Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Hobbit (OT)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: The Hobbit (OT) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/11/2012 3:17:30 PM   
Chickenboy

Teaching "the kids" (veterinary graduate students) keeps one a bit more in the thick of things, but that only goes so far. In a recent classroom discussion (~100 freshman veterinary students avg. age 23) we were discussing euthanasia methods for food animal species. After talking them through the pros and cons of different methodologies (e.g., CO2, captive bolt, barbituates, etc.), I wanted to lighten the mood a bit.

I described some of the 'better' methods over here (gestures with right arm extended) and some of the 'more problematic' methods over here (gestures with left arm extended). So over here (right arm) you have your Argon/CO2 and over here (left arm) you have very cruel and-probably-inhumane techniques: Like an Alec Baldwin film festival.

"The kids" got it and laughed uproariously. But I've got to update my repertoire to keep it relevant.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 31
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/11/2012 4:47:51 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Coffee is for closers!

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 32
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/11/2012 8:56:46 PM   
bradfordkay

For me, the first time I ever got a sense of being old was at an Arlo Guthrie concert in the late eighties. He introduced the song Alice's Restaurant with the line: "I've been singing this song for over twenty years now. I guess that I've been singing it longer than some of you have been alive." It was my date nodding her head in agreement that made me realize it was time to leave Athens (the lovely town where dan and I went to college).

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 33
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/12/2012 12:30:31 AM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

I read The Hobbit and LotR when I was around 13 - 14. It was just magical. I've reread them at least 5 or 6 times over the years, and The Silmarillion 2 or 3 times. I thought Peter Jackson did a masterful job with the LotR movies. I saw each of them on opening night, owned the regular edition DVD's and Extended Edition set on BluRay. I watch all 3 extended edition movies in a marathon 12-13 hour session every Christmas vacation, and will do so again this year.

Surprisingly to myself, I don't have much excitement for the new Hobbit movies. Maybe it's something to do with the epic scale of The War of the Ring compared to the marvelous adventure of The Hobbit, but I don't get warm fuzzies about splitting it into 3 movies. I have no doubts that Jackson will do another fantastic job with them, and I know I'll enjoy them when I do see them. I just won't be going out of my way to see them in the movie theater.

I have to agree. I tried to read The Hobbit as a teen, and could not get into it. Well, I was reading Heinlein, Asimov, and Herbert at the time. Then I picked up LotR, and waded through all three. Thought my Mom was going to steal the books from me to keep from telling me to go to sleep at 0200 hrs. Did the same thing with Dune, Starship Troopers, all of the Foundation series.. Now THERE is something I'd like to see Jackson tackle. All of the Foundation books, or at least the trilogy!

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 34
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/12/2012 1:35:46 AM   
drw61

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thayne

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin

I also thought about trying out that LoTR MMOPG one Christmas holiday season. Does anyone know it? Do you have any overlap with the real ring quest in that game? Seems the regions and addons come out very slowly, and they really try to milk players for each little thing and adventure pack? I never understood or liked the idea of buying special weapons, levels and skill with real money, that kind of eliminated the sporty and challenge part to keeps me addicted. Might be worth waiting until the maps are completely done and released in a few year, if ever so?

I have been playing Lord of the Rings Online since its release. It was an anniversary present - something my wife and I enjoy doing together (as opposed to WitPAE - which is a personal interest of mine she does not share.) We have been adventuring together for these five years.

I play on the Landroval server - which is "role-playing encouraged". (If any are familiar with the place, you will know me as Meadowlarke Sweetweed.)

As was said earlier, the events in the game overlap the events in the War of the Rings. Your low-level character will encounter events consistent with the start of the Fellowship of the Ring - Frodo leaving the Shire. As you go through the game, you will encounter the Fellowship in Rivendell, in Lothlorien, and then again further down the river.

The are still building the game. In the most recent release, we got Rohan (and mounted combat).

Given the size of each region, the pace of the release seems quite reasonable. In year 1, they started with the Shire, Bree, Rivendell, and the lands west of the Misty Mountains. Year 2 brought Moria. Year 3 brought Lothlorien and the wood elves. Year 4 gave us the Gap of Rohan and Isengard. Year 5 brings Rohan.

There is a player-versus-player region for those who like competitive gaming. However, most of the world does not allow players to harm other players. It is a cooperative game - which, to me, is a good thing.

You do not have to pay for anything. Everything can be acquired through the game. (There are a couple of exceptions, but none of them essential to play). By paying a standard subscription rate, one can get a monthly allotment of "Turbine points". Of course, if a person wants a lot of storage, cosmetic clothing, and a more rapid progression of levels and skills, one can purchase them as well. Or, one can earn them through the course of playing the game.

I quite enjoy the game. I particularly enjoy the cooperative nature of it. I enjoy the fact that it is something my wife and I can do together that does not involve competing against her.

I am in the Nimrodel server. My main's name is Nymphonic. I started playing waaaaaaaay back in April 2007 on launch day and have played ever since.

LOL, Just saw this, my wife is so addicted, I play occasionally to keep her happy. We started in June on the Silverlode server, Taksi and Wincliff.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 35
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/12/2012 6:36:33 AM   
Empire101

I first read LOTR, while I was with my parents ( I was about 8 or 9 years old ), visiting a sick family friend.

I noticed the huge book and started flicking through, and within a few minutes I was hooked, and have been ever since.
I bought everything by Tolkien and revisit LOTR every two years. Its like meeting an old friend.

One of my most prized possessions is two copies of SPI's 'The War of The Ring', that my brother and I still play regularly.

As to the Hobbit.....I can't wait!!

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 36
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/12/2012 2:15:50 PM   
USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

I read The Hobbit and LotR when I was around 13 - 14. It was just magical. I've reread them at least 5 or 6 times over the years, and The Silmarillion 2 or 3 times. I thought Peter Jackson did a masterful job with the LotR movies. I saw each of them on opening night, owned the regular edition DVD's and Extended Edition set on BluRay. I watch all 3 extended edition movies in a marathon 12-13 hour session every Christmas vacation, and will do so again this year.

Surprisingly to myself, I don't have much excitement for the new Hobbit movies. Maybe it's something to do with the epic scale of The War of the Ring compared to the marvelous adventure of The Hobbit, but I don't get warm fuzzies about splitting it into 3 movies. I have no doubts that Jackson will do another fantastic job with them, and I know I'll enjoy them when I do see them. I just won't be going out of my way to see them in the movie theater.

I have to agree. I tried to read The Hobbit as a teen, and could not get into it. Well, I was reading Heinlein, Asimov, and Herbert at the time. Then I picked up LotR, and waded through all three. Thought my Mom was going to steal the books from me to keep from telling me to go to sleep at 0200 hrs. Did the same thing with Dune, Starship Troopers, all of the Foundation series.. Now THERE is something I'd like to see Jackson tackle. All of the Foundation books, or at least the trilogy!

I have GOT to gather and reread the Foundation series! It's probably been 25 years or more since I read them last. I reread the Dune series(s) a couple of years ago and included the newer books from Frank's boy. I really enjoyed those newer books as well. For me, though, all other reading is on hold until after the last Wheel of Time book is released in January, A Memory of Light. I've been reading them since the first came out in 1990, and waiting for "the next book" for literally 23 years! It will be bittersweet, however, when it finally ends.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 37
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/13/2012 12:04:36 PM   
traskott

Another freak here... I'll go tomorrow to see it and hope to enjoy as with LORT. I'm aware they are different style ( Hobbit is more for kids ), but I really like all Tolkien World.

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 38
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/13/2012 12:13:21 PM   
koniu

I am also Middle-earth fan but sadly in Poland we will have Hobbit not until 28 December

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 39
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/13/2012 5:20:29 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

I am also Middle-earth fan but sadly in Poland we will have Hobbit not until 28 December

Hop on a plane and fly to the states!

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 40
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/13/2012 5:24:28 PM   
John 3rd

ONE day to go BABY!

OK. New story:

Paula was nine months pregnant with John when we went to the Continental in Denver (70MM BABY!) to see Return of the King. I was WRAPPED into my favorite scene from the book at that moment. Theoden making his speech as the Rohan Hoste is about to attack the army surrounding the White City. The charge starts, the Shore's score is ROCKING, and I am at fever pitch for the climatic moment of the movie. Suddenly Paula reaches over and grabs my hand. I was like WHAT ARE YOU DOIN??!! Suddenly she places my hand on her stomach and John is ROCKING in time with the music! It was a memory I shall always prize. To this day if I cannot find my eldest son all I have to do is put that scene on and PRESTO he appears...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 41
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/13/2012 5:31:48 PM   
Canoerebel

On Labor Day 1992 my eight-months-pregnant wife and I attended the reenactment at Chickamauga Battlefield. At the discharge of a cannon, the baby jumped in utero (is that the right term?).  That child is now a 20-year-old college student who hates loud noises.  :) 

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 42
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/13/2012 7:00:12 PM   
Kull

Something that may be of interest to hardcore LoTR fans - the standard map of Middle Earth is incorrect, specifically the "East-West Road" that runs from Bree to Rivendell.

Way back in the day I used to design scenarios for CivII, and at one point offered to help a guy who had released a really nice "adventure type" scenario based on Lord of the Rings, and was planning a major upgrade. My task was to try and validate the distances on the map, as much as possible. To do that I went back to the books and concentrated on capturing geographic information from the text, to include days traveled, terrain types, and even the directions of movement. Which was surprisingly easy to do, since Tolkien was quite detailed in those aspects of his narrative.

The biggest surprise came as I mapped out the direction of travel taken by Strider and the Hobbits as they moved eastward from Bree to Rivendell. When you look at the map, the East-West Road is basically a straight shot, but that's not true. The real shape is a large lazy "S", but it only became apparent from mapping out the actual journey. We revised the map accordingly and put that in the scenario - even discussed it a bit in the documentation, but I've never seen any other mention of this finding, which is kind of surprising given the vast amount of attention devoted to all things Lord of the Rings.

So now you know a tiny little new thing about LoTR that nobody else does!

AE-Japan Setup

AE-Allied Setup

Japan Air-Engine Plan

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 43
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/13/2012 7:38:16 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

Something that may be of interest to hardcore LoTR fans - the standard map of Middle Earth is incorrect, specifically the "East-West Road" that runs from Bree to Rivendell.

Way back in the day I used to design scenarios for CivII, and at one point offered to help a guy who had released a really nice "adventure type" scenario based on Lord of the Rings, and was planning a major upgrade. My task was to try and validate the distances on the map, as much as possible. To do that I went back to the books and concentrated on capturing geographic information from the text, to include days traveled, terrain types, and even the directions of movement. Which was surprisingly easy to do, since Tolkien was quite detailed in those aspects of his narrative.

The biggest surprise came as I mapped out the direction of travel taken by Strider and the Hobbits as they moved eastward from Bree to Rivendell. When you look at the map, the East-West Road is basically a straight shot, but that's not true. The real shape is a large lazy "S", but it only became apparent from mapping out the actual journey. We revised the map accordingly and put that in the scenario - even discussed it a bit in the documentation, but I've never seen any other mention of this finding, which is kind of surprising given the vast amount of attention devoted to all things Lord of the Rings.

Have you read Bored With The Rings? Remember the "Little X-Shaped Forest"?

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 44
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/13/2012 7:47:24 PM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

I think JRR knew... The "official" map of Middle Earth was drawn by Christopher Tolkien, JRR's son. Christopher wrote that his father always remind him map's oddities and inaccuracies. JRR never draw complete accurate map, only lot of sketches.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 45
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/13/2012 8:18:13 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

I think JRR knew... The "official" map of Middle Earth was drawn by Christopher Tolkien, JRR's son. Christopher wrote that his father always remind him map's oddities and inaccuracies. JRR never draw complete accurate map, only lot of sketches.

Agree completely - I'm CERTAIN that JRR had a fully developed map in his head, even if there wasn't one on paper. If you ever have some time, just go back and re-read that section from "Fellowship" that covers the journey from Bree onwards. It's amazing how much geographic information he provides - I had never really noticed that before, since I was so caught up in the story.

AE-Japan Setup

AE-Allied Setup

Japan Air-Engine Plan

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 46
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/13/2012 8:20:39 PM   
Olorin

Well, I just returned from the theater...first impression: sublime. I was literally with a smile on my face throughout the movie. Very faithful to the book too, especially the early half in the Shire.

Definitely on par with the LOTR trilogy.

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 47
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/13/2012 8:26:50 PM   
Canoerebel

Now that's a good word!

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 48
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/14/2012 1:05:55 AM   
John 3rd

CANNOT WAIT!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 49
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/14/2012 2:02:38 AM   
Bullwinkle58

It got 1.5 stars in our local paper. A lot of national reviews are average to bad. I don't expect any of them will stop the faithful.

The Moose

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 50
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/14/2012 2:32:09 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

It got 1.5 stars in our local paper. A lot of national reviews are average to bad. I don't expect any of them will stop the faithful.

In the 80s, Gremlins bombed in the reviews and I loved that movie. If a movie doesnt have long drawn out conversations and multiple subplots it doesn't have a chance with reviews.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 51
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/14/2012 3:20:37 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

The Red Star Tribune couldn't find its own arse with two hands, a guidebook and a mirror.

"Rotten Tomatoes" by Flixter gives a good national review summary. But you're right-middling reviews by and large that decry the stretching of this singular novel into 9 hours of cinema seems the common thread.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 52
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/14/2012 4:49:13 AM   
geofflambert

I reread The Hobbit a few years back, and I couldn't figure out how you would fill one movie, let alone three. Tolkien just wrote a sketch really, and should have returned to it and fleshed it out. There certainly isn't enough dialog in the book for more than twenty minutes or so. On the other hand it's clear there's a great deal of room to fill in the gaps, both dialog wise and visually. I'm sure it's great and I'll definitely see all three, but it requires a great artist to pull it off. I could be cynical and say that it's about the money, but they're just trying to give us what we want. I hope they've succeeded.

Someone mentioned the Foundation series. That gives me great qualms. There is so much room for interpretation there, I hope somebody really really good claims it for a first attempt, and we allow for (however successful that first attempt is) alternate reconceptions.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 53
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/14/2012 4:53:51 AM   
jmalter

great news, Olorin - i'm looking forward to seeing it!

a thread at another site reminded me of the 'Bored of the Rings' parody, where Goodgulf Greyteeth is remembering the aftermath of Dildo's riddle-duel w/ Goddam:

"It was pity that stayed his hand - it was a pity that he'd run out of bullets."

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 54
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/14/2012 5:22:37 AM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

Hop on a plane and fly to the states!

I have no US visa so they will not let me in.
I have closer to UK, and no visa needed

< Message edited by koniu -- 12/14/2012 5:23:33 AM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 55
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/14/2012 10:39:18 AM   
Olorin

Regarding the reviews, the Hobbit currently holds a rating of 69% in rotten tomatoes, which proves that a large percentage of reviewers are divorced with reality and do no know what they are talking about or deliberately offer negative reviews.
Don't forget, anyone can write a movie review. If they were really experts in their field, they would be out making movies of their own, not criticizing the work of others.

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 56
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/14/2012 10:50:11 AM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin

Regarding the reviews, the Hobbit currently holds a rating of 69% in rotten tomatoes, which proves that a large percentage of reviewers are divorced with reality and do no know what they are talking about or deliberately offer negative reviews.
Don't forget, anyone can write a movie review. If they were really experts in their field, they would be out making movies of their own, not criticizing the work of others.

Hobbit will have hard job to have good revives in such sites.
Why?
Because everyone will compare it with LOTR which was high quality movie so viewers will expect even more from Hobbit.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 57
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/14/2012 1:37:53 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

The Red Star Tribune couldn't find its own arse with two hands, a guidebook and a mirror.

"Rotten Tomatoes" by Flixter gives a good national review summary. But you're right-middling reviews by and large that decry the stretching of this singular novel into 9 hours of cinema seems the common thread.

I like the Star-Trib, but it isn't what it used to be. No newspaper is. I also think any newspaper which runs Katherine Kersten every other week doesn't deserve any sort of liberal label.

Their movie critic isn't the worst I've seen, but he likes what he likes. I've followed the development of "Hobbit" for awhile, and I've read the book and liked it. But there's no way it should be three movies when LOTR did a masterful job with three as well. This is pandering to fanbois and shaking down the wallets of same. I could see two, if they lingered on details, but three is over the top.

A fair number of comments also go to the frame rate innovations. Apparently for some viewers the hyper-reality of the double rate makes the sets look like theatrical sets and not movie sets, which breaks the mood. When you see a play you inwardly accept the limitations of the stage and sets and a good director uses that. But when you see a movie you expect it to be 360 degree "reality" with no edges and no feeling its all being held up by 2 x 4s behind the facade.

I'll certainly watch the movies when they come to HBO et al, but I haven't been to a theater movie since idiots started bringing cell phones in and using them.

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 58
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/14/2012 3:39:10 PM   
veji1

Like all, big fan of all the books. LOTR, Hobbit, Silmarrilion (actually my favorite) and unfinished tales.

I liked the movies as well, found the landscapes and most of the visuals stunning but what quite annoyed by the "heavyness" of Jackson's direction, ie slow mo, celticotitanic style music all the time, forlorn looks and teary eyes wondering about this or that...

I would have really liked to have a director with the same sense of space and action, but a crisper, subtler sense of drama. Sure Tolkien despite his talent is no shakespeare, but the nefarious power of the ring, the sense of destiny weighing on Aragorn's shoulder, the time for definitive exile for Elrond and Galadriel, the choice of mortality for Elrond's daughter, etc...

Lots of "dramatic" aspects of the story that would have gained so much had they been filmed by a director with more sense of what dramatic tension is... I mean god some of those celtic flute / violin / teary fog scenes were painful..

So loved the books and really liked the movies, but for some of their heavyhandedness.

Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 59
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/14/2012 4:03:22 PM   
Canoerebel

Me and my family (wife and two sons) made a last-minute decision to go to the midnight showing last night.  My other child was doing the same thing up in Knoxville.  The movie is well made and there are fabulous aspects (Bilbo, Gandalf, Gollem and the Dwarfs are fantastic, but the goblins are poorly done and the CGI battles were pretty substandard, which shocked me).  Overall it doesn't measure up to LOTR, but it's a solid effort.

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: The Hobbit (OT) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI