Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/11/2012 3:29:58 PM   
Andrew Loveridge

Hello All,

We have a new version of Advanced Tactics Gold to try. It is available in the Members Club, as a Public Beta. It introduces a new module with Leaders, as well as including some bug fixes and other changes.
Please check it over and let us know what you think of it.

V2.12 – December 7, 2012

Additions:

• A huge, although still experimental, new feature: Random commanders and an officer pool have been added. They have been added in a separate new random game module called "New Dawn".

• Each people has its own naming lists and portraits, so the Germanic, Anglo-Saxon, French, Russian, Arab, Japanese and Chinese people all have their own unique looking officers.
      • Commanders can gain levels with experience. Levels bring higher combat and morale bonuses and can also bring the commander action cards and feats.
      • Feats provide free bonuses now and then; cards provide bigger bonuses at a time of your choosing and special actions, but come with some danger when played. It’s possible for a commander to be killed or wounded playing them.
      • Since there is no art budget for adding truly new features to a game over 2 years old I would really like to thank graphic artist and volunteer extraordinaire Mike Gaffney. The commanders would never have looked as great as they do without the great artwork he provided. I cannot stress enough how much volunteer work like this is appreciated.
      • Keep in mind that the officers will need some fine-tuning based on player feedback and that this is a beta patch.

• 3 Extra options added to the random game setup menu: no farmlands, no suburban areas and higher production cost.

Changes:

• Random games now always have each player get equal number of start cities.
    • Strategic map looks nicer on really large maps now.

Bug Fixes:

• Navy production ends up with ally bug fixed.
    • Loaded on transport HQ link crash.
    • Ships can never be strategically transported, not even at insane costs.
    • New production now starts with base morale of the regime.

< Message edited by Andrew Loveridge -- 1/8/2013 4:45:37 PM >

Andrew Loveridge

Production Assistant

Post #: 1
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/12/2012 12:43:22 AM   
Webizen

Thanks Matrix Games, Vic, and Mike Gaffney for their continued support of this extraordinary game! I've updated my NATO Counters Mod to support v2.12.

Tac2i

(in reply to Andrew Loveridge)
Post #: 2
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/12/2012 2:10:37 AM   
Meanfcker

Hi Vic, the officers thingy looks pretty cool, and Webizen, Ironduke, Kombrig and I are about to give it a proper test drive.
I just a couple of quick questions.
If I have a combat HQ that is slugging it out and gaining experience, does that experience travel up the chain of command?
If so does a more experienced HQ increase army effectiveness as a whole?
Does a more experienced Supreme HQ have any bonuses for readying troops and increasing experience quicker ?
What does MX Stf 25 mean?
Any insights would be well received I am sure.
Meanie

< Message edited by Meanfcker -- 12/12/2012 2:50:28 AM >

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 3
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/12/2012 3:06:14 AM   
Webizen

Re: Higher Production Cost random game option - I briefly looked at this. 1) it didn't seem to affect the production cost of units and 2) it appeared to significantly reduce the amount of supply a city can produce (capital: 2222 vice 6667). Is this working as intended?

Correction: I was looking at research cost not production. This game option is working as designed.

< Message edited by Webizen -- 12/12/2012 12:36:24 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to Meanfcker)
Post #: 4
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/12/2012 8:05:27 AM   
Vic

@meanfck,

Yes this really needs a TESTdrive. With the emphasis on test and with some luck some nice driving as well. I only played my self and the AI so far.

At the moment the officers have a strict relation with the troops (gaining them extra xp,rdn, combatm mods) and not with eachother. However I could make some additions here in the future. Everybody feel free to make some suggestions for cards or feats.

Maybe I should also take the time to write some errata once things are stable :)

Whats important to know however is that staff combat mod improves the combat mod of the staff with that percentage. Mx staff is the maximum number of staff individuals the officer can effectively control.

Looking forward to your feedback!

@Roy,

Just checked it but it seems to work as intended. For example rifle costs me 300 instead of 100 with the option turned on. I put this option in to allow for some lower troop densities in some games.

Best,
Vic

< Message edited by Vic -- 12/12/2012 8:06:34 AM >

Victor Reijkersz Designs
www.vrdesigns.nl

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 5
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/12/2012 11:13:22 AM   
Meanfcker

Thank you Vic for taking the time to reply.
If I have an MX STF value of say 27, and my staff requirements for a particular HQ needs to be 150 staff. What then?
I frequently use large staffs so that I may deliver several concentric attacks at one point under one HQ on each turn. How is this going to work when I will routinely exeed the MX STF value. Does the officer lose bonuses if I go over? This would encourage smaller HQ's and less concentrics, which in turn means smaller hits, which in turn means slower game. I noticed that as the officer gains experience the MX STF number increases but I am not sure if the number is starting out high enough. If it is limiting in that sense, could we have the number increased to a start level of 50 or 75?
Other than a little bit of disorientation which is to be expected with something new, I am enjoying poking around with it.
I personally feel that under a bold and resolute commander the action cards could be devestating, especially if one has the dicipline to save them for the decisive moment. This is something I am really looking forward to finding out. :-)
Meanie.
P.S. I apologize for causing ill will with rich12545, I was only trying to be humorous, and I was not trying to start trouble.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 6
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/12/2012 12:33:44 PM   
Webizen

Ah, my bad. I was looking at research cost. You are correct. The production values are as you stated and I suppose the supply produced by cities was reduced to work with the lower numbers of units. This should make for an interesting twist in game play.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

@Roy,

Just checked it but it seems to work as intended. For example rifle costs me 300 instead of 100 with the option turned on. I put this option in to allow for some lower troop densities in some games.

Best,
Vic

< Message edited by Webizen -- 12/12/2012 12:34:21 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 7
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/12/2012 10:31:51 PM   
Madlok

"Random games now always have each player get equal number of start cities."

Mój blog o strategiach po polsku (not English) https://strategiusz.wordpress.com

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 8
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/13/2012 1:28:19 AM   
**budd**

thx for the continued support. Any chance for mouse wheel zoom and a button like in the DC games to move the UI out of the way to see more of the map. I had to ask because when i switch to ATG from DC i really missed those particular features.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Madlok)
Post #: 9
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/13/2012 1:39:37 AM   
Webizen

Woot! My first officer level gain plus a card! Got another level gain the following turn. By the way, playing with the High Production Cost option sure requires some thought as there aren't as many units available and you must be careful not to waste your precious troops through misguided attacks. Fun!

Update: Finished this test drive game vs the AI. This particular officer finished the game at level 11. At one point in the game he got killed by a sniper when playing a card that took him to the frontline to inspire his troops. Did a time warp (used autosave) to bring him back to life so I could finish my test drive with him in the game.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Webizen -- 12/14/2012 2:43:03 AM >

Tac2i

Post #: 10
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/13/2012 10:36:13 AM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**

thx for the continued support. Any chance for mouse wheel zoom and a button like in the DC games to move the UI out of the way to see more of the map. I had to ask because when i switch to ATG from DC i really missed those particular features.

I am going to write up a weblog post soon on my plans, but basically I am aiming to add more stuff the coming year(s).

best,
Vic

Victor Reijkersz Designs
www.vrdesigns.nl

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 11
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/13/2012 11:12:22 AM   
Meanfcker

Hi Vic, I have been poking around under the hood a bit and here is what i have noticed.
The officers are exciting and fun, but that may just be the novelty of it.
I have an officer that was wounded directing a bombardment, let him recover, brought him back, and he now has "bombard and blitz" in hand and is ready to
go out and make a serious contribution to bringing peace to his country.
My concerns are the cost. It is prohibitive to growth and will therefore tend to slow the game down too much.
A HQ used to cost 5pps. Now the first one is 10pps, the next is 11pps and so on. They start out twice as expensive as before and it turns out thay we need more of them to operate efficiently. So now we need more HQ's and they are fantastically expensive. Whether intentionally or unintentionally the effect will be slow the game right down and to remove the ability to accumulate an early game strategic reserve.
Many pps that would normally go toward factories and resource upgrades will now be spent on organization, that means less army, less hitting and therefore less movement. Put another way, now the game will become slower and more predictable and will tend toward the static line warfare that everyone was engaged in two years ago.
That all being said, I like the idea. I personally think that HQs should still be 5pps and come out normal and let the player have the option of paying 10pps and up for and officer in a combat HQ where he is needed and leaving a backwater HQ with just staff, the way it is now.
Really, the cost is the biggest drawback.
Making it an optional purchase will probably make for the smoothest transition of game play as well. As it stands now there is a lot or relearning to do.
If officers were an optional upgrade, the expense would be born without grudge at the decisive point.
These are just few quick thoughts after lasts nights test drive.
Meanfcker.

< Message edited by Meanfcker -- 12/13/2012 11:20:12 PM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 12
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/13/2012 3:32:39 PM   
Josh

Wow... all I can say is I'm impressed once more by this team    To Vic, Mike and all involved a big thank you!

Quite involved in a different game right now but I can't wait to have another go at it.

(in reply to Meanfcker)
Post #: 13
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/28/2012 7:02:27 AM   
lion_of_judah

I'm still using the beta version of 2.11. question is this, do i need to install the official 2.11 version before installing 2.12 or can i just install 2.12....

Post #: 14
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 12/28/2012 2:56:48 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

I'm still using the beta version of 2.11. question is this, do i need to install the official 2.11 version before installing 2.12 or can i just install 2.12....

I think it's safe to say that the latest patches are always "all inclusive". So no difficult upgrade path, just plonk the latest patch in your game folder and you're ready to go.

(in reply to lion_of_judah)
Post #: 15
RE: AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available - 1/4/2013 3:22:08 PM   
Josh

Declaration of war; so far the AI either declares war at you pretty early... or never at all. So maybe give it a percentage, say AI has a 5% chance of DOW you, or more or less. Maybe even give the player a chance to influence this percentage.. maybe via investing PP's. 100 PP's to raise or lower this percentage with 5% or 10%. Maybe create the possibility to create Allied AI's... I mean not in the setup, but during the game.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> AT Gold v2.12 Public Beta Available Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI