Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Hobbit (OT)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: The Hobbit (OT) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/15/2012 9:22:28 PM   
Blackhorse

I was a college freshmen with no interest in fantasy literature, but I finally got tired of my friends trading Tolkein "in-jokes" that IO couldn't understand. So I read the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy over one long weekend, and I've been hooked ever since.

Around 1979/80 there was an attempt at an animated LOTR movie, I remember reviewing it for my college newspaper at a theater in downtown DC. The first part wasn't well done, (I recall that Gandalf calling Saruman " 'Aruman') and chalked it up to British english) and I don't think they ever finished the sequel.

I've also read "Bored of the Rings" -- and remember the Villanova-sweatshirt wearing Ballhog. "Aeei, the Ballhog!"

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 61
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/16/2012 12:26:36 AM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Have you read Bored With The Rings? Remember the "Little X-Shaped Forest"?

What about "The Land of the knee-walking Turkeys"?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 62
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/16/2012 1:42:46 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

quote:

What about "The Land of the knee-walking Turkeys"?

The famous horse, Filofax.

Probably a joke which goes right over the heads of anyone younger than 40.

The Moose

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 63
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/16/2012 1:44:07 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

Around 1979/80 there was an attempt at an animated LOTR movie, I remember reviewing it for my college newspaper at a theater in downtown DC. The first part wasn't well done, (I recall that Gandalf calling Saruman " 'Aruman') and chalked it up to British english) and I don't think they ever finished the sequel.

Was that the Ralph Bakshi (sp?) one? The guy who made "Fritz the Cat"? If so I saw it without having read the books and had no idea what was going on. Or, I was stoned. Pick 'em.

The Moose

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 64
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/16/2012 10:43:48 AM   
janh

quote:

I've also read "Bored of the Rings" -- and remember the Villanova-sweatshirt wearing Ballhog. "Aeei, the Ballhog!"

Thx for this one -- I am just dying laughing. How is it I missed that? The clips are on youtube, awesome!

So, who has managed to watch the new movie yet? Without spoiling it, has it held up to your expectations?

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 65
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/16/2012 11:16:26 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Was that the Ralph Bakshi (sp?) one? The guy who made "Fritz the Cat"? If so I saw it without having read the books and had no idea what was going on. Or, I was stoned. Pick 'em.

You just knew Bullwinkle had to be a stoner.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 66
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/16/2012 9:10:03 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

The moose had some game. Went halvsies on a Toke Master bought with a CREDIT CARD in the 70s. You had to be there to know what a nose-thumbing that was to The Man.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 12/16/2012 9:11:36 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 67
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/17/2012 4:31:29 AM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Me and my family (wife and two sons) made a last-minute decision to go to the midnight showing last night.  My other child was doing the same thing up in Knoxville.  The movie is well made and there are fabulous aspects (Bilbo, Gandalf, Gollem and the Dwarfs are fantastic, but the goblins are poorly done and the CGI battles were pretty substandard, which shocked me).  Overall it doesn't measure up to LOTR, but it's a solid effort.

I reald all Tolkein when I was a lad, and really enjoyed LOTR movies. That being said, my two word review of "the Hobbit" is this: Muddle Earth. It's visually very good and has some nice action, but it's a bit of an editing mess.

I don't know if it's a naked attempt to make more money, or indulging Peter Jackson, but The Hobbit should not be 10 hours of film. I like detail, but the pace is too slow. This first film is one hour of solid action crammed into 3 hours.

I'll probably still go to #2, but the first is a little disappointing.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 68
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/17/2012 5:08:23 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

The moose had some game. Went halvsies on a Toke Master bought with a CREDIT CARD in the 70s. You had to be there to know what a nose-thumbing that was to The Man.

Bought with a credit card? No. That's using the tools of the man to buy a counter-cultural device. A mixed message all the way.

A real poke in the eye of the man? Retrofit a physical rehabilitation respirator unit into a 'water pipe'. Then you'd get my respect.

Post #: 69
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/17/2012 5:15:52 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

Yep, that's it. You could have watched it without being high, and still felt you were stoned by the end.

In the days before CG, and near the end of the era when cells for animated movies had to be hand-drawn. Bakshi tried a technique called "rotoscoping" to make it possible to show crowded scenes (battles, orcs). IIRC, rotoscoping meant filming live actors, then somehow tracing over the film to animate it. But the 'rotoscoped' characters and scenes looked like they were in a different movie from the Fellowship. Good idea, but the technology wasn't quite ripe.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

Post #: 70
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/17/2012 5:18:03 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

I've already said more than I should. BW has strange friends in strange places. If anyone named Boris Badinoff asks you about him, feign ignorance. If you think you hear a sonic boom, do not look up, things could get rather squirrelly.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 71
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/17/2012 1:07:40 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Bought with a credit card? No. That's using the tools of the man to buy a counter-cultural device. A mixed message all the way.

A real poke in the eye of the man? Retrofit a physical rehabilitation respirator unit into a 'water pipe'. Then you'd get my respect.

Well, seen at the macro, using any device made by the military-industrial crypto-fascist Establishment was selling out to The Man. Respirators could be made into RPGs if one were motivated enough dontchaknow . . .

For true oneness with the planet a nice pipe could be made from a fresh potato. Cool, sweet, satisfying smoke, just like a 1950s cigarette ad.

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 72
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/17/2012 1:10:07 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

Yep, that's it. You could have watched it without being high, and still felt you were stoned by the end.

In the days before CG, and near the end of the era when cells for animated movies had to be hand-drawn. Bakshi tried a technique called "rotoscoping" to make it possible to show crowded scenes (battles, orcs). IIRC, rotoscoping meant filming live actors, then somehow tracing over the film to animate it. But the 'rotoscoped' characters and scenes looked like they were in a different movie from the Fellowship. Good idea, but the technology wasn't quite ripe.

Yeah, I remember a lot of blood red backdrops with black silhouettes of guys on horses and beasts charging around with no clear reason why. OTOH, I saw "Fritz" in college and thought it was about the coolest thing ever. Really staid now, but at the time it was mind-blowing to see cartoons cussing.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 12/17/2012 1:12:26 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 73
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/17/2012 1:43:05 PM   
geofflambert

No, this was the coolest thing ever.

It's been my life's inspiration ever since.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 74
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/17/2012 2:24:16 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Head & Shoulders commercial?

The Moose

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 75
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/18/2012 12:32:14 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

Something that may be of interest to hardcore LoTR fans - the standard map of Middle Earth is incorrect, specifically the "East-West Road" that runs from Bree to Rivendell.

Way back in the day I used to design scenarios for CivII, and at one point offered to help a guy who had released a really nice "adventure type" scenario based on Lord of the Rings, and was planning a major upgrade. My task was to try and validate the distances on the map, as much as possible. To do that I went back to the books and concentrated on capturing geographic information from the text, to include days traveled, terrain types, and even the directions of movement. Which was surprisingly easy to do, since Tolkien was quite detailed in those aspects of his narrative.

The biggest surprise came as I mapped out the direction of travel taken by Strider and the Hobbits as they moved eastward from Bree to Rivendell. When you look at the map, the East-West Road is basically a straight shot, but that's not true. The real shape is a large lazy "S", but it only became apparent from mapping out the actual journey. We revised the map accordingly and put that in the scenario - even discussed it a bit in the documentation, but I've never seen any other mention of this finding, which is kind of surprising given the vast amount of attention devoted to all things Lord of the Rings.

So now you know a tiny little new thing about LoTR that nobody else does!

Ooh! I LOVE furry toes!!

And then there's Tim Benzedrine and Lady Hashberry to help the travellers along their way...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 76
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/18/2012 12:34:13 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

I was a college freshmen with no interest in fantasy literature, but I finally got tired of my friends trading Tolkein "in-jokes" that IO couldn't understand. So I read the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy over one long weekend, and I've been hooked ever since.

The ominous sound rumbling form the deep: "dribble, dribble, shoot, swish!" followed by the appearance of the huge monster wearing the evil runes "Villanova"..

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 77
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/28/2012 2:57:05 AM   
Canoerebel

Okay, so I think the majority agree that The Hobbit is good but not spectacular.  I also think it will age very well.

But you want to see a movie that will knock your socks off?  Les Miserables is indeed spectacular.  Take your wife or significant other and earn massive brownie points to boot.  Me, my wife and my daughter went tonight.  We'll go again before the New Year. 

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 78
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/28/2012 4:30:44 AM   
Reg

To everyone except Hal, Get some time up newbies...

I first read The Hobbit in third grade back in 1971 and was forever captivated by the magic. I have been reading and low profile collecting ever since. I've seen Bakshi (a valiant attempt but just far too ambitious for the technology at the time..), read Bored with the Rings, Silmarillion, Lost Tales etc so with my bookshelf I think I would classify as a fan or at least knowledgeable on the subject. You just gotta admire John Howe's and Alan Lee's works on the topic.

I do like the LOTR movies but though I think they do the novels justice, I cannot say they are a substitute for the books. There is just so much in the written word that just cannot be conveyed in the visual format. Fran and Philippa wrote an excellent screenplay version of the story though it does deviate from the original work in so many key ways (Legolas and the Mûmakil, the role of the Corsairs of Umbra, and whats with the skulls in the extended version, etc etc)

I haven't had a chance to see The Hobbit movie yet (curses to the Boxing day release in Australia ) but I will keep an open mind. My major concern is the amount of material required to fill so many movies so I hope Jackson just fills in the gaps and doesn't get too carried away in his horror film roots (avalanche of skulls anyone??).

Looking forward to it.

< Message edited by Reg -- 12/28/2012 10:35:19 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has introduced a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 79
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/28/2012 5:47:31 PM   
jeffk3510

It was a great movie.

I really enjoy the LOTR series. I was very excited for three more.

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 80
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/28/2012 7:12:13 PM   
Encircled

Really enjoyed it

Ok, some bits were a bit slow, but if you know your Middle Earth and have read all of his stuff, it links together really well.

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 81
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/29/2012 12:42:56 AM   
jamesm

Saw it on boxing day, I found that it dragged a fair bit. They could have edited a lot out and made it a much tighter film that moved faster than it did. I still liked it but it was not on the same level as the LotR trilogy.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 82
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 1/4/2013 10:04:03 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Wife and I went to see it last night and we loved it (as we did with LotR series)...

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
We watched "ordinary" 2D version - IMHO 3D is "gimmick" only and suitable for Avatar only (the one and only 3D that was really worth it IMHO)...

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 83
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 1/4/2013 5:10:20 PM   
ilovestrategy

My commanding officer(Mrs. Ilovestrategy) bought me a discount ticket at her work so I'll be seeing it a second time.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 84
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 1/8/2013 4:23:04 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

Wife and I went to see it last night and we loved it (as we did with LotR series)...

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
We watched "ordinary" 2D version - IMHO 3D is "gimmick" only and suitable for Avatar only (the one and only 3D that was really worth it IMHO)...

I HATE 3D but totally agree with this statement. Avatar was amazing in that venue!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 85
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 1/8/2013 4:27:14 PM   
John 3rd

Dan and I were just exchanging a turn and I made the comment that the boys and I were going to see Hobbit again and he wrote back how he saw it a second time as well as really enjoyed it.

Really have to concur. The 2nd time was far better then the first. I found the pacing to be more enjoyable, the dwarves were a riot, and it felt like a better movie as a whole. Thought that was rather interesting. The world that Peter Jackson has created is just so marvelous that it really just enriches the overall experience. Howard Shore's score is like a returning old friend. The themes of the Hobbits, the Eagles, and the Ring just add an audial component that only serves to deepen the experience.

Mt .02...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 86
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 1/8/2013 5:12:27 PM   
Canoerebel

The Hobbit is good, but IMHO Les Miserables is spectacular.  Any of the rest of you seen that yet?  What are your thoughts?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 87
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 1/8/2013 5:18:41 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

The Hobbit is good, but IMHO Les Miserables is spectacular.  Any of the rest of you seen that yet?  What are your thoughts?

You haven't mentioned Lincoln, yet you've seen The Hobbit twice? Is this because of the subject matter? I think it was Shelby Foote that wryly stated that "We never did much care for Lincoln in my home, growing up."

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 88
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 1/8/2013 5:29:44 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm one of those dastardly southerners who loves Lincoln.  Actually, I think many southerners do, so I'm no rarity.

I have not seen Lincoln.  I am very reluctant to go to any historical movies because it drives me nuts when a "historic" movie takes liberties.  (The same thing applies to books - I was not very impressed with O'Reilley's Killing Lincoln.)  I've heard the Lincoln movie was pretty good, but I haven't heard that from folks who know history.  So, what did you think?

P.S.  In 2003, my young family went on our first vacation "up north."  We homeschooled our children and, as part of this trip, we assembled at the cemetery in Gettysburg to read the "Gettysburg Address."  For obvious reasons, this seemed like it would be a momentous - almost sacred - thing to do.  But I'll never forget that morning because the entire family, for some reason, was just flat out of sorts.  A bigger bunch of "ill pills" I had never seen.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 89
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 1/8/2013 6:51:52 PM   
sprior

Took daughter and son to see the Hobbit at the new local IMAX. I was very impressed by the new Star Trek trailer, 5 minutes of big 3D goodness.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: The Hobbit (OT) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI