Assualt Combat/ Hit Priorities

Combat Command is Boku Strategy Games World War II operational game. strategy games played warfare on a hex playing field with turn-based game play utilizing company-sized units. Game design aspects include turn phases, combat resolution, unit design, scenarios and artificial intelligence.

Moderator: Obsolete

genehaynes

Assualt Combat/ Hit Priorities

Post by genehaynes »

Section 10.6.4 (Hit Priorties) refers to a "4th" hit. Yet the Assualt Combat table shows a maximum of 3 hits. Am I missing something?

Fred98

RE: Assualt Combat/ Hit Priorities

Post by Fred98 »

You are talking about hits on the Attacker.

You seem to have picked up an inconstency in the manual.

genehaynes

Post by genehaynes »

Joe,

No, hits on the defender also refer to a 4th hit.

Also, while doing a little testing, I set up a situation where one armor unit assualted a lone AT unit. Although the result called for 1 hit on the AT (i.e. D1 in the CRT), there was no hit in the game. I'm not %100 sure, but it looked like either a D2 or D3 result was needed to score a hit. This apparent anomaly only happened when assualting a LONE AT unit. I just thought that maybe the way hit priorities are handled might be the reason. If you get a chance, could you give me a "sanity" check on this?

BTW, I'm really enjoying this game. For such a small footprint (approx. 200mb), there's an awfull lot to it.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

As for the defender the situation is different.

If 2 or more regiments attack, each regiment attacks seperatly.

So, its quite likely a stack will take more than 3 hits.

genehaynes

Post by genehaynes »

Joe,

I'm only attacking with ONE Unit (against a lone AT unit). It seemed that whenever the results on the CRT were less than 2 hits the AT unit took no damage. When the results were D2 or D3 the AT unit was destroyed. It's no big deal, just seems to be a quirk of the logic used for hit priorities.

If you get chance load a scenario (play both sides), and attack a LONE AT unit with ONE Inf or Armor unit and see if you get the results I got. I used Medjez El Bab. On the second turn Axis reinforcements arrive at the top of map. The Allies have an AT unit nearby that you can attack.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I have now tested this and you are correct.

If the result is D3 or D2 the unit is always destroyed.

If the result is D1 it is never destroyed and it should be.

Clearly a bug. Too bad the developers have deserted us.

Rather than a bug, I suspect there is another dice roll modifyer that does not show up in the results.

genehaynes

Post by genehaynes »

Joe,

Bottom line is, it really doesn't detract from the game. Usually the odds are so heavily in favor of the attacker a D2 or D3 result isn't hard to get.

Also, it looks like when using HE Direct Fire during a NIGHT turn, ALL terrain is treated as non-cover, non-high ground (i.e. 50% reduction of the hit number). I kind of like this. Combat at night probably wasn't as effective as during the day.

Another little feature I like is the way adjacent, opposing units become "semi-glued" to each other. It makes you more careful when planning assualts. Once you make contact it can be a b..ch to disengage[:)]

Return to “Combat Command Series”