping at night now. With it now looking like the Houston, Boise, and 6-8 SSís being the only survivors from Hong Kong and the Philippines. As CB has now sealed-off the whole of this area with his flight decks, and has 3 SAGís containing CAís, CLís, and DDís in amongst the central Philippines Islands hunting-down the escaping shipping.

But on the bright-side I did get 10 of my B-17s to raid the port at Babeldaob yesterday in 2 waves, and they managed to sink a CM, and a PB, while damaging an AD, a AO, along with a TK. Then today my P-40Bís which I had moved from Clark to CAP over Cagayan, managed to down 11 of Kagaís Kates and 1 Zero, for the loss of 2 P-40ís when they raid shipping off the Port.

KB.

The main-body of KB is now just north of Brunei on a heading to the west, and I was unlucky overnight when the Dutch SS KXVI managed to launch 6 torpedoes at Soryu. But unfortunately all the torpedoes missed, and the Dutch sub was then promptly sunk by KBís DD screen. The next day KB launched a 2 flightdeck worth air-raid on the port at Tarakan, but luckily I had already evacuated all the shipping safely from this port, and very little damage was done.

DEI, Malaya.

The war in Malaya is just constant Jap air-raids on my ground units falling back to the South of the peninsula, and offensive Jap fighter sweeps over Singapore. I have evacuated all the shipping from Malaya and most of the DEI, to the western side of Java because of the approach of KB. I will begin to thin-out most of this shipping in the next few days, and send most onto Aussie, Cape town, and India. Iíve also pulled out most of the air-power from Malaya, only leaving the fighter and TB squadrons there dispersed, as it would have died for nothing when KB comes calling.

I have also dispersed the air-power in the DEI away from the main bases, as any air attacks on KB would be futile at this stage. So apart from subs I have nothing else to harass KB with at present, as I think CB will at least raid Palembang and Singapore, and maybe even support a landing operation on Mersing. Also I have managed to mine the straits of Malacca opposite Singapore, along with Mersing against a landing, and are also sending the other Aussie Brigade there.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 42
RE: New Flash Manila, Chickens Attack and Emus Take Los... - 1/23/2013 6:42:23 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

Ah...yes. The well-known Olongapo Vise Move. Very dangerous. Good luck getting ships out of Manila (other than 30 kt combatants and subs).

The good news is your P-40's and 17's at Pearl live to fight another day. Not to mention BB's for bombardment purposes later.

The Olongapo Vise Move... didn't that used to cost you about $15 back in the 70s?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 43
RE: New Flash Manila, Chickens Attack and Emus Take Los... - 1/23/2013 6:52:04 AM   
DivePac88

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

The Olongapo Vise Move... didn't that used to cost you about $15 back in the 70s?

No Brad... I think you are thinking about the Cap Mandrake 2000 Male Enhancement Device.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 44
Bird War Two, Emu Against The Chicken - 1/23/2013 7:58:12 PM   
DivePac88

Current situation in the Philippines -

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bird War Two, Emu Against The Chicken (No poultry Allowed). Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI