Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix >> Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/13/2012 7:54:12 PM   
Scott Parrino

Deal brings the two together to produce a strategy game based on space exploration

We are excited to announce that we have signed an exclusive deal with Buzz Aldrin Enterprises to produce a strategy game based on space exploration. The deal was secured on a hot summer morning during the Olympic Games in London and signed only a few days ago.

The game is currently in development at Polar Motion and is planned to release in 2013. Details are still to be revealed, but the deal will allow Slitherine to draw on the expansive knowledge of Buzz Aldrin, one of the first men to set foot on the Moon. The deal secures the support of Buzz Aldrin Enterprises in the promotion and exploitation of the game but more importantly grants direct access to Buzz on critical aspects of the game design.

JD McNeil, Chairman of Slitherine, said: "We are privileged and honored to have the opportunity of working with Buzz. He is an extraordinary individual and a true hero of modern history. The game will sit perfectly in our catalogue, we work in a particular niche of the videogames market and this title will fit very well. With Buzz’s help we will be expanding our gaming experience into space exploration!”

After a long military career in the U.S. Air Force, Buzz Aldrin joined NASA in 1963 and became the second human being to set foot on the moon during the Apollo 11 landing on July 20, 1969. When asked about the deal with Slitherine and the project, Buzz Aldrin declared: "I’m very happy to be working with Slitherine on this project. Not only will it focus on the space missions I was privileged to take part in, but it will also include my Aldrin Cycler concept which incorporates my vision of how we should get to Mars."

This is another great achievement for the Slitherine Group. With an overall market landscape increasing year on year the Slitherine Group lead by JD McNeil had an annual turnover increase of 67% in its last fiscal year. Successful releases such as Battle Academy, the first full-price iPad wargame and franchises such as the Close Combat series have been major contributors to this success, and there is much more is still to be announced over the Christmas season.

Scott Parrino
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
Follow us on Twitter and on Facebook!
Post #: 1
RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/13/2012 8:49:49 PM   
Zorch

Where no game company has gone before!

or

One small step for Matrix/Slitherine, one giant leap for gamers!

(in reply to Scott Parrino)
Post #: 2
RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/13/2012 11:40:21 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Where no game company has gone before!

or

One small step for Matrix/Slitherine, one giant leap for gamers!

Well Buzz Aldrin's "Race into space" by Baris (Fritz Bonner) was a magnificent game with some foibles based on the board game "Lift Off"... It is still supported actually and once in a while I boot it up and accidentally kill a load of astronauts. Damn difficult to win.

http://www.raceintospace.org/

I'll buy the new game if it builds on this worthy project or takes space exploration games in a new direction.

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3
RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/14/2012 2:43:00 AM   
kentcol

I just crapped me pants!

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 4
RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/14/2012 8:18:25 AM   
sprior

Corkin'

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to kentcol)
Post #: 5
RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/14/2012 9:47:31 AM   
Iain McNeil

BARIS is definitely a source of inspiration for the new game. Sorry BARIS = "Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space".

It is a super cool project and having had the chance to meet Buzz twice already has been great. It is extremely exciting!

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6
RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/14/2012 10:12:46 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

BARIS is definitely a source of inspiration for the new game. Sorry BARIS = "Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space".

It is a super cool project and having had the chance to meet Buzz twice already has been great. It is extremely exciting!

Funny... for 20 YEARS I never made the connection... I'm somewhat embarrased... thanks for joining those dots as
i always thought it was the pub.

Don't let that schoolboy mistake deter you from considering me as a beta tester though...

Very glad to hear that BARIS is the foundation for this project... heady days and exciting stuff.

And I never get stars in my eyes ..but meeting Buzz would have been very cool.

Please make it worthy of his name, other test pilots ,astronauts and the space program...

Just finished watching a BBC series on this .. from the perspectives of both rocket designers...

Get your coders to do the same...

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 12/14/2012 11:44:52 AM >

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to Iain McNeil)
Post #: 7
RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/14/2012 3:35:48 PM   
wodin

Not my thing at all. However is this a sign that Slitherine Group are going to spread out and start making other types of games? Kerbal Space programme is popular though so I'm sure it will have a market..just not for me.

< Message edited by wodin -- 12/14/2012 3:36:25 PM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 8
RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/14/2012 5:20:10 PM   
Swedewolf

Love "BARIS", been playing it many years, recently early this year actually. Love to be a member of the beta team. Even Alpha Team if there is one.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/14/2012 5:42:46 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
Not my thing at all. However is this a sign that Slitherine Group are going to spread out and start making other types of games? Kerbal Space programme is popular though so I'm sure it will have a market..just not for me.

We've always made lots of different strategy games, and many of us also played and loved all the classic strategy titles including BARIS. Personally, this is something I'm very happy about for many reasons, but I don't see this as a different direction at all. It's a very exciting and important new project that fits in very well with our interests in history, strategy, science and space.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/14/2012 6:04:59 PM   
Hertston

Sounds good. I also remember BARIS with some affection. 'Lift-off' had me pondering as to it's date of publication (1989?) as I seemed to recall playing it as a child - which would make it more like 1969. Turns out I was thinking of, and played this ...

... little plastic Gemini capsules and all. Very good game as I recall.

P.S. This one is crying out for a launch-time competition of some sort, with a few copies signed by Buzz as prizes?!

< Message edited by Hertston -- 12/14/2012 6:09:25 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/14/2012 6:38:52 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

We've always made lots of different strategy games, and many of us also played and loved all the classic strategy titles including BARIS. Personally, this is something I'm very happy about for many reasons, but I don't see this as a different direction at all. It's a very exciting and important new project that fits in very well with our interests in history, strategy, science and space.

Regards,

- Erik

I thought this was some sort of sim game rather than strategy you see..my mistake. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it will be popular..however if there is a Space game I'd like to see redone and sold by Slitheirne Group it's something along the lines of Alpha Centuri

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 12
RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/15/2012 3:47:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

Wodin,

quote:

I thought this was some sort of sim game rather than strategy you see..my mistake. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it will be popular..however if there is a Space game I'd like to see redone and sold by Slitheirne Group it's something along the lines of Alpha Centuri

Did you actually miss the Pandora announcement?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 13
RE: Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! - 12/28/2012 12:13:50 PM   
Hertston

Completely gratuitous strange but true fact. Buzz Aldrin's mother's maiden name was 'Moon'.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix >> Slitherine and Buzz Aldrin Aim for the Stars! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI