Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

More worrying PC gamer news

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> More worrying PC gamer news Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
More worrying PC gamer news - 12/7/2012 1:09:39 PM   
wodin

Seems Intel are thinking of going socketless CPU's thereby finishing off DIY builds...

AMD have promised they wont go that route for the time being...

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/amd_reaffirms_commitment_socketed_cpus_through_least_2014

If Intel do this and add the Win 8 OS the PC just becomes a console in the end...

Though saying all this usually when I upgrade a CPU I'm upgrading the whole system..only Graphics Cards do I upgrade really..and maybe more Mem...

We have to hope AMD are still around though...

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/amd_hires_jp_morgan_explore_options_including_outright_sale345

< Message edited by wodin -- 12/7/2012 1:13:11 PM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 1
RE: More worrying PC gamer news - 12/7/2012 1:56:00 PM   
Josh

Yeah no worries, some things may go and some things will stay for a while. As long as we can play our wargames on a large screen and has a mouse/keyboard to it... I wouldn't worry too much.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: More worrying PC gamer news - 12/7/2012 3:33:38 PM   
catwhoorg

I normally buy a new MoBo when I plan on getting a new CPU anyway, as I do a rebuild so rarely (probably about every 5 years. Going to do my wife's PC as a Christmas present).

Tech moves so fast, that it is basically the power supply and the box is all that I keep. Everything is potentially on the chopping block.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 3
RE: More worrying PC gamer news - 12/7/2012 5:13:51 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

Yeah - the window where you can meaningfully upgrade a CPU without a new motherboard is fairly short. So I don't see it as being a huge issue, although I would definitely prefer that they didn't do it, purely from a liking to tinker point of view :)

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 4
RE: More worrying PC gamer news - 12/8/2012 12:58:28 AM   
JiminyJickers

I don't like the idea personally.  But then again, I have never updated a CPU without updating the motherboard also.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 5
RE: More worrying PC gamer news - 12/8/2012 3:17:37 AM   
hadberz

I can normally squeeze a cpu upgrade onto a motherboard, but then I been using AMD for the past decade. That is really only to upgrade another computer in the house i.e. my computer gets the latest cpu, my sons gets the hand-me-down cpu. :) IMO there will always be DIY. Folks may have to learn to solder though :)

(in reply to JiminyJickers)
Post #: 6
RE: More worrying PC gamer news - 12/8/2012 5:16:36 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

IMO there will always be DIY. Folks may have to learn to solder though :)

As circuitry gets smaller and smaller (and it has to for the fast clock times of modern systems), only the most skilled people are going to be able to solder the connections. I agree that a new CPU without a new motherboard is not very useful these days, but there don't seem to be as many good deals for board-plus-CPU combos these days. I like the idea of building my own, but my next system may be a store-bought box. Yes, there may always be DIY people, but they will be a tiny fraction.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> More worrying PC gamer news Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI