Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestions for New Player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Suggestions for New Player Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestions for New Player - 12/10/2012 5:56:44 PM   
HowieWowie

Just picked up BftB and HttR this weekend. I've worked through the tutorial videos. As a new player I'd appreciate advice on which scenarios to start with?

Has anybody compiled a quick ref sheet? I've found the key board shortcuts in the manual but I was wondering if anybody has a more extensive creative option that they'd be willing to share.

Finally since I have both BftB and HttR are there any game play differences.

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Suggestions for New Player - 12/10/2012 6:30:17 PM   
wodin

Hmm..try a small scenario that lasts a couple of days..I can't remember which ones they are someone else will chime in though. However it will say in the description.

Also keep playing the tutorial scenario until your happy with the UI and mechanics etc. Read AAR's aswell.

Oh and play with realistic command delay from the start..you may aswell get used to it straight away as it's how all the scenarios are balanced anyway.

The first scenario I played and really enjoyed was the second scenario i tried Race to Bastogne..a great scenario.

I think ST Vith was the first scenario I tried as it was relatively small.

< Message edited by wodin -- 12/10/2012 6:36:00 PM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to HowieWowie)
Post #: 2
RE: Suggestions for New Player - 12/10/2012 9:46:14 PM   
phoenix

Hofen is best. Great starting scenario. Great scenario full stop. Manageable size. There are many AARs available, I think (well, a couple, anyway) to guide. I cut my teeth (in ths game) on Hofen and still love it. You can play it many, many times and the AI will do it diff each time. It will surprise you. I think it's best as Axis, but it's great as Allies too.

After that I love Manhay. Manhay was a crucial battle in the RL operation. It was really where the Axis idea stalled and finally foundered, I think. It was as far as they (the Axis) got, I believe (in strength - smaller groups got further). The effort to stop them was courageous, but the Axis advance was very courageous too - something, I have to say (having no sympathy whatsoever for the idea of German troops being in Belgium or anywhere else where they shouldn't have been) that I only really appreciated after trying to win this scenario many times as Axis! As with many Bulge battles (just as it was in RL), the Axis side starts off with strength and surprise, but it doesn't last too long, and long term the Allies had so much men and materiel to throw against them that it was a wonder they got anywhere at all, really. You play this game enough and you really begin to see how mad Hitler's plan was....

In HTTR Joe's Bridge is the nicest smaller one to start with. You should be able to win that really well on all normal settings, with a little practice. There are less smaller, starting scenarios in HTTR. You could download the excellent Brabant scenarios which have just been put up though, and do the really nice Mill scenario to start with (as Axis).

There will - I trust - be some beautiful smaller scenarios coming soon when the COTA conversion arrives. But at the moment I would definitely do it like this. 1. Hofen. 2 Manhay. 3. Piper's Race. All can be played from either side. Good luck! You'll enjoy more if you've time to run it slow and really use the info available so you can really see what's going on behind the little counters (by clicking on them, I mean and reading everything you can read in the side bar). Let us know how you get on.

Wodin's advice about realistic delay from the start very good, I think. It's not really the same game if you play with anything else. Race to Bastogne is a fantastic scenario, but it's very big. Huge OB to cope with. I still find it v daunting.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 12/10/2012 10:22:47 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Suggestions for New Player - 12/11/2012 12:44:15 AM   
wodin

As phoenix say..take your time and play the game slowly..don't speed it up all the way through..in my opinion the game isn't worth playing by doing that..watch how your units move and attack..keep re assessing even on the small scenarios, you can check the casualties and get your imagination into gear..also check out the bio and history on the unit and commander..some have no info others have a fair bit..you'll also see alot of units have the real life commander name leading them. Something I'd love to be added is commander being wounded or killed..

Go with Pheonix advice..and enjoy the game and battle as it unfolds..whenever I've rushed it and had it running at high speed I've never enjoyed it as much as when I've taken my time and enjoyed the flow of the battle..

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 4
RE: Suggestions for New Player - 12/11/2012 8:18:55 AM   
nicwb

There are some decent short HTTR games (just finishing "Second wave" from the German perspective).

[quoteGo with Pheonix advice..and enjoy the game and battle as it unfolds..whenever I've rushed it and had it running at high speed I've never enjoyed it as much as when I've taken my time and enjoyed the flow of the battle][/quote]

+2 - the best advice I received for this game came from Arjuna in the tutorial video - let your AI subordinates do the work. The first few games I played were frustrating as i was trying to micromanage everything. You can do it but it makes the game especially the larger scenarios very cumbersome. on the other hand setting objectives and running the game from Battalion level- ie watching the flow- is quite fun. And you can get good results too !

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Suggestions for New Player - 12/11/2012 10:19:06 AM   
wodin

^what he says..at times you may need to micro manage a unit here or there, but on the whole battalion level orders are probably the best between having something todo and not being swamped.Let aside any control freak side you may have...or not every commander for every unit..but most of all try different things with the smaller sceanrios giving out orders and watch what happens..

I remember giving an attack order to a battalion or regiment can't remember..but I didn't give an FUP, I was amazed as the commander then split his forces in two and came into the attack from two different sides!! I couldn't have done it better myself!

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Suggestions for New Player Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI