Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Courier orders???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Scourge of War Series >> Tech Support >> Courier orders??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Courier orders??? - 12/5/2012 12:45:43 AM   
Majick

Hello All,

I'm wanting very much to like this game but totally stuck on tutorials 4 and 5. As a Divisional or Corps commander I can't get subordinates to execute my orders at all.

For example, at start of tutorial 4 I tell Avery to move to the left of 31st virginia. The courier rides to him. There is some flickering of couriers around Avery, but they don't ride anywhere, and then nothing happens. If I tell him to give me a status report, same again. I am letting the time default to immediate on the orders and as far as I can see the time on the order matches current game time.

Such a shame because the game seems to have so much potential. But if I have to micromanage commands, switch off couriers, and enable the free camera in order to exercise any influence at all on the battle, then it loses it's authenticity and is not performing as claimed in the slightest.

Any ideas out there?

Jon

Revision: It looks like I can get some movement in tutorial 5 by issuing 'move to, move your unit 300 yds in direction' commands. However, still seem unable to control anything very much via courier in tutorial 4 (divisional command), using any orders

< Message edited by Majick -- 12/5/2012 7:52:11 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Courier orders??? - 12/5/2012 3:40:45 PM   
MarchingThruGeorgia

It sounds as if you are trying to give your units orders via Free Text of from the list in the Information tab. All of that is meant to be used when playing with other humans, i.e. multi-player. You'll want to use the commands in the Orders tab. There is a 'how-to' tutorial on the NSD forum:
Courierbattle:Action at Trostle Farm
You will also find a number of threads in that same sub-forum that gives other tips on using the courier system efficiently. IMHO the courier system is the best feature of the game.

Secession is futile.

(in reply to Majick)
Post #: 2
RE: Courier orders??? - 12/5/2012 3:44:35 PM   
Majick

Thanks very much for the link!

I guess thats why the status report message is not working, but not so sure about the 'move your unit 300yds', but I'll check it out and hopefully that will sort me!

(in reply to MarchingThruGeorgia)
Post #: 3
RE: Courier orders??? - 12/5/2012 7:45:01 PM   
Majick

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarchingThruGeorgia

It sounds as if you are trying to give your units orders via Free Text of from the list in the Information tab. All of that is meant to be used when playing with other humans, i.e. multi-player. You'll want to use the commands in the Orders tab. There is a 'how-to' tutorial on the NSD forum:

You will also find a number of threads in that same sub-forum that gives other tips on using the courier system efficiently. IMHO the courier system is the best feature of the game.

Hmmm. I just spent 10 minutes in scenario 1 sitting in front of Devin telling him to move his unit 300 yards forward. The courier rides to him and then his couriers flicker momentarily around him and then disappear and nobody moves. I'm getting the same behaviour on tutorial 4 (divisional).

You mentioned in your guide the following sequence:

Move your unit...to the left flank of....Ward

I have no 'move your unit' command and have no idea where you are finding that. All I have is specific 'move your unit in direction' and 'move your unit forward' type commands. Without the 'move your unit' command you are referring to it simply isn't possible to give enough effective orders. It all seems to be a bit broken right now.

(in reply to MarchingThruGeorgia)
Post #: 4
RE: Courier orders??? - 12/5/2012 10:35:09 PM   
Majick

Ahah I think my problem is fixed! I tried uninstalling and re-installing and now things seem to be working right. I think I may have confused things when I installed Chancellorsville..

Thanks for the pointers MTG

(in reply to Majick)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Scourge of War Series >> Tech Support >> Courier orders??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI