Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Eastern Front Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Eastern Front Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Eastern Front Campaign - 12/15/2012 10:59:43 PM   
hafer

Dear Vic, are there any plans to make a complete eastern front-campaign? Maybe the first operation "Barbarossa"?
Post #: 1
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/23/2012 10:57:28 PM   
WilliePete

It's been a while since I last visited the forum and it's good to see that people are still playing! Instead of opening a new topic, I'd just like to comment here. I'm very curious to know what Vic plans to do next as well. I'd love to see more of the Eastern Front as I find it more interesting than any other theatre of WW2.

I think a Barbarossa game, to pick up where Warsaw to Paris left off would be ideal! Vic, and hints on what's next?

Happy holidays, all!

- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -

(in reply to hafer)
Post #: 2
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/24/2012 3:08:09 PM   
Vic

I would like to stay a bit opaque on this subject.

However I can say a couple of things: I already started on a new project. The new project is a more entry level wargame. Also I have been buisy on making patches for DC Blue v1.01-v1.05b and recently ATG v1.12: adding random officers to that game.

However I am thinking of starting up a second project since i don't like to work on one project only and going for a new DC title with this 2nd project. Barbarossa on divisional level is something i think the current engine will do very well. Also I have been considering a 1944 game along the lines of an old AT scenario called "Endsieg" i did long time ago for the initial AT release.

Best,
Vic

Victor Reijkersz Designs
www.vrdesigns.nl

(in reply to WilliePete)
Post #: 3
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/25/2012 1:25:18 PM   
hafer

Thanx for the update Vic.

I'm begging for Barbarossa at divisional level

A little business advise:

There're a lot of wargames at entry level out there. Very polished games. It would be hard to compete.

But its different for hardcore wargames. A smaller market but fewer games. Not so competitive. I think the usp for the DC-series is the grognard-level. Here are more business opportunities for you.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 4
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/25/2012 3:50:28 PM   
PzKw43

If Vic comes out with an improved John Tiller Campaign Series game I think there will be a market, but if it's entry level he will have a lot of competition.

(in reply to hafer)
Post #: 5
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/26/2012 11:43:52 AM   
Kelblau

I crave for a good DC-style alternative to WITE.

(in reply to hafer)
Post #: 6
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/26/2012 4:05:45 PM   
colberki

Definitely buy a DC Barbarossa at divisional level.

(in reply to Kelblau)
Post #: 7
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/26/2012 6:40:29 PM   
starbuck310

I liked WITE but DC style way better. WITE seem to get in to a checker board style of play that wasnt remotely historical.

(in reply to colberki)
Post #: 8
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/27/2012 5:54:59 PM   
redmarkus4

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kelblau

+1. I will buy that.

Cyberpower tower PC
Intel Core i7-3930k CPU, 3.20GHz processor
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards, each with 4095 MB
Realtek sound card
Dell 3007WFP (running at 2560x1600) 32 bit monitor
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit O

(in reply to Kelblau)
Post #: 9
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/27/2012 5:56:36 PM   
redmarkus4

quote:

ORIGINAL: starbuck310

I liked WITE but DC style way better. WITE seem to get in to a checker board style of play that wasnt remotely historical.

+1

To be precise, it was the most annoyingly a-historical nonsense I have ever encountered in a war game.

Cyberpower tower PC
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
Realtek sound card

(in reply to starbuck310)
Post #: 10
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/27/2012 6:07:34 PM   
rominet

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

quote:

+1. I will buy that.

+ 1

WitE is too complex for me and takes me too much time.
A DC style for the entire east front of WWII would be nice.

< Message edited by rominet -- 12/27/2012 6:09:08 PM >

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 11
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/27/2012 6:08:47 PM   
wodin

Oooohhh..I wish Vic went for a lower scale like Coy or platoon. I could imagine a game at that scale by Vic to be superb and probably become one of the best wargames for the scale ever..

Shame. I rarely buy operational\Grad Strat games and I received DCCB as a present otherwise I'd never have bought it. It is a great game but I still have difficulty at this scale from immersion to knowing what I should be doing. Coy or below I understand and can get more immersed in.

Vic one day I hope you do an indepth wargame at the scales I mentioned. I actually think your the man to do a new Steel Panthers, but hey thats a lower scale again.

If Vic made a coy level game set during the battle of Stalingrad (I'm thinking a Streets of Stalingrad type game) and concentrated releasing new games in the series covering major city battles it would be very cool indeed. infact I'd be in wargame heaven.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 12
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/27/2012 7:08:34 PM   
map66

I'm not sure exactly which part of '44 the Endsieg Vic mentioned would cover, but let me put in a huge +1 for any coverage of the Eastern Front for that year. There are a large number of highly interesting battles in that time period that are vastly underrepresented in war games--- really everything except Cherkassy is mostly ignored.

I actually just finished a PBEM of the WiTE '44 scenario, and gotta say that WiTE is no where near as ready to cover that period of the war as it is for '41, but I think the DC system would be fantastic for all the political complications of the Axis allies, various kinds of stand fast orders from Hitler, and early Cold War imperatives on Soviet strategy.

An ideal game for me using the DC engine would probably cover the southern section of the front stretching from the Dnepr in the east to Budapest, and cover operations from the first crossings of the Dnepr in August '43 right through the siege of Budapest at the end of '44. I think it would be a fairly ideal scale for DC, as well as having numerous good potential smaller scenarios.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 13
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/27/2012 7:19:54 PM   
parusski

quote:

+5.25

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Kelblau)
Post #: 14
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/27/2012 8:21:13 PM   
PKH

I think a game where you controlled army group center from 41 to 45 could be interesting. Played on a limited part of the map like case blue is. The other army groups could be added as expansions.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 15
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/27/2012 9:41:20 PM   
wodin

I've also mentioned I much prefer the linked campaigns following one formation.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to PKH)
Post #: 16
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/27/2012 10:14:58 PM   
PKH

I wasn't thinking of a linked campaign, but a campaign played like the regular case blue campaigns with objectives given by the high command. I thought these campaigns were too big and slow initally, but after playing a bit I find it managable by playing a round now and then.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 17
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/28/2012 5:58:23 AM   
ceyan

-9001 on the idea of covering the most over-used front in the most over-saturated war in all of wargaming history that is already partially covered by the series in question currently. +5 for Africa Campagins, China, or small chained scenarios covering the various Pacific Islands.

(in reply to PKH)
Post #: 18
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/28/2012 9:26:41 AM   
PKH

I think it's the most covered front because it's the most interesting in terms of evolution of equipment, varied terrain, weather effects, evolution of strategy, big strategic mistakes done, quality vs quantity in terms of forces, and a long struggle where both sides could have won.

(in reply to ceyan)
Post #: 19
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/28/2012 2:51:34 PM   
redmarkus4

Not to mention the fact that Bagration was the largest military operation in the history of warfare, IIRC...

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 12/28/2012 2:52:01 PM >

Cyberpower tower PC
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
Realtek sound card

(in reply to map66)
Post #: 20
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/28/2012 3:58:33 PM   
ceyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: PKH

I think it's the most covered front because it's the most interesting in terms of evolution of equipment, varied terrain, weather effects, evolution of strategy, big strategic mistakes done, quality vs quantity in terms of forces, and a long struggle where both sides could have won.

Most of the fronts in World War One have you beat on evolution of equipment and strategy with equivalent variations in terrain and weather effects (granted it's pretty damn hard to beat the strategic and operational mistakes of the WW2 East Front, which hardly matters in a game because no game can ever model that effectively since you take over the job). The "quality vs quantity" aspect is one of the most perpetuated fallacies around in all of wargaming, especially after the first year on the Eastern Front, and has a far better concrete base in WW1 East Front than WW2.

(in reply to PKH)
Post #: 21
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 12/28/2012 5:16:31 PM   
PKH

You probably know more about the other fronts than me, so please elaborate. In any case the eastern front has a lot of interesting features from a strategic perspective.

The mistakes made do matter though, since it gives players a chance to do it better than the historicial strategies, which at least I find interesting.

(in reply to ceyan)
Post #: 22
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 1/6/2013 10:30:16 AM   
Hexagon

Well, if you plan a west title at least do it original... i think in a battalion level game covering north Africa campaign (a scen covering from 1940 to 1943 with strategic decisions and smaller scens to cover main battles like Graziani ofensive, Compass, Crusader, Gazala, El-Alamein and end in Africa for example) or move more to the Pacific... i am a little "bored" of west front 1944 titles... only one i find great could be Berlin 1945 that open and interesting extra scen with a WWIII Germany+west allies VS Soviets.

Good luck with your new project.

(in reply to PKH)
Post #: 23
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 1/7/2013 12:02:03 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

I would like to stay a bit opaque on this subject.

However I can say a couple of things: I already started on a new project. The new project is a more entry level wargame. Also I have been buisy on making patches for DC Blue v1.01-v1.05b and recently ATG v1.12: adding random officers to that game.

However I am thinking of starting up a second project since i don't like to work on one project only and going for a new DC title with this 2nd project. Barbarossa on divisional level is something i think the current engine will do very well. Also I have been considering a 1944 game along the lines of an old AT scenario called "Endsieg" i did long time ago for the initial AT release.

Best,
Vic

Can you make more scenarios for case blue pretty please

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 24
RE: Eastern Front Campaign - 1/8/2013 9:14:02 PM   
demjansk

new scenarios would be great

(in reply to heyhellowhatsnew)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Eastern Front Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI