Patch News - I work to deadlines

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

harley

Patch News - I work to deadlines

Post by harley »

Hi, all...

Firstly, let me thank all of you for your patience over the past 3 years. Both Ron and myself have had significant real life issues to overcome, meaning our passion for this game took a back seat for some time.

As for the patch status, I have done a lot of the work we have talked about, and the current beta has had a lot of testing by a couple of our PBEM testers, so both sides have been thoroughly worked over. You've seen screenshots for some of the changes, but here's the list for you to contemplate:

[font="Courier New"]I've put in the new data bits for the "days since last mission" (DSLM).

in the "Assign Patrol" & Assign Intercepts screens I have:
added fatigue and "last" columns for days since last mission
fixed the scroll to always go to the top of the list
set the numeric types to ascending (good for fatigue, DSLM, delay - bad for xp, ready, morale)
added a sort button for the units to sort by unit ID (so all the JG 1's appear together).

in "Unit List" I have:
added DSLM
set the numeric types to ascending (good for fatigue, range, DLSM, - bad for xp, ready, morale)
added a sort button for the units to sort by unit ID (so all the JG 1's appear together).

In the "add lead units" list I have:
added DSLM, Fat, combined base and command.
added filters for FB, Med, Buff and moved the "fighter attack" button.
set the scroll to go to the top when sorting
set default ascend/descend for the numerics

In the "add units" list I have:
added DSLM, Fat and command, with command combined with base
set the scroll to go to the top when sorting
set default ascend/descend for the numerics

On the Unit Page I have:
Added DSLM
added missions (whenever any plane or group of planes takes off it adds one to the missions)
added sorties (adds one per plane TO)
fixed some misaligned text
renamed "real range" to "ferry range" It just sounded better.
added toggle for auto-upgrades per unit.

On the "List Air Units" page I have:
added filters by role
added "show enemy" button
added show total units, losses, replacements for player
added show losses for enemy <without any replacement or pool details>
added "upgrade type"
added research %

On the "Set Bomber Doctrine" page I have:
added toggle for global auto upgrade (WIP - my final task for this release is to expand this to both sides)

rebuilt the prod pages from the ground up. Yeah, baby.
Added priorities for AC prod

Others:

fixed the unloadable save issue
fixed a minor error in the loading of buttons
found a bug in the AI prod routine that may have caused too many new AC to be built when the old type was needed
reduced priority of multi-engine aircraft production
changed the unit upgrade message to show the old AC type as well
added minimum CH chances for increased damage CH and one-shot-kill CH. Makes a difference for the low-effect weapons mainly
added a bucket load of XP increments
added code to limit units to one strafe attack per mission
rebuilt the research code. Now AC are given a fixed at-start value required to research, with the daily counter decremented to keep them on path
limited research to 10/day per AC type
added automatic allied research to counter player research
[/font]

so...

I have spoken to Matrix about a release timeframe, and I may not be able to get it packaged and released before the Christmas shutdown. With that in mind, I'm setting myself a deadline to release of January 31, 2013. I'd like to get it done earlier than that, but I'm not making promises. It's a deadline, and I do work to them quite well. ;)

So again, thanks for your patience, I hope you find it worthwhile.

harley...

gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy
john_txic

RE: Patch News - I work to deadlines

Post by john_txic »

This is an excellent Xmas/New Year pressie - thanks!
The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind.
cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

ORIGINAL: john_txic

This is an excellent Xmas/New Year pressie - thanks!

+1 [&o]

A little question: what it means DLSM?
thanks.
nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

I think it's a typo and he meant DSLM which is Days Since Last Mission
harley

Post by harley »

mikkey

Post by mikkey »

Excellent news. Thanks for update, harley.
Gunnerchimp

Post by Gunnerchimp »

Nice one Harley; so good to see the game moving forward at last. Really appreciate your efforts in bringing the patch to fruition.

Knife? That's not a knife. THIS is a knife!

littleike

Post by littleike »

Many thanks for this patch.

I bought this game a few days ago thinking to buy a dead thing
but still attracted from this ww2 air war simulation.
Knowing Gary Grisby standards ,(i own witp and WitpAE), i said to myself
that if the game was obsoleted the data base was probably not, so at least
i would have bought a planes, squadrons, theaters reference for the whole WW2 air war
over Europe.

Now i am very glad to see that this game still lives and is supported with patches and mods.

And this take me to make another request!!

Please add the screen resolution support so i could use EDTBTR on my 1440x900 screen.

WitpAE was updated to support different screen resolutions and i think that if this have been done for it this could be done also for EDTBTR due to the same original developing interface. (Ask to michaelm in the witpAe forum support to know how this could be achieved)

I own both games on my pc and it would be wonderful to see no differences switching from a game to another.

Anyway thanks again for your support, good work and my best greetings for a merry christmas and a happy new 2013 ( Maya permitting [:D]).
Three jet pilot useless things: Sky above you, airstrip behind you and half second ago.
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

Excellent news, thanks. [8D]
"Personal isn't the same as important"
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

Good news,thanks
Mappo

Post by Mappo »

ORIGINAL: littleike

Please add the screen resolution support.

WitpAE was updated to support different screen resolutions and i think that if this have been done for it this could be done also for EDTBTR due to the same original developing interface. (Ask to michaelm in the witpAe forum support to know how this could be achieved)

+ 1 [&o][&o][&o] Please, please, please.
yubari

Post by yubari »

Great [:)]
cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

ORIGINAL: harley
- added a sort button for the units to sort by unit ID (so all the JG 1's appear together).
- added toggle for auto-upgrades per unit.
- added "upgrade type"
- added research %

As axis player (for the reason that I play japan in witpae, I can manage
production) I appreciate this points, the possibility to better 'manage'
the single squadrons upgrades is great.
AndyG1

Post by AndyG1 »

Great news Harley[;)]
JR5555

Post by JR5555 »

Hi,

Good news, one question. Has the bug where the bomber returns back to target after bombing run been fixed?
DavidFaust

Post by DavidFaust »

Great news.

rebuilt the research code. Now AC are given a fixed at-start value required to research, with the daily counter decremented to keep them on path

Could you please explain this with more detail please?

Its a great pity that GG games have no imagination when it comes to implementing research mechanics into there games. The research mechanic used in this game is basically a rehashed version of what was used in WIR a game thats over 20 years old!!
harley

Post by harley »

ORIGINAL: kingtiger_501

Great news.

Could you please explain this with more detail please?

Its a great pity that GG games have no imagination when it comes to implementing research mechanics into there games. The research mechanic used in this game is basically a rehashed version of what was used in WIR a game thats over 20 years old!!

hey...

basically I've geared it so that at game start (or when you load an old version game) the counter is fixed at XX research required, rather than days required. Then, every day the research required is decremented by an arbitary fixed value. This maintains the status quo of how many days to research the plane. then I've changed the code to decrement this number by one for each assembled prototype (Assembly, Components & Engine). Finally, I've limited the rush factor to max the prototype production to 10 per day. Some players were able to max out on a late game type and have it in production years early. Now this will be stopped.

This replaces the original code of 100 prototypes making taking one month off the arrival date (so 1500 prots needed for 15 months early), and my rehash which made it logarithmic (100 for one month early, 15000 for 18 months early) which was still too fast as once you clicked the first month off it accelerated heaps.

hope that helps...
Foxendown

Post by Foxendown »

I got this game as a Christmas present and I'm amazed at how realistic it feels and how addictive it has become.

The one big negative for me is the fixed screen resolution of 1024x768. My monitor has a native res of 1920x1200. In a window I have a small area of screen which isn't really big enough to be useable. The alternative is a stretched, blurry and frankly ugly full screen image. The other Matrix games I have all adjust to different screen resolutions, so I hope this can be fixed.

But it's a great game, no doubts about that.

npsergio

Post by npsergio »

May we need to restart our current games in order to the next patch fully works?
Thanks!
Mappo

Post by Mappo »

Hi Harley, is there any news about your patch? Is still confirmed the deadline of 31 january?
Regards

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”