Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Hobbit (OT)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The Hobbit (OT) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Hobbit (OT) - 12/9/2012 4:39:39 PM   
John 3rd

We're less then a week away from Jackson's unveiling of the Hobbit. I CANNOT wait! My 8 year-old is counting down the days.

Are there other LOTR fans here on the forum? I am sure the answer is YES! Any good stories you have?

Mine:
I began reading Fellowship of the Ring to my son John the night he was born. We read a few pages every night and he was 3 when I completed them. Shifted to the Hobbit and then have moved on to other books since then. Just last July John and Chris requested that I re-read Hobbit which I then did in a couple of months. The attention span has gorwn to where I could read 15-25 pages a night.

Both of the guys make LOTR comments all the time and John does a very SCARY Gollum impression.

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 1
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/9/2012 5:20:51 PM   
panzer cat

I first read rhe Hobbit in 5th or 6th grade back in the late 70's, it's still my favorite book. Like wise we'll take our 8 yr old to see the movie.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/9/2012 5:58:19 PM   
Olorin

Any true LOTR geek can tell from my forum name that I am also a LOTR geek. I am counting the days to the release of the Hobbit. Naturally, I've booked tickets well in advance, in a 48fps enabled theater.

Regarding the book, I read it after I saw the Fellowship. I went to the movie completely blind, with virtually no prior knowledge about plot, characters, the Middle-Earth and having read no reviews, opinions etc about the movie. The effect was that I was completely blown away and sucked in the movie screen from the moment Galadriel started to whisper...
"The world is changed. I feel in the water, I feel it in the earth, I smell it in the air".
That 10-minute prologue, and the Fellowship as a whole, remains the greatest cinematic experience in my life so far. I am hoping that the Hobbit will top it.

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--

(in reply to panzer cat)
Post #: 3
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/9/2012 6:45:30 PM   
Natali

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd
We're less then a week away from Jackson's unveiling of the Hobbit. I CANNOT wait! My 8 year-old is counting down the days.

Are there other LOTR fans here on the forum? I am sure the answer is YES! Any good stories you have?

Mine:
I began reading Fellowship of the Ring to my son John the night he was born. We read a few pages every night and he was 3 when I completed them. Shifted to the Hobbit and then have moved on to other books since then. Just last July John and Chris requested that I re-read Hobbit which I then did in a couple of months. The attention span has gorwn to where I could read 15-25 pages a night.

Both of the guys make LOTR comments all the time and John does a very SCARY Gollum impression.

I'm a big LOTR fan. I'm really into sci-fi and one day a friend says you will love this, it's literature. No blasters or pulse plasma cannons, and it's 'literature'? But I started it. And woke up three days later going WOW! I read the whole series to my daughter on Dad date nights. Now she's old enough to read it herself, for the 10th time. Still always something new to find and wrap her head around. "Dad? Aragorn wandered in the desert, didn't he? You think there's an Aragorn out here? Or maybe in Arizona? Do you think they have Malorn trees in Oregon?"

Loved the movies, as movies, but movies are different from books. I think Peter Jackson did the books justice. I think The Hobbit is more up close and personal than LOTR so it's on a different scale but I'm betting he does it right.

Regards. Sam.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/9/2012 6:51:26 PM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin

Any true LOTR geek can tell from my forum name that I am also a LOTR geek.

Yes, I've noticed. I've sometimes used name Khamul...

I'm a big LOTR fan. Actually big fantacy fan.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 5
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/9/2012 7:53:57 PM   
Encircled

I remember walking into the cinema to see LOTR, after being a massive fan of the books and being completely blown away.

To see what you've been seeing in your mind when you've been reading it was fantastic.

I just hope the hobbit is as good

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/9/2012 8:43:57 PM   
ilovestrategy

I'm what people call a Tolkien freak. I have read LOTR and the Hobbit once a year since 1983. I also play Lord of the Rings Online. I love Tolkien and I have all the movies.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 7
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/9/2012 8:50:56 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

Mine:

Huge fan. Can't get enough of them.

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 8
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/9/2012 10:32:29 PM   
Chickenboy

What they said. Well, not Olorin.

Read the trilogy for the first time in college. Enjoyed them very much. Movies were highly anticipated and well received.

Wife got me a Balrag candleholder a few years back. My favorite bit of "Fellowship". The passages around the introduction of Grond in "Return of the King" still give me goosebumps.

Only read The Hobbit last year. Wife and I took it on a camping trip with us and read several pages a day. Got both of the kids hooked. I can't wait to see how they treat Smaug.

Now my 8 YO is ready for the movie-I think. It's PG-13 so mom and I are going to scout it first while we're down in Texas for the Holidays. If it passes muster, we'll take him another time.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 9
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 3:55:10 AM   
nashvillen

Love all things Tolkien. Was very happy with Jackson's LOTR. Yes, there were some things left out, but they were minor and really not necessary to advance the plot in the long run.

I was very happy to see him take the Hobbit from two to three movies to include a lot of the small stuff to not have to do with it what he did with LOTR. Yes, looking forward to it. Going on opening night/midnight? Not me for any movie. Not a crowd person. Not that I can't stand a crowd, just don't like it. So, a Sunday day show will be enough for me. It will still be crowded, but not crazy like opening night.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 10
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 4:45:23 AM   
Olorin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

What they said. Well, not Olorin.

I love the books too! I just hadn't read them before the first movie, that's all.

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 11
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 5:30:51 AM   
Canoerebel

I don't like fantasyl, so I studiously avoided reading LOTR and Hobbit...until I saw the first LOTR movie.  Then I read them all.  Then I read them all to my youngsters.  Now're, some ten years later, we're all waiting for The Hobbit.  My daughter, a sophomore in college in Knoxville, finishes exams Thursday afternoon and will be in the theater at midnight to see the movie.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 12
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 5:58:44 AM   
JeffK

I started with "The Silmarillion" then went through "The Hobbit", "LOTR", "Unfinished Stories"

An amazing alternate world and languages.

How did he find time to do his real job?

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 13
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 8:25:21 AM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

I was very happy to see him take the Hobbit from two to three movies to include a lot of the small stuff to not have to do with it what he did with LOTR. Yes, looking forward to it. Going on opening night/midnight? Not me for any movie. Not a crowd person. Not that I can't stand a crowd, just don't like it. So, a Sunday day show will be enough for me. It will still be crowded, but not crazy like opening night.

I managed theatres for 30 years (until I got into IT) and if you want to avoid the opening weekend crowds, I'd reccomend taking a nap Sunday afternoon and going to the late show Sunday evening. That was always the first "breather" we had when opening something like "Star Wars" or any other big release.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 14
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 11:14:18 AM   
janh

quote:

I am anticipating that movie as well. The cinema highlight of the year, though that isnt so difficult this year. Hardly any other movie woke my interest, and LoTR movies play in a different league, generally speaking.

I once a loooong time ago started reading the books, just before the first LoTR made it into the theaters. Never finished reading, the movies were very good and with the extended edition, the choice between spending hours reading information now largely known and doing other, new stuff, such as hunting allied CVs across the Pacific, became an easy one. Maybe one day some winter snows, hot tea, an open fire place and a lot of spare time will make me reconsider. At least two of the things are just too scarce at the moment.

I also thought about trying out that LoTR MMOPG one Christmas holiday season. Does anyone know it? Do you have any overlap with the real ring quest in that game? Seems the regions and addons come out very slowly, and they really try to milk players for each little thing and adventure pack? I never understood or liked the idea of buying special weapons, levels and skill with real money, that kind of eliminated the sporty and challenge part to keeps me addicted. Might be worth waiting until the maps are completely done and released in a few year, if ever so?

< Message edited by janh -- 12/10/2012 11:16:51 AM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 15
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 12:02:51 PM   
Olorin

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh

I also thought about trying out that LoTR MMOPG one Christmas holiday season. Does anyone know it? Do you have any overlap with the real ring quest in that game? Seems the regions and addons come out very slowly, and they really try to milk players for each little thing and adventure pack? I never understood or liked the idea of buying special weapons, levels and skill with real money, that kind of eliminated the sporty and challenge part to keeps me addicted. Might be worth waiting until the maps are completely done and released in a few year, if ever so?

The LotR online game is now free to download and play and you only pay for extras. I tried it but I couldn't play more than an hour, I am not into MMORPGs in general. The story does overlap with the events of the War of the Ring. You get to meet Elrond, Gandalf and other major characters and there is a boss fight with a Balrog. The Witch-King is the main villain, iirc.

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 16
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 1:52:42 PM   
GreyJoy

Looking forward for it!
Loved Lotr books and movies, even if, i have to admit, that g.r.r.Martin wins, in my personal hit, hands down.
The biggest Tolkien's merti is, however, to have invented, completely from scratch, a whole new litteral gender.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 17
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 2:46:30 PM   
Thayne

quote:

I have been playing Lord of the Rings Online since its release. It was an anniversary present - something my wife and I enjoy doing together (as opposed to WitPAE - which is a personal interest of mine she does not share.) We have been adventuring together for these five years.

I play on the Landroval server - which is "role-playing encouraged". (If any are familiar with the place, you will know me as Meadowlarke Sweetweed.)

As was said earlier, the events in the game overlap the events in the War of the Rings. Your low-level character will encounter events consistent with the start of the Fellowship of the Ring - Frodo leaving the Shire. As you go through the game, you will encounter the Fellowship in Rivendell, in Lothlorien, and then again further down the river.

The are still building the game. In the most recent release, we got Rohan (and mounted combat).

Given the size of each region, the pace of the release seems quite reasonable. In year 1, they started with the Shire, Bree, Rivendell, and the lands west of the Misty Mountains. Year 2 brought Moria. Year 3 brought Lothlorien and the wood elves. Year 4 gave us the Gap of Rohan and Isengard. Year 5 brings Rohan.

There is a player-versus-player region for those who like competitive gaming. However, most of the world does not allow players to harm other players. It is a cooperative game - which, to me, is a good thing.

You do not have to pay for anything. Everything can be acquired through the game. (There are a couple of exceptions, but none of them essential to play). By paying a standard subscription rate, one can get a monthly allotment of "Turbine points". Of course, if a person wants a lot of storage, cosmetic clothing, and a more rapid progression of levels and skills, one can purchase them as well. Or, one can earn them through the course of playing the game.

I quite enjoy the game. I particularly enjoy the cooperative nature of it. I enjoy the fact that it is something my wife and I can do together that does not involve competing against her.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 18
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 7:18:38 PM   
dr.hal

I read all the books back in the 60s and a few times since. However unlike many of you, I'm not fond of the movies (but I will see the Hobbit). The reason is simple. I know in my "mind's eye" what Bilbo looks like as well as all the other players. I sort of resent the movie's intrusion into that view. I think some of the scenes in the movies were good but again, I had my own view of Middle Earth and I would like to keep it that way! I know this doesn't make much sense, but it is real to me!!!!

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 19
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 7:29:44 PM   
Canoerebel

I think that's a nearly universal feeling.  A movie seldom can match a book.  Just one excellent example is To Kill a Mockingbird.  It's a very fine movie starring Gregory Peck, but it pales in comparison to the book. 

LOTR is one of the few instances in which I think the movie is even better than the book (some other instances:  Doctor Zhivago and Bridge on the River Kwai), though I cheated by seeing the movie first, and that probably influenced me greatly.  The books are excellent, but the movies are sublime. Is it possible that The Hobbit can live up to its predecessors/sequels?  Surely not!  But we can hope.  And if it does, wowzers!  We'll have three movies to look forward to!

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 20
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 8:21:30 PM   
USS America

I read The Hobbit and LotR when I was around 13 - 14. It was just magical. I've reread them at least 5 or 6 times over the years, and The Silmarillion 2 or 3 times. I thought Peter Jackson did a masterful job with the LotR movies. I saw each of them on opening night, owned the regular edition DVD's and Extended Edition set on BluRay. I watch all 3 extended edition movies in a marathon 12-13 hour session every Christmas vacation, and will do so again this year.

Surprisingly to myself, I don't have much excitement for the new Hobbit movies. Maybe it's something to do with the epic scale of The War of the Ring compared to the marvelous adventure of The Hobbit, but I don't get warm fuzzies about splitting it into 3 movies. I have no doubts that Jackson will do another fantastic job with them, and I know I'll enjoy them when I do see them. I just won't be going out of my way to see them in the movie theater.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 21
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 8:43:58 PM   
catwhoorg

Read the Hobbit when I was 10, then LOTR when I was early in secondary school. (12-13).

I like the LOTR films, sure I would have done some things differently, but my wife and I have a holiday tradition of watching them all when we are off work. I have even stopped (mostly) making the same comments to her about the parts that bug me.

Looking forward to the Hobbit greatly.

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 22
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 8:51:36 PM   
Natali

Movies aren't books and books aren't movies. Books work six cognitive brain centers. Movies work four. There's only two in common. A good movie can shift images into the book centers. The book centers will adapt the viewing experience to the book pre-destinination. If you haven't read the book, the movie cognitives will set a "sight and sound" table for further reading.

[source] David Copeland, UNLV, Dept of Psych. And my paper for P-33.

Regards. Sami.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 23
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 9:09:42 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America
I don't get warm fuzzies about splitting it into 3 movies.

I feel the same way. Initial production was slated to be two movies. The third seems like overkill for a single novel, IMO.

I hope this means that The War of the Five Armies gets additional attention. This titanic struggle was shorted in the book, IMO. Having more screen time may mean additional time here.

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 24
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 9:14:27 PM   
bradfordkay

The Hobbit was on my summer reading list before 9th grade (oh, so long ago). I put it off until the very last, crying "I don't want to read a stinking fairy tale!". Halfway through the book I asked my mom to buy me the LOTR trilogy. I then proceeded to re-read the whole series (Hobbit and LOTR) every two years until the movies came out.

There are a few movies out there that rival the books upon which they are based. Prior to Peter Jackson's masterpieces, I would have only put Little Big MAn and Catch 22 into that category (I think that there are a couple of others, but I can't recall them at this point). I liked the fact that Jackson used the Hildebrandt brothers arework as his muse for many parts of Middle Earth, since their calendars for years were the only visual depictions that fit.

I did go see the Fellowship of the Ring on opening day. The local theater had even created a cardboard "hobbit hole entrance" to the seating area to enhance the experience. Since then, I usually wait for a mid-week matinee sometime after the opening weekend for these blockbusters. Luckily, this winter I have been having both Thursday and Friday off work, so that makes it easy this time. Thursday matinees are not usually so packed (thus fewer people talking or using their cell phones).

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Natali)
Post #: 25
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/10/2012 10:36:33 PM   
Panther Bait

I read the Hobbit many, many years ago, and the LOTR in High School as an english class (gotta love those two semesters) and several times since then.  The books are amazing for the level of detail, the thoroughness of the storyline and the history behind it.  As others have said, most of modern-day fantasy books owe at least something to Tolkien's books.

I think where the LOTR movies really shined was by concentrating on the emotions and experiences of the characters while still being true to the basic storyline and depth of detail in the books.  Peter Jackson did a masterful job getting the details correct while not allowing them to bog down the story.  Who here doesn't get misty-eyed or a lump in the throat when Gandalf falls at Khazad-dum?

Aragorn, in particular, gets a tremendous character boost in the movies over the books.  I love the scene in the Two Towers (extended edition, I think) where Eowyn is flirting with Aragorn and comes to realize that he is older than her father. 

I am hopeful that the Hobbit will be a worthy successor. 

Mike

Chickenboy, from what I have heard the Battle of the Five Armies does get a full presentation in the movies (part 3, I assume).  Peter Jackson and the writers supposedly also took story elements from other Tolkien sources (Unfinished Tales, the RotK Appendices, etc.) to fill in some of the missing pieces of the Hobbit, e.g. what Gandalf is doing while he's away from the dwarves/Bilbo.

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 26
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/11/2012 9:34:28 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thayne

quote:

I have been playing Lord of the Rings Online since its release. It was an anniversary present - something my wife and I enjoy doing together (as opposed to WitPAE - which is a personal interest of mine she does not share.) We have been adventuring together for these five years.

I play on the Landroval server - which is "role-playing encouraged". (If any are familiar with the place, you will know me as Meadowlarke Sweetweed.)

As was said earlier, the events in the game overlap the events in the War of the Rings. Your low-level character will encounter events consistent with the start of the Fellowship of the Ring - Frodo leaving the Shire. As you go through the game, you will encounter the Fellowship in Rivendell, in Lothlorien, and then again further down the river.

The are still building the game. In the most recent release, we got Rohan (and mounted combat).

Given the size of each region, the pace of the release seems quite reasonable. In year 1, they started with the Shire, Bree, Rivendell, and the lands west of the Misty Mountains. Year 2 brought Moria. Year 3 brought Lothlorien and the wood elves. Year 4 gave us the Gap of Rohan and Isengard. Year 5 brings Rohan.

There is a player-versus-player region for those who like competitive gaming. However, most of the world does not allow players to harm other players. It is a cooperative game - which, to me, is a good thing.

You do not have to pay for anything. Everything can be acquired through the game. (There are a couple of exceptions, but none of them essential to play). By paying a standard subscription rate, one can get a monthly allotment of "Turbine points". Of course, if a person wants a lot of storage, cosmetic clothing, and a more rapid progression of levels and skills, one can purchase them as well. Or, one can earn them through the course of playing the game.

I quite enjoy the game. I particularly enjoy the cooperative nature of it. I enjoy the fact that it is something my wife and I can do together that does not involve competing against her.

I am in the Nimrodel server. My main's name is Nymphonic. I started playing waaaaaaaay back in April 2007 on launch day and have played ever since.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 27
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/11/2012 11:21:26 AM   
HansBolter

After first discovering The Hobbit at age 15, I studiously reread the entire series, including the Silmarillion, once a year for the next 30 years.

The last ten years I have tapered off and only read it three or four times more.

I really hope it isn't going to be as dizzying as the pundits are claiming with its double normal frame rate of 48 fps.

Hans

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 28
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/11/2012 1:31:46 PM   
dr.hal

Brad, I was teaching our freshmen a few years ago and had an occasion to say "that's a catch 22" and NO one in the class had a clue what I was talking about. I guess we are getting very old...... Hal

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 29
RE: The Hobbit (OT) - 12/11/2012 1:46:39 PM   
Canoerebel

Back in 1993, when I was 32 years old, I took an adjunct teaching job at a local college.  I was only seven years out of college myself, so there was no sense that I was "older" or "of a different generation."  One day, I mentioned during a lecture singer Dan Fogelberg, who was certainly a star well into the '80s.  It was obvious from the eyes of my students that they had no idea who I was talking about.  So I asked them:  "You guys have heard of Dan Fogelberg, haven't you?"  Nope.  Not a one of them.  That was the first time I ever had the sense that I was getting "old."

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 12/11/2012 1:47:04 PM >

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The Hobbit (OT) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI