Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Port Swettenham

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Port Swettenham Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Port Swettenham - 12/6/2012 11:04:01 PM   
el cid again

For reasons unclear, there is no RR to Port Swettenham. But - as you shall see - it was developed by the Malay RR company itself.

HistoryKlang was formerly the terminus of the government railway and the port of the State.[3] In 1880, the state capital of Selangor was moved from Klang to the more strategically advantageous Kuala Lumpur.[4] Rapid development at the new administrative centre in the late 1800s attracted businessmen and job seekers alike from Klang. At this time the only methods of transport between Klang and Kuala Lumpur were by horse or buffalo drawn wagons, or boat ride along the Klang River to Damansara. Due to this Frank Swettenham stated to Selangor's British Resident at the time, William Bloomfield Douglas,[5] that the journey to Kuala Lumpur was "rather long and boring".[6] He continued to suggest a train line be built as an alternative route.

In September 1882, Sir Frank Athelstane Swettenham was appointed Selangor’s new Resident. Swettenham initiated a rail link between Klang and Kuala Lumpur to overcome the transport problems particularly of the tin mining interests, who needed to convey the ore to Klang's port, Pelabuhan Batu.[7] Nineteen and a half miles of rail track from Kuala Lumpur to Bukit Kudu was opened in September 1886, and extended 3 miles to Klang in 1890.[8][9][10]

.[11][12] The river navigation, however, was difficult as only ships drawing less than 3.9 metres (13 ft) of water could come up the jetty, and thus a new port was selected near the mouth of the river as the anchorage was good. Developed by the Malayan Railway and officially opened 15 years later in 15 September 1901 by Swettenham himself, the new port was named Port Swettenham.

Post #: 1
RE: Port Swettenham - 12/7/2012 3:03:47 AM   
JeffK

We also dont get the line from Numurkah to Waaia or East Shepparton to Yarrawonga and the rail network in the Otways is totally absent!

< Message edited by JeffK -- 12/7/2012 3:04:11 AM >

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 2
RE: Port Swettenham - 12/7/2012 1:40:19 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

The Numurkah-Waaia line was extended to Picola. And the timber tramways in Tasmania are missing as well...

Carpe Cerevisiam

WitP AAR "Six Years of War"

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 3
RE: Port Swettenham - 12/7/2012 4:37:43 PM   
el cid again

Please elaborate.

Found this:

Numurkah railway stationFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search Numurkah

Looking south, platform to the right
Station statistics
Lines Goulburn Valley
Platforms 1
Tracks 1
Other information
Opened 1881
Station status Closed

Numurkah is a closed railway station on the Goulburn Valley railway in the town of Numurkah, Victoria, Australia. The station opened as the terminus of the railway from Shepparton on 1 September 1881[1] The line was extended north to Strathmerton and Cobram in October 1888, as well as a short distance west to Nathalia. The latter line was extended to Picola in 1896 as the Picola line,[2] with the junction located to the north of the station at the down end.

New station buildings were opened on 29 May 1969.[3] Passenger services beyond the station to Cobram were discontinued in 1981 as part of the New Deal timetable, but were resumed in 1983. The final closure was in 1993, when the Cobram service was cut back to Shepparton,[2] as it is today. Present facilities at the station include a disused platform, a station building now leased to a local business, a footbridge over the tracks, a disconnected turntable, and grain silos.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 12/9/2012 5:48:52 PM >

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 4
RE: Port Swettenham - 12/7/2012 4:40:50 PM   
el cid again

The NW tramway I think is not needed. Just one hex long - from the end of the RR to the (missing) port at the end of the highway - the primary road serves adequately to represent movement of things down the tramway for that hex. There should be a city at the end of the RR (Smithton) and another at the end of the road (Marrawah).

Launceton is in the wrong hex - it belongs one hex SE - and REMAINS a port - it is a river port. Move it only if you change the NW hex side to a navigable river - which it is. The present Launceton hex is navigable on the SE hexside. The port value might be reduced to a 1.

Any idea what the main road to the East of Launceton is about? Was it present in 1941?

< Message edited by el cid again -- 12/7/2012 4:46:53 PM >

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 5
RE: Port Swettenham - 12/7/2012 8:33:19 PM   
JeffK

How do you imagine the population of Tasmania got around, dugout canoe??

LST, I never knew which was th end of the line, I used to get off at Nathalia.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 6
RE: Port Swettenham - 12/8/2012 12:41:33 AM   
el cid again

The question was about a specific road

a main highway

to nowhere?

Where were they getting around to?

There is a road and rail line parallel to it farther west. And not a single town on the road. Is it a senic tourist route,
or access to mines, or what? The longest road on the island must have a reason for existance. I try to justify the
infrastructures with actual towns or facilities on them.

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Port Swettenham Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI