Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reserve Mode Activations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Reserve Mode Activations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reserve Mode Activations - 12/10/2012 12:21:55 AM   
Pelton

Reserve Mode Activations

At some point as GHC you are forced to defend.

The fact of the matter is if you play the full 41-45 campaign you will play about 70 on the offensive and the other 140 on defense.

I figured I go over reserve mode activations (RMA) as I believe I have this tactic down to a science. If you have more to add please do by all means.

“Your never as smart as you think you are and the other guy is never as stupid as you think he is.”

Pelton

Basically there are 2 parts to RMA: Regiment RMA and SU RMA. I be addressing regiment as there are others who are far better then me at SU RMA. The SU set-up is also very important as they are not effected by bombing. Hopefully SJ will post on this, if not at some point in the near future when I get my SU reactions to 10+ like SJ I will throw down what I know. My normal SU reaction was 4-6 and now its 8-10.

Basically you set-up your Army with 9 infantry divisions and 3 panzer divisions this will = 27 cup when the panzers are broken down.
The infantry hold the front and panzers in 2nd line broken down into regiments. You should have a min 7 int leader.

With about a 33% chance of reaction per unit per battle this means you will be more then likely to get 2 per turn generally more then enough to get the odds below 2 to 1. Now most turns panzers can react 3 times. So you have a possible 27 reactions. That’s allot of soaking attacks.

Ok now generally SHC have in the past done the Rifle / Tank Corps ball and made a bulge in the line, that can easily be countered.

1st over lap 2 armies, so you get up to another 27 reactions. You need to try and get the over lap right where the Reds are forming there main attack.

I also have several independent Corp set-up after 3-43. 4 Infantry divisions and 1 mot division. I have I Corp set-up as the big stopper.

You put 3 divisions in the front and 1 infantry ( 8 cv per regiment) and the 1 mot division in the back broken down. The divisions up front are stacked with the divisions from the other fronts. You will have very high front line CV with or without a fort and up to 64 panzer reactions and 3 big ass infantry reactions. There is no amount of bombing from the air of the 2nd and 3rd line units that will cut down on the 100% 2 reactions per turn. Make sure you have enough air force in area, great way to build up the fighters exp. Also bombing the Tank Corps causes disrupted units and lowers Mp's. Great fun really :). You will lose 1 hex per turn, but SHC will be forsed to take the hex that they can attack from 3 sides, which means it will take them atleast 4 turns to make a 10 deep 40 mile long "hole". Then its still not easy to get a hex in the 2nd line because you will have a 3 high stack vs an attack from 2 hexs, not likely to work because of massive reactions and just a plain lack of space to get off more then 3 attacks. I have had hexes hold vs 3 9 rifle divisions assaults and 2 Corp lvl assaults in a single turn. Holding hexes vs 3 massive attacks is normal.

This tactic will only work as a stop gap. At some point the SHC will be able to attack at more spots in the line then you can stop and a slow withdrawal will have to be undertaken. You will get ground down, but this will delay it for 60-80 turns, with out it GHC can be ground down in 20-30 turns.

Allot depends on the SHC skillat grinding.

In the winter as GHC you have to defend the hole front, but once the rivers are free of ice you can pick some good river lines. This will make it very easy to defend as the few soft spots can be defended with a mass reserve mode set-up. It will be easy to hold the lines during 43 spring/summer and fall. The trick is 1944, hopefully you can hold the river line, if you can you got a minor win in the bag.

OKH and AG leaders should have 8 int also.

There are several ways to set-up the Corps as far as HQ goes. You really only need 1 Corp HQ per army. You can slowly disband them 1 per turn at some point. Still tring to figure that out coupled with SJ’s SU reactions.

Katza's thread on GHC air power is also a huge part of a good GHC 43-45 defense.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 12/10/2012 12:28:04 AM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmyypGyfng&list=PLrY4H4gWWBircAjo
Post #: 1
RE: Reserve Mode Activations - 12/10/2012 12:28:05 AM   
smokindave34

Pelton,

Thanks for sharing this information, not many games make it into '43-44 so there is not a lot of information out there on how to handle this part of the war. I have one game as axis that is now into October '43 and reserve activation has helped to stem the tide a bit. Hopefully I can use the information you shared to slow you down in our game when you gain the initiative

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 2
RE: Reserve Mode Activations - 12/10/2012 12:36:58 AM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

Pelton,

Thanks for sharing this information, not many games make it into '43-44 so there is not a lot of information out there on how to handle this part of the war. I have one game as axis that is now into October '43 and reserve activation has helped to stem the tide a bit. Hopefully I can use the information you shared to slow you down in our game when you gain the initiative

I saw you reading it and said to myself ****!! hehehe

I have very little exp with air war, but that can also be a HUGE help.

When SHC start pushing they need art divisions. I do not know yet but bombing them every single turn as much as you can would really slow down the advance.

SHC has to change over to 2.0 so it not like they have a massive hammer at first, they got 1, then 2. Takes a while to build, so once they commit, RMA and bomb the **** out of them.

I think GHC 1943 can handle 3 strong army front for a while, sure you will get ground down, but you have to make it cost them as much as possible for as long as possible.

That stupid little ratio I post is important, as just a 3.5 to 1 changed to a 3.6 to 1 is HUGE over 60 turns and can mean you holding strong for another month. I have upped mine from 2.7 to 1 to an average of 3.5 to1. SJ is at 4.5 to 1

So I have allot to learn still myself and stop reading dave !!!!!!!!!

< Message edited by Pelton -- 12/10/2012 12:40:22 AM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmyypGyfng&list=PLrY4H4gWWBircAjo

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 3
RE: Reserve Mode Activations - 12/10/2012 12:39:30 AM   
smokindave34

I'll forget everything I just read.......

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Reserve Mode Activations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI