Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

C & C -- Soviets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> C & C -- Soviets Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
C & C -- Soviets - 12/5/2012 4:11:43 PM   
Arne Beruldsen

What is the consequence of a Soviet Army HQ being overloaded? For example is it a big deal to be -1 or -2?

Secondly, what is the role of the Soviet Military Districts? Should I employ them in some front-role or leave them in the rear?
Post #: 1
RE: C & C -- Soviets - 12/5/2012 4:47:02 PM   
gingerbread

Yes, it's a big deal - all of the rolls of the Army leader are modified by the amount overloaded on a 1 to 1 ratio.

Overload Fronts instead.

MD's can't be moved, but can often be used since the command range to their Army HQ's is 45 hexes.

(in reply to Arne Beruldsen)
Post #: 2
RE: C & C -- Soviets - 12/5/2012 4:52:03 PM   
gradenko_2000

For every point above the limit, the random roll required for the unit to pass its leadership check is increased by one. That said, by the time you get to the Front level, some players would consider it better to keep the Fronts overloaded anyway, to the tune of 4-5 armies per Front.

Soviet Military Districts are essentially immobile Fronts. You can use them if the battle is close enough for anyone assigned to the MD to still be in command range, which would take some pressure off your "real" Fronts, but you should un-assign them once the lines have moved sufficiently westwards.

Post #: 3
RE: C & C -- Soviets - 12/5/2012 4:52:24 PM   
Arne Beruldsen

Thanks for that. I would seem then ... that is there is a significant shortage of HQs ... is that correct?

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 4
RE: C & C -- Soviets - 12/5/2012 4:58:20 PM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arne Beruldsen

Thanks for that. I would seem then ... that is there is a significant shortage of HQs ... is that correct?

There are a handfull of missing Russian HQs as compared to historical, but those won't solve Russian C&C problems. The C&C problem is a historical one, and is reasonably well replicated in the game. Many tactics can be used to ease the strain: rotating units into and out of HQs, using STAVKA and MDs for rear area units, etc. C&C improves later in the game, with Front HQs having their capacity increased and the C&C cost of Rifle Corps being less than the equivalent number of Rifle Divisions.

Post #: 5
RE: C & C -- Soviets - 12/5/2012 5:01:56 PM   
Arne Beruldsen

If a Soviet Tank Army HQ is only 15 ... what would an appropriate composition be? Three Tank Corps and ?

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 6
RE: C & C -- Soviets - 12/5/2012 5:51:07 PM   
morvael

Take note that it is the max die result that is modified, not the result of the roll, so the effect of overloading by 1 is the largest individually, but still manageable by good leaders.

Example: no overload, leader skill 6, the test is D(10)<=6, the chance of success 6/10=60%
1 over limit, D(11) is used instead of D(10), the chance of success is 6/11=54.5%
5 over limit, D(15) is used, the chance of success is 6/15=40%

To maximize command effect I think it's better to never overload, even fronts. Just keep all the extra armies under STAVKA (which is never overloaded) and stick to 4 armies per front (5 when rifle corps will reduce load).

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> C & C -- Soviets Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI